Wanted: Viewer Developers

JasonClandestino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was reading the thread from the bottom up and Callum’s comment was first logical one I found. As a developer myself, it’s interesting to try and analyze posts that are by others who either “may be” or “fancy themselves to be” developers. Comments by other true developers are usually spot on, even if snarky. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JasonClandestino said:

I'll politely ask those couple of people not to comment in my topic further, not at all.

If you someday want to make a post that you can “control” completely, here’s an idea. Write in the post for those interested to contact you inworld. Report your own post and request it to be locked. Then, no one can reply on your post.

Jason, aside from all the snarking and condesention, here are my comments:

1) In the history of SL, nobody has really put a want ad out for developers and been successful, especially not when they are looking for free work. Viewer teams grow out of mutual respect and admiration for other developers and the idea that collaboration will make things easier for themselves. For example, I forked three viewers on my own and made various contributions directly to Second Life before ever collaborating on a viewer with a team. Obviously, for a viewer to have any sort of direction, someone needs to lead the project, but in most cases, this is a peer developer, not a leader or manager, someone who is also contributing code on their own. Even Jessica Lyon has made code commits in Phoenix and Firestorm despite having skills on par with Niel. ;) (Hi Niel!)

My advice here, dive in. If you want a modular viewer, get your hands dirty. If your design is feasible, others will reach out on their own. No volunteer pleas necessary.

2) While Firestorm is by far the most popular viewer and fulfills the needs of a wide audience, it makes a crappy base to develop your own viewer from. Because of the massive amount of changes and features added, interesting modification comment style, and compounded by the lack of unit/integration testing, you've already dug yourself into a hole. Firestorm is able to mitigate this with long soak-before-release testing, experienced QA volunteers, and a large organized pool of testers. You don't have that, nobody besides Firestorm does and they never will. Firestorm's OpenSim support is also suffering from bit rot.

3) As far as modularity is concerned, the viewer is not at all designed for that, so you're in for a lot of rewriting. It would be just as well to start from scratch and use the viewer as a guideline (note the LGPL still applies when using code as a reference). You also aren't the first person who has ever tried this, in fact, there was already a modular viewer called Luna, but it was abandoned over a decade ago because the usefulness of modularity wasn't worth the burden of maintenance.

4) UUIDs are not checksums.

Edited by Cinder Roxley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.