Wanted: Viewer Developers

JasonClandestino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

WTF.  Just stop it.

This actually is MY Topic. It's not a topic about Firestorm bugs, not at all.

Do you spammers understand that?!

See, now people of interest have to read through my reaction & how I coped with the comments of "other viewer developers". That's really not fair, & it's how scared Firestorm Developers are of people like me, & that's upsetting. Part of the reason that I wanted to work with the FS 4.7.7 Code Source really is because I like Firestorm & I liked that particular edition of the viewer, because it was practically totally stable.

I'm not a malicious guy, not at all, & this incident really is upsetting. I expected a bit more professionalism of members of this community, actually.

Edited by JasonClandestino
  • Haha 1

@JasonClandestino

given what your stated goals are then suggest that your project forks the LL viewer itself. The LL viewer code base will provide the shortest path to successful completion for your dev team

when you have modularised the core components then can build a plugin module on top of the core. Using plugin modules to enable all the various different UI functionality for each of the specific user groups - builders - roleplayers - merchants - club entertainers - rental agents - gamers - vehicle enthusiasts - estate barons - etc   

10 minutes ago, ellestones said:

pretty much everyone who has a opensim grid at some point thinks about making their own viewer. I think Jason (like lots of others) has reached this moment

See, & I really am tired of babysitting this topic.

:/

Hypothetical: I suggest, "I want to implement a few features for compatibility with Sansar & High Fidelity as well." & somebody retorts, "You want compatibility between SL & Sansar?!", I'd want to block that person from further comment in this topic.

If you missed the topic title, it's "Wanted: Viewer Developers". Most all the people that replied in this topic are Firestorm Developers, so they're not really replying with any sort of respect, not at all. As well, I'm looking for "Viewer Developers", so that implies people that are Creative, Innovative, & Intelligent, & can surmise things as simple as something like, "You remember the IRC Plugin years ago? Maybe just simple chat." & I don't need to explain something simple & redundant, not actually. I really would block those people, just to keep the point simple.

2 minutes ago, ellestones said:

attract volunteers

Volunteers? Errrm so no perks or incentives? No bonuses? Just a grouchy project lead?  pffft

23 minutes ago, JasonClandestino said:

This actually is MY Topic.

It may have started that way, but that's precisely when you also lost control. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JasonClandestino said:

I'm looking for "Viewer Developers", so that implies people that are Creative, Innovative, & Intelligent, & can surmise things as simple as something like, "You remember the IRC Plugin years ago? Maybe just simple chat." & I don't need to explain something simple & redundant, not actually.

yes you do need to explain to your dev team everything in simple redundant terms. Or your devs are not going to know exactly what you want. When not then they will code up what they want, which may not be what you want them do

this is the nature of team projects

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ellestones said:

@JasonClandestino

given what your stated goals are then suggest that your project forks the LL viewer itself

Actually, I think that the "Correct" approach would be to compare Firestorm 4.7.7 & the LL code, & then parse the features out of the LL Code & the Firestorm 4.7.7 code, which would be like to "Spoon" the code, because "Yeah, that's where it started."

Chris Cornell said, "Thank You For LettinmebeMiceElfAgain". That guy was a programming guru & prophetic genius!!

Edited by JasonClandestino
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, JasonClandestino said:

Actually, I think that the "Correct" approach would be to compare Firestorm 4.7.7 & the LL code, & then parse the features out of the LL Code & the Firestorm 4.7.7 code, which would be like to "Spoon" the code, because "Yeah, that's where it started."

Since the viewer is a prime example of adhering to the SOLID design principles, the proposed approach should be fairly easy to be performed. Good luck and please keep us up to date with your progress!

Edited by Ansariel Hiller

3 minutes ago, JasonClandestino said:

the "Correct" approach

the correct approach is the path that leads to successful completion of the project mission statement in the shortest amount of time

the original mission statement was to modularise the core code base and then build indivdualised UI experiences on top of this.  It now seems to have shifted to parsing desired user -experience features as you would prefer them

as others have pointed out, to remain on the original mission then your team will find that after a code exploratory effort they have to build a whole new code base from the ground up. Very little LL (and other TPVs) untouched code will make it into your viewer  

1 minute ago, ellestones said:

there is that as well. If the project can provide RL funding for the team members then there be a queue of applicants lined up with CVs in hand

:)

Of course! Just hope there's enough money to pay the developer for the years of work this actually would be.

3 minutes ago, Ansariel Hiller said:

Of course! Just hope there's enough money to pay the developer for the years of work this actually would be.

yes true. In the meantime the developers just keep coming to work, getting regular pay cheques hopefully, and believing in the mission. When the pay cheque money runs out then oh! well another good idea that never completed. And wheres the next job queue

:D

I'm not sure what he wants. A customizable user interface, I think, so you could make the viewer look like a specific game. That's an interesting idea.

You could try doing that with HUDs.  You can do a lot with game-specific HUDs. Drivers of SL has some good ones. Try prototyping it that way and see how far you can get. Get some user experience with your proposed  user interface.

On a more serious note, I'm a viewer dev of almost 10 years. My current rate is $500/hour, but if you ideas are impractical or infeasible, you'll still have to pay. My resume includes the reasons why some of your ideas would be implicitly against current TPV polices rather than just implied, being the official source for how non-web profiles work, [redacted due to NDA], and more.

9 hours ago, JasonClandestino said:

Furthermore, within the future, if I start a topic within the secondlife community forums, I want the right to block a person or number of people that want to reply, concisely.

xD keep up that mindset and you will get your viewer blocked faster than you can imagine (if you ever find enough folks to help you make it running - that is)

Please do not demand rights from the Lindens, you are in no position to do so...

you started a thread - people are discussing - as long as they stay on topic there is absolutely nothing you can do about not liking their answers (try your own private forums instead if you cannot deal with this - you will need them anyways for viewer development)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.