What Keeps You Coming Back To SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was surprised to learn that these days, the common method is to “wear the box”. How gauche!

I love the wear the box method,  no need to be someplace you can rez,  So I can  put that new dress on right in the store without having to go home first.

As for what keeps me coming back, it is a creative outlet as well as a break from the stress and the mundane of everyday RL

• Like 2

I am always coming back to see what new innovations have transpired in men's fashion and technology. For example,  I recently came across a rigged mesh beard that now fits snuggly to the catwa mesh head , doesn't look painted on and is something male avatar have been waiting for, for ages. Then I have the hand full of friends that I try to touch base with. The occasional revisit of scripting experiments. Over all the customization to the experience is still the best hands down. I can still do and create things in SL that bring an overall smile or laugh.

Having tried Sansar (which I wasn't too impressed with so far). After 14-15 years in SL things here are much more straight forward than another platform which spingboards off of ideas from other platforms and ideas I generally held no interest in.

I recently started getting back inworld pretty regularly after being almost entirely absent for about five years. I kept in touch with some friends via one method or another, and I kept in touch with SL mostly via forums. But I just couldn't seem to take the time to get inworld.

It took a spell in the hospital to bring me back. Not that a near-death experience gave me a Second Life vision or anything; I wasn't in serious condition (except maybe for a couple of days there right at the start). I just spent a lot of time thinking and SL was in those thoughts, probably because I wanted to get in touch with someone there to let people know I hadn't disappeared (I had neither phone nor laptop for several weeks). In any case, all that thinking brought me to the conclusion that I needed to get back to being an inworld person.

Now that I have been back for a bit I think I can identify the real draw for me. It's the people. I've had a lot of fun redoing my house and stuff, and attempting to recreate myself in a mesh body (WIP), but I have the most fun just talking to people. I could communicate when I wasn't inworld, but it was always some kind of message exchange. It wasn't conversation. It wasn't spontaneous. Communicating inworld has the same intensity as talking face to face in RL (for me, at least).

Plus you get conversations you can't get in RL. The other day I decided to take my ancient, way pre-mesh Lotus 7 for a spin since I live alongside a Linden road. I managed to get past the first sim crossing, and then looked up to see a gigantic 4WD pickup truck coming straight at me. It swerved, and I swerved, and we both lightly crashed into stuff on our respective sides of the road, and finally we stopped, just short of a head-on collision. I backed up to give her (I could see now that a female was driving the gigantitruck) more room to get by, she gingerly drove past me, and we both roared off in opposite directions trying not to hit anything else. In RL I'd have been all ticked off; blaming her although we were both at fault, and mumbling. But in SL I could talk, since I'd grabbed her profile back at the Incident. Once I got to an intersection I stopped and IM'd her: "It's a good thing we are both SUCH good drivers!", and pretty soon she came back with a LOL, saying, "I know, I know! I just try to keep this thing pointed straight!". We talked a bit and then went our separate ways, smiling.

Can't do that in RL.

• Like 8

My SL sister brings me back each time, she recently started playing again and asked me to come back and so I did, I have 3 stores on 3 different accounts (all 3+yrs old) and my partner has 2 stores on his alt accounts, all the lindens from sales goes into my bank alt so after a couple months of not playing I have some fun money that I use to update my character. 

Once I do jump back on though I realise how much I missed playing and 'hoeing' it up, but if my SLister isn't online it's usually not as fun, all my other siblings are high profile creators so they're always busy with events so I usually end up exploring or hoeing ?‍♂️

When outside it's gray and it's raining, I have my blue skies here in Second Life. And kilometers and kilometers to sail, hanging out with someone aboard or among other boats, even planes and more. I can also visualize myself on a little beach and just relax. I found out that SL has positive effects in many different ways for different people. Wandering and exploring, I still meet new people from all over the world. Not everyone is nice and friendly in SL, of course (someone instead is a good soul deep down, we are all humans with our issues, and I still wish them well) and there are less people around, compared to several years ago, however I still meet interesting, nice and friendly new people, and there is always something fun, creative to share with friends, beautiful moments and experiences, places to visit. Even if SL is old and ridden by bugs, and I look at other virtual worlds with interests, I still come back here, for a flight, a long boat trip among an huge and feature rich landscape, the freedom, the variety, and especially the nice and positive people I know.

• Like 1

For me, while I do have a history of playing dress up and loving shopping, the real thing that keeps me logging in is the people I've met, mostly from the forums or connected to someone from the forums. ?  To me, games aren't fun if you don't have anyone to share it with. 

• Like 1

The love, nothing else but love for this whole idea. I am creative person, since I remember I was always making something and trying stuff. Often, if you want to do something in RL, it takes a bit (a lot) of planning and effort, money and time just to prepare everything. In SL, you just need to login and click few times. In my little world of fantasy, that's pure magic. 

When visiting other people's sims I see it as walking through their mind and it has some weird but really good effect on me. I love it. I don't have much time for SL and right now I am on my third try this year to play more regular and at least login every few days. 

I love it because it is full of weird people, or loners, creative ones, explorers, people who are here to learn and people who came to teach, to make money and to spend it. 

Also, here I could try some things that I wouldn't dare to try in RL. You have no idea how hard it is to start a business in my country and if you are like me, someone who just wanted to try it for a few months and see how it feels, SL is the place to do it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

i go away, come back, go away, come back, go away, come back.  When I do come back the is usually something I have read or heard about, so come for a look. After looking then I end up doing what I always end up doing. Making stuff inworld with prims. Is pretty relaxing for me to do this

• Like 1

Honestly the main reason is this rent box and it's need to be fed L$ every week even when i had a time where my RL health problems were really bad i'd make the effort to log in once a week and keep it topped up
SLLlog_001.png.ee5ebca5e66a682d6bd68ca312856328.png

Having a place to hang out and be private is great but i couldn't spend all my time pottering around at home i soon get bored, when i'm not shopping, exploring, trying to decide what to wear or grabbing a pic i gather L$ to feed the rent box and my shopping habit i know it's easier to just buy the L$ and i have done when needed but i like doing it as it keeps me logging in

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 5:17 AM, Cristiano Midnight said:

There was a huge outpouring of grief over the loss of Siggy on SLU,. People donated to the GoFundMe to help Neph and attended the inworld memorial service for him, myself included.  The thread about his death was in the SLU Community forum, which is not visible unless you are signed in. There is also a  thread on the new site as well memorializing people we've lost, including Siggy.

I'm glad to hear that on the private SLU Community Forum there was an outpouring of grief and a GoFundMe. For those who didn't join SLU or worse, who have been banned like me for protesting the bad behavior of griefers, this isn't visible. But it's still odd that there were no comments on the general, open forums, of the type that have been made on similar occasions in the past. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva

6 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'm glad to hear that on the private SLU Community Forum there was an outpouring of grief and a GoFundMe. For those who didn't join SLU or worse, who have been banned like me for protesting the bad behavior of griefers, this isn't visible. But it's still odd that there were no comments on the general, open forums, of the type that have been made on similar occasions in the past. 

Why is it odd?  Humans being what they are, and particularly under stress, it's likely people who wanted to post something about it just logged in and saw a relevant topic to join.  Who in that situation would be thinking of starting another topic about it?

• Like 4

On 10/8/2018 at 7:31 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

Why is it odd?  Humans being what they are, and particularly under stress, it's likely people who wanted to post something about it just logged in and saw a relevant topic to join.  Who in that situation would be thinking of starting another topic about it?

Because they did in the past about other people. Just look at the forums.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.