You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That, I guess, is true probably of most of us. Most of the time, anyway?

Does that mean that "Bree" here is different than "Bree" in-world, in some way? (I don't think I've ever met you in-world.)

Honestly, I think I come across the same in-world. I use full sentences while chatting which I've been told is quite remarkable in SL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Honestly, I think I come across the same in-world. I use full sentences while chatting which I've been told is quite remarkable in SL. 

Mostly, I do. Except in certain contexts, which is one of the reasons why I created this thread. It was odd to suddenly realize that there were situations where I frequently didn't.

I've often thought that a sign of the importance of text communication in SL is the degree to which people who are reasonably articulate (and correct) writers often dominate social situations. Anyone can be "beautiful" or "handsome" in SL: the most that is required is a modicum of taste and deep enough pockets. But the ability to communicate well by text isn't something everyone is capable of mastering.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Now, that's interesting! I don't think there is anything wrong with that (and I do lots of "social" things for myself), but why speak publicly if you don't care who hears, or what they think of it?

I do it because I find it mostly enjoyable, nothing more, nothing less.  It is possible to enjoy interaction with others without being too preoccupied or concerned by the responses.  It isn't that I don't care at all, it's just that I don't put very much weight on it.

There was a time when I let online responses affect me much more.  I didn't like the effect it had on me and I withdrew.  I have learned not be like that any more.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This reminds -- as I had forgotten -- of a few instances in the long-ago past in-world where I found myself particularly emotionally overwrought. And I seem to recall (although maybe this is just my highly coloured memory) my typing -- and my language -- just kind of falling apart.

Ugh. Not good times.

It's at times like these even a jaded vampire is looking for the hug button.

• Like 1

I'll go back and read this whole thread through properly but to answer the OP ....

For the most part the way I type or speak is heavily situational and mood determined - even when In Character for Role Play purposes (the character I use often determined by said factors actually) but for the most part can easily be summed up by simply looking at the image I have chosen to use as my forum avatar: A rather ancient (Nine Tailed/Thousand plus year old) Kitsune.

Part of the reason for this has to do with my personality actually.

Adding in: It also shows in how I react to certain people, venue depending. I have very little tolerance for certain - often very negative - traits or for (needless/destructive) deception. Doing it (being deceptive in general) for a good reason? Fine.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I spent my pre-retirement life as an educator, so I always sound "academic" to myself here in the forums -- long, complex sentences, 25 cent words, heavy punctuation, and lots of qualifiers.  When I think about that voice, I worry that it comes off as pedantic or perhaps more authoritative than I really am in my own head.

This reminds me of being seen as "intimidating" by RL colleagues. I too worry about it, but apparently not enough to figure out what to do about it.

21 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I guess I'm also conscious of being more outgoing in SL than I am in RL, where I am more introverted and hesitant about jumping into a conversation.  That difference has puzzled me for almost 12 years now.

You do have a different voice in world, and I love it.

She didn't pick the last name "Loon" for no reason, people.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The ability to communicate well by text isn't something everyone is capable of mastering.

Mistressing, that would be mistressing.

Some feminist you are.

(ETA: The spell-checker kept suggesting "distressing" for "mistressing", so I stabbed it a little.)

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

There's far too much good-natured and amusing banter going on here.

Please cut it out, and get back to the DEADLY SERIOUS business at hand; namely, reinforcing my unquestioned assumptions about how text works in SL

Thank you.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I do it because I find it mostly enjoyable, nothing more, nothing less.  It is possible to enjoy interaction with others without being too preoccupied or concerned by the responses.  It isn't that I don't care at all, it's just that I don't put very much weight on it.

There was a time when I let online responses affect me much more.  I didn't like the effect it had on me and I withdrew.  I have learned not be like that any more.

You are, I think, a very wise vampire. That has also been a lesson that I've (almost) learned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It's at times like these even a jaded vampire is looking for the hug button.

Hugs are always, of course, appreciated (although I'd like to be sure I'm wearing a turtleneck first)!

Fortunately, overwrought me doesn't appear too often, and not in SL for years and years. But thank you! 

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Because missing comma. Case in point.
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

For the most part the way I type or speak is heavily situational and mood determined - even when In Character for Role Play purposes

Yes, me too, mostly, I think -- although less here than in-world, because I have more time to consider before hitting "send."

I hadn't thought about the impact of mood and context on IC role play, but of course, that makes perfect sense: you're not reading a script, but rather responding in character to a developing narrative and situation (and others). It's entirely logical that you'd still be influenced by such factors!

8 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

I have very little tolerance for certain - often very negative - traits or for (needless/destructive) deception.

I actually wish I had more. It might have assisted in avoiding becoming "overwrought."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
46 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

There's far too much good-natured and amusing banter going on here.

