What is your preferred virtual world?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My favorite was The Elton Chong Virtual University. An online campus where I did a 3-year course in Japanese, Python and Space Science (you could also do Javascript, Gender Studies and Cryptocurrency if you wanted).I always hated RL school: amazing how much you learn when you're being taught by a floating squid, a flashing traffic cone or a neko dominatrix instead. Great courses, great people/robots/creatures and some wonderful, post-class parties in the student union bar.

I used to also visit BrianLife, run by the jolly, avuncular Brian, who would personally greet all new sign-ups as they rezzed into his living room. Unfortunately, Brian was very lonely in RL and would insist on accompanying you everywhere around his virtual neighbourhood, talking non-stop - hence his low resident retention rate (and eventual suicide).

My least favorite was The Boardroom. Supposed to be a meeting place and hang-out for budding Bitcoin traders, was mostly just guys in Freebie Galaxy-style suits, talking about how SL's gone downhill.

13 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

You don't need to dream. Turn the computer off and you're IN the world you described ;) Get up and enjoy it.

I spend a lot of time enjoying Real World :)

But travelling in RL can be very expensive and if you think we have lag in SL, do you know how long it takes for an RL airplane to load???

Not everybody can fully enjoy RL. They may have health issues or money problems or there may be some other limiting factors.

I may be wrong but I think it's possible to define three broad categories of virtual reality users although it's hard to draw an exact border between the last two:

Some want a simpler life. They're struggling to cope with the confusion and complexity of RL so they escape to a more predictable place where they have more control over the surroundings.

Some want a more complex life. Real Life is great but it's not enough!

Some want a life. Disabled people, people who never had a proper childhood, women who could never have a child. A simulation may not be as good as the real thing but it can be better than nothing at all.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Not to put too fine a point on it (I will anyway), but World of Warcraft is a MMORPG, not a VR.

SL is a VR, not a MMORPG.

The two categories are as different as night and day.

WoW's the only MMORPG I've ever played and SL's the only VR I'll ever be interested in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 11:22 AM, Orwar said:

Do you prefer tomatoes or jeans?

I like to eat tomatoes while wearing a skirt.

Oh and they only virtual world on the list I have ever  done anything with is SL

2 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I read the topic title with barely-awake eyes and thought it said "What is your perfumed virtual world?" so I went "Yay!  Smelly Second Life at last!".

I am disappointed.

I don't want to even begin to imagine what a packed Zindra Infohub filled with noobs in fugly-tech avis, spampires, and yiff-obsessed 10 year old sculpty fursonas would smell like...

• Haha 2

On 10/12/2018 at 12:01 AM, ChinRey said:

My preferred virtual world has large coherent landscapes where I can walk or drive for miles and miles without annoying interruptions, it's highly immersive so I can feel I'm a part of it rather than just a spectator, it's fast enough to load and run I don't have to wait too long, it doesn't require a powerhouse of a computer, it has an easy-to-use interface that doesn't distract me from the experience and it's full of itneresting people and experiences.

That would be Lord of the Rings Online.

• Like 3

On that list:

• Minecraft, Roblox, World of Warcraft, Poptropica, Neopets are games, not social worlds.
  • Club Penguin, WeeWorld, SmallWorlds, and Meez are closed/discontinued.
  • Woozworld, Habbo, SmallWorlds, OurWorld, Fantage, Stardoll, Neopets, Poptropica, Moshi Monsters, WeeWorld, Webkinz, Meez, and Roblox are targeted towards children.

That leaves.. Twinity and IMVU. I've never played either. IMVU can arguably be targeted towards children but I know adults play it to. All I know is competing virtual world users are quite hostile towards Second Life, despite Second Life having more creative freedom in my opinion(and also movement freedom in the case of IMVU).

On other virtual worlds I know of that are not on the list and I have tried:

• Furcadia - Grew up on there, 2D isometric game targeted towards furries. Unfortunately it seems to have been starting to slowly die lately. Haven't been on there(regularly) in years.
  • Google Lively(Dead) - Oh boy, this is basically Google trying to pull a Google+ but with virtual worlds. It died quickly, it was slow, sluggish, no one knew what they were doing, and worst of all, it was only accessible through the web browser.
  • Whirled(Also dead) - Also grew up here, 2D game, flash based but worked pretty well. Want to fork the code one day and get a server running(if maven will behave) for nostalgic reasons.
  • Miuchiz(Also dead) - Was a bit fun, not really exciting, it came with a handheld you would plug into the computer to sync your character. Ran the Active Worlds engine.
  • Active Worlds - After messing with the files of Miuchiz, I found out about Active Worlds. It looks OLD Second Life but downgraded to oblivion. Physics are extra crusty, and "regions" cost quite a bit of money which you then have to host yourself.
  • Digital Space Traveler - Stuck in the 90s in almost every way. I think it just stays alive due to people keeping web servers running and forgetting they have it.

Worlds I would like to try:

• Sansar - LL pls giv linux. ?
  • High Fidelity - Philip pls giv linux. ?

Worlds I haven't tried and won't try:

• Worlds.com - 500x worse(graphically) than Active Worlds, they only exist to patent troll any online game.

In the end, I am going to just stay loyal to Second Life / Linden Lab. SL has all I need and is actively developed.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 7:22 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Why? And why didn’t you tell us which ones you have an account on?

