What Keeps You Coming Back To SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What keeps you actively involved in Second Life? I was involved with SL for a very long time (starting in 2003), but in the past few years my interest in it has waned completely. I still have land and sign in periodically, but I tend to just look around a bit and sign back out and not come back for months. Obviously 15 years is a long time to stay interested in anything, but I keep looking for ways to reconnect to SL.What keeps you in SL?

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I actually have this posted as a pick on my main. 

Few online experiences keep me logging in day after day, but SL does! Why?

I can be me, truly me, without the constraints of RL. I can create anything I can imagine. I can make friends all over the world, go dancing, and listen to amazing musicians all while sitting in my office chair. I can chat with like minded people about the best places to shop and explore. And probably the best part of all, I get to help people. SL can be frustrating for those just learning the ropes. I really enjoy helping them love SL as much as I do.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 14

I think mesh has become the main reason why I still visit SL. The mesh body parts and clothing market has matured to a point where it's fun to go shopping again. I also like seeing how mesh is used throughout SL in buildings, furniture and objects. SL is changing and offering new things. 

• Like 4

Roleplay keeps me interested, and occasional pod rides.  I've had quite enough of dancing, of cliques, and false friends (hooray for the faithful few!).  I don't do much with my home except make it presentable for the benefit of people living in the same region.  Visiting old haunts is depressing when most of them have gone or are covered in ugliness.  Oh dear, I do sound miserable, sorry!

• Like 1

It’s changed over the years.

I started 10 years ago, while I was in college. So I basically had a lot of time on my hands. It was a good time waster.

Then I graduated and was underemployed, so I still had a lot of time on my hands. A little less, but I started learning about creating. Started a little business, sold my appliers and started learning about mesh.

Then I got a little better employed and had less time for SL. Stopped creating and gave up the store.

Now, I have a pretty decent job and pop on SL a couple times a week to hang out, maybe take a few pictures, maybe mess around with some mesh, but mostly it’s to shop.

That’s pretty much it.

• Like 3

My time in SL has been complicated by also having run SLUniverse.com for 15 years). As my interest in SL decreased, I was still connected to it by the site. As you can imagine, running a community about SL has not been without it's drama and challenges. Having my closest SL friend pass away also made returning to SL more and more difficult, as has the loss of several other people over the years.

When I do go back into SL, I do have fun - there are just so many other distractions that it doesn't seem to hold my interest anymore. I'd like it to, and I try to reconnect, but so far, I've not had much luck. Granted, the past few times I've been in SL have been for memorial services, so that doesn't help either.

• Sad 7

Just now, Garnet Psaltery said:

But since you're a Newbie (so far in here) you can be really excited about everything :D

Or demand to know why everyone is scamming and stalking you, and banning you for no reason whatsoever. And why everyone in the forum is so mean. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

As the posts so far suggest, we each have our own reasons for staying with SL, and they are wildly different.  Some of us are creators, others are performers; some enjoy shopping, others love to dance and socialize; some are energized by role play and games, others enjoy quiet conversations with a friend or two.  We are all over the map with our RL ages, and we come from a wide range of cultural settings and nationalities.  I find all of this diversity fascinating.  It's what keeps me coming back, logging in daily -- sometimes for hours at a time.  SL is not a one-size-fits-all world. It gives me a chance to pursue activities that are my primary interest, but also lets me to explore very different ways of looking at the world -- all without the risks and expense that would discourage me in RL. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As the posts so far suggest, we each have our own reasons for staying with SL, and they are wildly different.  Some of us are creators, others are performers; some enjoy shopping, others love to dance and socialize; some are energized by role play and games, others enjoy quiet conversations with a friend or two.  We are all over the map with our RL ages, and we come from a wide range of cultural settings and nationalities.  I find all of this diversity fascinating.  It's what keeps me coming back, logging in daily -- sometimes for hours at a time.  SL is not a one-size-fits-all world. It gives me a chance to pursue activities that are my primary interest, but also lets me to explore very different ways of looking at the world -- all without the risks and expense that would discourage me in RL. 

That was always the draw for me as well with Second Life. I have met so many people who were able to experience a life without the limitations they have in the real world, and that is inspiring. It's a powerful thing.

• Like 5

well I came back after about 4 years cos I needed pics for my Chat RP Chars as well as PNP RP Chars.... then I noticed how much I missed taking pics and creating a nice scenery and just enjoy sitting in it (helps me with my depression if I can´t go out and enjoy RL nature...or if the weather is sh....)

Plus SL is basically my main outlet for creativity with styling outfits and my parcel, taking pics and sometimes blogging

Of course the international (and national) contacts add to that

• Like 5

What's relevant here is why a person whose "interest has waned completely" still runs a primarily SL-related forums and why Linden Lab's CEO and other Lindens continue to think that this forum is some kind of "litmus test of opinion" that they "must" heed. It's not. One of its chief features is that the members no longer log into SL. And their "game" is in fact about being obsessed with criticism and nostalgia about SL rather than engaging in it currently.

Speaking of RL deaths, it was a total mystery to me why no one on SLuniverse marked the death of Siggi Romulus, who was a very important figure and merchant in SL's early days and used to be a participant of SLuniverse.

What's important to me is not "why" I log on every day mainly to serve my customers but THAT I log on -- for many reasons of creativity and the ability to control and design your environment, interact with many kinds of people and so on. The reasons change, and persist despite bad patches such as the current grey squares.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

28 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Speaking of RL deaths, it was a total mystery to me why no one on SLuniverse marked the death of Siggi Romulus, who was a very important figure and merchant in SL's early daysand used to be a participant of SLuniverse.

There was a huge outpouring of grief over the loss of Siggy on SLU,. People donated to the GoFundMe to help Neph and attended the inworld memorial service for him, myself included.  The thread about his death was in the SLU Community forum, which is not visible unless you are signed in. There is also a  thread on the new site as well memorializing people we've lost, including Siggy.

• Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.