But, but, but ... she was making a serious attempt to analyze my voice. 

In all seriousness, actually, I have commented here several times over the years that my name was not an accident.  At least the front part.  In Swedish, "Rolig" means "humorous", as in " a humorous story."  In Danish, the same word means "calm." I chose it because the two meanings reflect dual aspirations -- characteristics that I wish I had in RL.  That's a sort of baseline statement about my "voice" in SL.  It is what I want to sound like, at least in my own head, when I type something brilliant in chat, whether in world or here in the forums.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

At times, I am very conscious of my voice (or voices) in SL.  I spent my pre-retirement life as an educator, so I always sound "academic" to myself here in the forums -- long, complex sentences, 25 cent words, heavy punctuation, and lots of qualifiers.  When I think about that voice, I worry that it comes off as pedantic or perhaps more authoritative than I really am in my own head.  The effect is muddied by the fact that I never learned to type, so I make enough typos to take the edge off my classroom persona. With or without typos, though, my forum voice is close to my RL voice.

Similarly, I suppose, my own writing has been informed/deformed by academese. (Most academics are gawdawful writers, and academic writing is the best soporific I know.) I try to control that -- maybe I'm more "bloggy" here? But it's a struggle sometimes. I hope I don't come across as . . . I don't know, low-rent Judith Butler or something.

Typing is a really important part of the equation; I hadn't thought of that! I'm a pretty quick typist (except when I let my nails grow long, like now), so maybe that makes me sound more voluble?

23 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm not changing voice consciously.  I'm just in too much of a hurry to get a thought out, so I don't take the time for measured language.  I guess I'm also conscious of being more outgoing in SL than I am in RL, where I am more introverted and hesitant about jumping into a conversation.  That difference has puzzled me for almost 12 years now. Regardless of why I shift voice in world, though, I notice that one result is that I become much more colloquial than the RL voice in my head is.

Yeah, perfect. One of the contexts in-world, of course, is fast-talking banter: my mind definitely outruns my grammar and spelling then!

I wonder how much my text writing style (ALL of our text writing styles: SMS, etc.) have impacted on our real world conversation (or way of thinking)?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Oh! I needed to take into account forgetting to proof-read before hitting "send"! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Mistressing, that would be mistressing.

Some feminist you are.

(ETA: The spell-checker kept suggesting "distressing" for "mistressing", so I stabbed it a little.)

*sigh*

I'd say that that kind of thing was very 90s, and below us, except it sometimes isn't.

Myself, I think we should all just interrelate as humans. 

I mean hu-persons.

Or, um, hu-per-offspring.

(And yes, before the pedants descend, i KNOW that the "man" in "human" has nothing to do with the Anglo-Saxon word "man". So shut up.)

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Please cut it out, and get back to the DEADLY SERIOUS business at hand; namely, reinforcing my unquestioned assumptions about how text works in SL

Thank you.

It should be tots obvs, but those of us who claim to have a similar RL and SL voice, prolly have a different RP voice!

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Similarly, I suppose, my own writing has been informed/deformed by academese.

I think I mentioned that I once wrote a chapter for an engineering textbook. The editor initially rejected my submission, stating he didn't think it appropriate to laugh while reading it. A short phone conversation convinced him I was incapable of writing any other way. The chapter was eventually accepted with minimal editing. I taught two semesters of evening division undergrad tech, and had similar tension with the administration. As I said, there is a limited range to my "voice".

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Typing is a really important part of the equation; I hadn't thought of that! I'm a pretty quick typist (except when I let my nails grow long, like now), so maybe that makes me sound more voluble?

Yep. I am a lightning fast typist and use that to ratchet up the mischief energy in-world. It's a challenge to insert purposeful misinterpretations fast enough to derail. I don't want to shut out slower typists, so there's often an internal struggle.

I do the same thing in RL. You do not want to pause mid-sentence to find the right word, because I'm itching to insert the wrong one. I've wondered if all the "ums" and "ahs" people say are like concert programs put on empty seats to keep me from sitting on the chair their idea will occupy any minute now.

Voluble is the right word. It gives some wiggle room for this being a good thing.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It should be tots obvs, but those of us who claim to have a similar RL and SL voice, prolly have a different RP voice!

For example: I don’t *rumblepurr* in RL. I would if I could. I do as my Neko Lion under normal circumstances and also RP; but do it a lot sexier in RP voice.

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yep. I am a lightning fast typist and use that to ratchet up the mischief energy in-world. It's a challenge to insert purposeful misinterpretations fast enough to derail. I don't want to shut out slower typists, so there's often an internal struggle.

^^This!!! But it irritates me when para RP people take a long time to post. Are they reallllly typing all that, or searching, copy/pasting?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.