I'll tell you right now. I did make accounts in IMVU,  Minecraft, Roblox, Woozworld, and Habbo. I borrowed someone's unwanted account in Poptropica. I made accounts in Roblox and Habbo because I was curious and wanted to explore it since a friend played it. I quit them later on because there's nothing to do. I borrowed someone's unwanted account in Poptropica because I didn't have an account. That person was quitting Poptropica. I like it that they included history in Poptropica, and every character look like frogs dressed in human clothes.

I made an account in Woozworld because I was probably bored. After Pixie Hollow closed down, I stayed in that virtual world and tried to find people my age. I was just graduating 8th grade at that time. I created an empire and ruled over a roleplay genre. I had a million people in my friends list, and I was very well-known by the people, as 10 and more people would follow me around each minute, trying to talk to me about countries, militaries, enemies, wars, history, royal feasts, etc. Luckily, after meeting many people, I at least befriended someone decent and became close friends with him. My relationships with the other people usually ended in wars or we left each other. I was very nice to my supporters even though some of them sided with my enemies. Then my accounts got hacked on my birthday, and I slowly left Woozworld with my close friend, and we moved to Steam and Discord. The pros of Woozworld that it did improve my social skills, my tactics, thinking, and got to practice my leadership skills. The con is that it was about 4 years wasted on raging wars against my enemies while they kept stealing my stuff and adding more obstacles that made it harder for me to reach my wants. For some unknown natural reasons, I put my wants first over the other people around me.

I made an account in Minecraft because it looked interesting. Then my brother joined in, and he sometimes plays Minecraft. Guess who ended up playing Minecraft more? My brother. But for me, I played it a little until I left it because I got too busy with managing my empire.

I made an account in IMVU because I was probably in a mood to create an avatar and find a new world to create an empire and restore my former glory. It's the same reason for Second Life. I slowly left IMVU because I started getting more homework in school.

Now you know about my accounts. I'll update this topic's description and add in my own.

On 10/11/2018 at 7:23 AM, Vanity Fair said:

You asked about my opinions, so here you go:

IMVU - tried it a couple of times, not interested

Second Life - I've been a regular user since 2007

Woozworld - never heard of it

Habbo - heard of it, but never used it

Twinity - I was an early user, but it's a dead world with few users

SmallWorlds - never heard of it

OurWorld - never heard of it

Fantage - never heard of it

Stardoll - never heard of it

Neopets - never heard of it

World of Warcraft - I played for about a year, never got up past level 20

Poptropica - never heard of it

Club Penguin heard of it, never used it

Moshi Monsters - never heard of it

WeeWorld - never heard of it

Webkinz - never heard of it

Meez - never heard of it

Minecraft -heard of it, never used it

Roblox - tried it once, not interested

Most of these are CLEARLY aimed more towards children and teenagers rather than adults. If you want an up-to-date list of social VR, virtual worlds, and metaverse platforms, you can use my list as a starting point:

https://ryanschultz.com/list-of-social-vr-virtual-worlds/

I know. That was years ago, and I was a young teenager. Sorry about those virtual worlds. I thought that many people would know about those worlds.

On 10/13/2018 at 7:18 AM, Chaser Zaks said:

All I know is competing virtual world users are quite hostile towards Second Life, despite Second Life having more creative freedom in my opinion(and also movement freedom in the case of IMVU).

Why would they be hostile to Second Life? I think Second Life is much more fun even though I've been in other virtual worlds longer.

On 10/11/2018 at 3:01 PM, ChinRey said:

My preferred virtual world has large coherent landscapes where I can walk or drive for miles and miles without annoying interruptions, it's highly immersive so I can feel I'm a part of it rather than just a spectator, it's fast enough to load and run I don't have to wait too long, it doesn't require a powerhouse of a computer, it has an easy-to-use interface that doesn't distract me from the experience and it's full of interesting people and experiences.

Oh well, I can dream, can't I?

In the meantime, SL isn't too bad compared to the others.

Yes, exactly.

Many of the latest generation of MMOs have all those features. They have seamless worlds bigger than SL continents. They have large numbers of simultaneous users. They have in-world persistence and building.

The toolchains for building a big-world MMO are becoming standardized. Soon, anyone will be able to spin up a big virtual world on AWS with huge size and AAA title graphics quality, much as anyone can now download Unreal Engine 4 and make a single-user game. Look at demo videos of SpatialOS games. The future will be about content and building an online society like SL, not the machinery underneath.

This is going to be hard on Sansar and High Fidelity, which have their own engines to maintain, no user base, and have trouble keeping up.

• Like 1

Funny thing, today I dreamed about a virtual world that was a mix of the sims and second life. You had the building mechanics of the sims, but you could customize textures and even upload new meshes like SL, you purchased your land and you could build on it, no prim limitation and the tools were easy and intuitive to use. You could even have a "town view" with a free camera if you were the owner and didn't want to use an avatar to walk around the place.

I woke up sad it wasn't a real game.

5 hours ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

Funny thing, today I dreamed about a virtual world that was a mix of the sims and second life. You had the building mechanics of the sims, but you could customize textures and even upload new meshes like SL, you purchased your land and you could build on it, no prim limitation and the tools were easy and intuitive to use. You could even have a "town view" with a free camera if you were the owner and didn't want to use an avatar to walk around the place.

I woke up sad it wasn't a real game.

You're describing Sinespace. Lots of fun for builders. Few users. Like Sansar, there's no mainland - each creator has their own world.

I tried Sinespace, it's not really intuitive from my beginner point of view, I grew up playing games and I usually catch up to interfaces quickly but Sinespace is a big mess of "what?". Also the housing system was not exactly like what I dreamed about and avatar customization way too limited. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.