Dark Theme for forums please. :)

Macrocosm Draegonne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 11:44 AM, Tommy Linden said:

Hey All!

We appreciate the feedback, but at this time we will not be adding a dark forum theme. However as I think someone else suggested in the thread, you can use your browser settings to make that change for you!

https://mybrowseraddon.com/dark-mode.html?v=0.2.8&type=install

Easiest way I could find without having to play hacky hack

• Like 1

It might not be as simple as Linden Lab 'Won't' do it as it may be a case that they 'Can't' do it for reasons that haven't come to light yet. Yes this is the 'Second Life forums' hosted by Linden Lab, but is it their software? Were there engineering restrictions if the source code for this forum is third party?

Back in SL Viewer (before SL 2.0) we used to have the debate of how to hide or lessen edit outlines when working in the viewer on an object. I went so far asto go in and see what elements I could change permanently along the way, like folder images, how those folders function, sorting, dates. In the end I was able to log into my own theme of viewer. Then came 2.0 and I am under the understanding that it was still outsourced for some of the detailed technical and UI side of things. I am sure there were restrictions in place when Linden Lab agreed to go with the newer iteration of the SL viewer. Now we have the full option to download the source code and even develop out own viewer if we have the mindset and time.

Third Party addons to the browser might be half a solution, but I see a concern that some take a cautious approach to such add-ons and downloads. LL is not liable for any third party or personal changes you make to your browser (especially if and since it doesn't effect other users), but this also removes any liability should your system becomes infected with something from a download.

I would urge people to collaborate withLinden Lab through various channels (you can always message a Linden and ask even if there is a more appropriate dept. to speak with if this is an area they do not work on specifically). The worse that can happen is they simply say it cannot be changed for whatever reason, or they could possibly get the ball rolling for a feature like this.

• Like 2

The bright white background surely is stressful for the eyes in dimly lit room.
The white shouldn't really be so white all. I wonder such background was selected.
Totally deep black background with white text isn't ideal either. In brightly lit room it's no good.

For me the best theme would be light gray theme with black text. Suitable for most lighting conditions.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2018 at 3:08 AM, chibiusa Ling said:

5cTyJ9X.jpg

Dark theme is one thing......but custom foamy theme is another..... lets get #CustomForumThemes trending

wooo! please to olde worlde MySpace me!! :)

but yes! another vote for a alternative page theme.  I don't mind the light theme myself but a dark option would be good as well for them who do get eyestrain from the too light

• Haha 1

If you look up the forum stuff for Invision Community I could have sworn I saw some things about multiple themes allowed, with user choice as to which to toggle on.  That said I certainly do not expect LL to do it if its not fitting right now, it wouldnt make sense to tweak them now for a lot of different reasons im sure.

I always use the app in the browser, but its situational, usually the dark theme is only needed at night for me, since I get plenty of sunlight in my office usually.  I do tend to prefer websites that use black/white sparingly, theres so much in between thats a lot more pleasing.

I use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/invert-colors/  But there are many others too, thanks everyone for sharing some others to check out! 

And thanks Lindens for considering the addition!  Maybe when the time is right some day it could be a thing. :)

The color has just changed. I'm seeing a very pale pink background around the boxes. E.g. each post is in its own box and has a white background, but the space around those boxes have a very pale pink background. Is SuperTom playing with the gears and levers? It's a nice effect, btw.

ETA: Oh wait! I'm seeing exactly the same in my email client. Drat! I wonder why.

Edited by Phil Deakins

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

The color has just changed. I'm seeing a very pale pink background around the boxes. E.g. each post is in its own box and has a white background, but the space around those boxes have a very pale pink background. Is SuperTom playing with the gears and levers? It's a nice effect, btw.

ETA: Oh wait! I'm seeing exactly the same in my email client. Drat! I wonder why.

I dont see it, although it does seem a little less white all of the sudden or im just imagining it lol.

This is actually my favorite, it has all the bells and whistles for full system control, even based on time of day, performs great, and does a lot of things most of these apps do not.  Even a great Dark-Room all red option.

if im not heavy in graphics work I usually leave it running, otherwise I have to go browser level, and app level addons.

F.Lux  its the best of the best IMO. Free too!

https://justgetflux.com/

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

I dont see it, although it does seem a little less white all of the sudden or im just imagining it lol.

Yes, the surrounds are ever so slightly cream, but that was probably always true. Last night's pale pink effect must have been something to do with my monitor. It did look nice though.

1 hour ago, Chase01 said:

Looks s@xy in black! I love the dark theme. Is there an add-on for Firefox that anyone is aware of?

Dark Reader -- It can slow down some websites and sometimes render photos odd, but you can toggle it by website and it doesn't seem to cause any issues with the forums.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 6:57 PM, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Just a suggestion, not a demand, but it would be quite nice.

I use VIVALDI Browser (Google Chrome without the Google part, so privacy) It has a reader mode and you can select Light (white BG/Black text), Neutral (Light Gray BG/Drak gray text), and Dark (Black BG/ Almost White text) along with prefered fonts, size, colors, etc.

It's one solution. :)

OH, https://vivaldi.com

Aaannnddd if you're curious:

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 8:08 PM, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

This is actually my favorite, it has all the bells and whistles for full system (whole OS all of the screens) control, even based on time of day, performs great, and does a lot of things most of these apps do not.  Even a great Dark-Room all red option.

if im not heavy in graphics work I usually leave it running, otherwise I have to go browser level, and app level addons.

F.Lux  its the best of the best IMO. Free too!

https://justgetflux.com/

oops, I edited the other post and it made a double post somehow?  Anyway I just wanted to hightlight the fact that F.Lux is full system whole OS control, all the screens, its great unless you need to do graphics design or something along those lines.

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I just noticed this tonight:  

96b9ce476c8f15832a0f219466a70fbe.png

I would never had noticed without this post.  I pretty much never look at the bottom of the pages, unless I'm looking to pull up the TOS.  Even then, I would likely have never noticed this.

Thanks

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.