Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I understand that politics is an extremely sensitive topic for most people on both the web and in real life. I am wondering if it is ok to talk about politics in Second Life?

If not, what are the consequences that will happen to your Second Life account? Will you get banned or something? I've witnessed that the banning happens often in virtual worlds and websites for children and teens, but I am curious if that same rule applies to here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure there are groups for that.
Other than that... keep it to your close friends/releatives in RL.

Don't do it on the forums or inworld with people you don't know or meet randomly.
You won't get banned instantly for your politic preferences, but as soon it offends people you get closer to a danger zone for a derailed relationship/friendships or worse.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you would get banned if the discussion is civil.  Not for me though.  There's enough politics in RL going on and SL is an escape to have fun.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

I'm pretty sure there are groups for that.
Other than that... keep it to your close friends/releatives in RL.

Don't do it on the forums or inworld with people you don't know or meet randomly.
You won't get banned instantly for your politic preferences, but as soon it offends people you get closer to a danger zone for a derailed relationship/friendships or worse.

 

Ok, what if it's a paragraph about how the government is manipulated by someone else or ways to improve education or healthcare? Are those acceptable topics to talk about?

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I don't think you would get banned if the discussion is civil.  Not for me though.  There's enough politics in RL going on and SL is an escape to have fun.

Ok, I will make sure that the discussions are appropriate if that's ok with people on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ok, I will make sure that the discussions are appropriate if that's ok with people on here.

As Ethan said, there are probably inworld groups better suited for it than the forums.  I'd advise you read the forum guidelines and then see what happens when a thread goes off topic, people start arguing rather than debating and the thread gets locked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

As Ethan said, there are probably inworld groups better suited for it than the forums.  I'd advise you read the forum guidelines and then see what happens when a thread goes off topic, people start arguing rather than debating and the thread gets locked

Where can I find the forum guidelines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ok, what if it's a paragraph about how the government is manipulated by someone else or ways to improve education or healthcare? Are those acceptable topics to talk about?

Ok, I will make sure that the discussions are appropriate if that's ok with people on here.

general advice .. does the subject belong in SL. .. to what you say in that first line, i'd say no.

If you want to get serious discussions about it, join a RL party or group. It doesn't belong here or inworld, we'r people from around the world, we dont know in's and out's about local developments in politics,.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

general advice .. does the subject belong in SL. .. to what you say in that first line, i'd say no.

If you want to get serious discussions about it, join a RL party or group. It doesn't belong here or inworld, we'r people from around the world, we dont know in's and out's about local developments in politics,.

Ok, sorry about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing personal, Napoleon, it is just what our experience with political debates in here showed us... they really usually go wrong in every possible way.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that the subject of politics in and of itself is not banned specifically either from the forums or in the world. However, it is a highly emotionally loaded subject for many people. The inevitable arguing, name-calling, and general bullying and abuse that almost any political conversation devolves into would violate the terms of service and or Community guidelines. You probably wouldn't get banned for talking about politics, but you or others might get banned if and when the conversation became too heated. It's probably best to keep those conversations out of Second Life. I definitely wouldn't recommend having them on the forums or in an unrelated or general chat group in world. If you really really must, find a politically dedicated group in world and discuss there. But be prepared for the consequences.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

I understand that politics is an extremely sensitive topic for most people on both the web and in real life. I am wondering if it is ok to talk about politics in Second Life?

If not, what are the consequences that will happen to your Second Life account? Will you get banned or something? I've witnessed that the banning happens often in virtual worlds and websites for children and teens, but I am curious if that same rule applies to here.

You're not going to get banned from Second Life purely for talking about politics in Second Life. That doesn't mean that there won't be consequences; it doesn't have to be "against the rules" for it to be a bad thing.

Players don't need a reason to mute someone, group admins don't need a reason to remove someone, and sim owners don't need a reason to ban someone. They can do all that simply because they don't like the symbols on your name, and silencing "annoying politics guy" will be a no-brainer for many. Derailing threads here will lead to them being locked, repeat offenders may get warning points, which could escalate into a ban for the truly oblivious.

Politics is an incredibly polarising topic that a great deal of people feel passionate about. That conflicting passion leads to arguments and hostility; something that the silent majority have no interest in at all. So keep it out of all unrelated groups, keep it out of local chat, and keep it out of IMs unless you know that your conversation partner is interested in that type of discussion.

If you don't trust your own ability to read social cues, avoid talking about politics. Better safe than sorry.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Politics often devolves into a nasty argument.

Nasty arguments on the forums can see you with warning points, or bans.

A forum ban is also an in world ban.

Best not to push politics (or religion).

Two subjects that are - honestly - also best avoided in real life.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the basic rule of this forum is that topics have some relationship to SL. RL politics and religion are present inworld, so if you do raise either as a topic then let it be in relation to something in SL

example. I have just finished building a chapel on my home region.  Is catholic-inspired. It has been created to provide a balance to what Christians would call the darkness - or might be better known in SL as a form of hedonism. We are big into hedonism on my home sim :)  So the chapel is a quiet place for reflection

i have always loved the painting "Penitent Magdalene" by Paolo Veronese c1586.  Not to be confused with the painting by Carravagio which is sometimes called by the same name and alternatively as "Repentant Magdalene"

so i was chatting with the region owner where I live about art and design and stuff like you do. We ended up talking about classic art and the painting came up. He went wooo! when he saw it. Heart love!

so i said I make a chapel and we stick it in. And he went ok. And so I did. He ended up get right into it, and not even a religious person. Sourced some other religious works and pieces and put them in as well

is quite nice to sit in a pew in the chapel and contemplate that balance in our lives is not such a bad thing. Too much of one or the other doesn't always work out well for us sometimes

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ellestones said:

example. I have just finished building a chapel on my home region.  Is catholic-inspired. It has been created to provide a balance to what Christians would call the darkness - or might be better known in SL as a form of hedonism. We are big into hedonism on my home sim :) So the chapel is a quiet place for reflection

Years ago, I bought both a “normal” church, and a “satanic” version from an awesome creator. The “satanic” version has wonderful goth elements. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Love Zhaoying

there are some fabulous creatives in SL for sure.  I remember a gothic inspired build. Merriman as I remember. Gargoyles and other creatures. Probably most memorable for the sign that said "Do Not Sit Here" on the lap of this pretty cool large stone creature. Wonder why that is I thought. So click and welll !! maybe best after all if I never sat :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Always?

a real ban yes, but first you get a few suspensions that only involve the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Politics sneaks into the Forums in interesting ways; people’s many and varied opinions on all manner of things related to Second Life are  advised by their “politics” (liberal,  conservative, etc.).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

I understand that politics is an extremely sensitive topic for most people on both the web and in real life. I am wondering if it is ok to talk about politics in Second Life?

If not, what are the consequences that will happen to your Second Life account? Will you get banned or something? I've witnessed that the banning happens often in virtual worlds and websites for children and teens, but I am curious if that same rule applies to here.

Its acceptable in the forums as long as you are a leftie.  According to the forum regulars AND the mods, if you aren't a leftie, you are a troll.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

I understand that politics is an extremely sensitive topic for most people on both the web and in real life. I am wondering if it is ok to talk about politics in Second Life?

Just remember that most people in SL are from a different country than you.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×