Why is Linden Labs stealing our money? (Linden Realms)

Sylvia Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 15 October 2018 at 6:28 AM, Ethan Paslong said:

in the last posts i miss something... it's only about getting the money... but hey guys, you forget it's a GAME ...

For many people the OLD LR was a game... A crap game that became boring about the time you finishedthe last of it's "plot left hanging" mini storyline quests...

The only reason you went back was...

One shiny L$ for every 10 lumps of orange rock you handed in...

One hour got you the seed money to upload 5 textures, to put on your home made home scripted prim products, another hour in the Realms got you a weeks rental on a stall in some forgotten mall where you could sell your stuff...

A few more hours kept your stall open until people noticed your stuff, and bought some, so you could rent a shop, upload more textures, make more stuff, grow your brand...

The Realms were ALWAYS work...

Hardly anyone went there because "it's a game".

By your definition, being a homeless beggar on a street corner, trying to scrap together enough loose change for a burger is a "game"...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

By your definition, being a homeless beggar on a street corner, trying to scrap together enough loose change for a burger is a "game"...

no, because we'r talking about a penny giving game within Second Life, not about the people who live on the streets of RL without a 1k smartphone or 750+  dollar pc/laptop and 100mbps internet connection.

12 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

no, because we'r talking about a penny giving game within Second Life, not about the people who live on the streets of RL without a 1k smartphone or 750+  dollar pc/laptop and 100mbps internet connection.

The fact that you assume EVERYONE in SL has ANY of those things let alone all of them, shows you are projecting YOUR lifestyle onto everyone else...

It's like those idiots who mutter that obviously EVERYONE can buy linden, because $500 pc's and a $15 a day designer caffeinated mud habit...

Same crappy arguments trotted out every damn time, "I assume everyone lives where I live, and has my income and computer hardware setup, therefore why can't they do what I do..."

Most people in the Realms were NOT there for fun, any more than the people sitting on 5 ls an hour camping chairs, or doing crappy 25 ls an hour greeter jobs are.

You remind me of a TV show here in the UK many years ago.

They took a rich divorcee with a 11 yr old son, and swapped her live with a single mum on welfare with a similar aged son for two weeks...

The most telling comment on the whole exercise came at the end of the show when the rich kid, was asked for his thoughts...

"It had never occurred to me that people might choose what to eat based on how much it costs rather than what it tastes like..."

Welcome to reality, we don't ALL have 1k+ smartphones, 750+ pc's and 100mb unlimited broadband, or credit cards, or bank accounts, or good health,  with perfect 20/20 vision, or any number of things you might have and assume are normal.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

There are a whole lot of people who don't have payment information on file. And they never will get PIOF either. Maybe they can't get a credit card due to the financial system of their country (LL won't accept debit cards). Maybe they are over 18 but under 21 (which excludes them from credit in soume Euro countries). Maybe they don't want a spouse to know. Maybe they are running on a computer provided for free in a library, or something salvaged from a junk pile.

While they can get into SL, it doesn't mean they are "rich" enough to own what we take for granted, heck, I've seen some people in Venezuala running Lumiya on a US$50 android cellphone using stolen wifi.

These people are using LR to generate money. Kly mentions it could be so they can build a business up from zero (without sinking a single centavos into SL). But of course, there will be many who won't use the funds to start a business, they will just grind and grind and grind until they can directly buy a mesh body, or hair, or shoes, or gender bits to go along with their freebies.

Grinding is not a game, it's hell and gone from a game. It's a very low paying job in itself and only a means to get those linden dollars.

Rather then saying it's like begging, I'd say it's akin to standing at some busy traffic lights and washing car windows for a few cents. Grinding car windows until one can afford a meal, or a pack of cigarettes, or some clothes.

Please Ethan, don't assume that just because someone is playing SL they have a smartphone, expensive PC and broadband. Human ingenuity knows no bounds, and it is possible to get a PC from the scrap heap for free, just as it's possible to get WiFi for free.

(heh, even in Australia I am only on 16Mbit/s, I'd kill for 100Mb/s)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

Welcome to reality, we don't ALL have 1k+ smartphones, 750+ pc's and 100mb unlimited broadband, or credit cards, or bank accounts, or good health,  with perfect 20/20 vision, or any number of things you might have and assume are normal.

Isn’t that what he said?

10 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Isn’t that what he said?

No... You misread his post ENTIRELY [MODERATOR EDIT: PROFANITY REMOVED}

What he basically said is

"Everyone who plays SL has a smart phone and a decent pc and fast broadband, and drinks overpriced designer coffee, and can easily afford to cut down by 1 $5 cup a week to buy L$ with the credit card everyone has, and so theres no need for anyone to grind at some crappy low payed job in SL..."

This follows from another post he made in a different thread where he stated "There are no poor people in SL", and then sort of recanted a little by reluctantly admitting there might be "people on fixed incomes", but without admitting that those fixed incomes might be very low.

Edited by Dakota Linden
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.