ChibiDragon007

Firestorm is one hell of a memory hog

yeah i have the same prob as well with firestorm, using memory,  mainly dulahan  host plugin seems to start up a lot of times in my processes in win 7, firesotorm uses 261,256 k of mem,

On 12/21/2018 at 1:09 PM, binder59 said:

yeah i have the same prob as well with firestorm, using memory,  mainly dulahan  host plugin seems to start up a lot of times in my processes in win 7, firesotorm uses 261,256 k of mem,

Yeah I've noticed that too, a lot of dullahan host plugins, etc. From what I've read the newest version of FS 6.0.1 is less of a stable version and more of a preview of things to come in later updates? I'm not entirely sure but good lord. I tried to work an event last night in SL and crashed multiple times because FS apparently can't handle a handful of people in a sim even at the lowest possible settings with everything turned down to lowest you can get.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also to update this thread, I'm still having issues with Second Life/Firestorm on my Mac. It still uses a crap-ton of memory and with Activity Monitor on I'm getting similar if not the same numbers my previous laptop got. Even if memory pressure and such is in the green, Second Life should NOT be pushing a computer this hard just to run regardless of what sims I"m on or otherwise.

I had every setting turned extremely low last night when working an event that had multiple people on the sim (over thirty at the highest before I left) and Second Life crashed on me at least three or more times, and locked up repeatedly due to extreme lag in the region. Now that may be just a Second Life issue and not necessarily a computer one, since SL is a decade old program. Or is it simply an issue with Firestorm? I don't think it's entirely a graphics card issue (though I'm starting to think that may actually be the problem, as Macbook Pros don't have dedicated graphics cards unless you get a 15 or 17 inch model) but I'm not sure.

Basically I've tried everything I know to reduce lag, to stop my fans sounding like a jet engine and I can't manage that. So my options are to quit Second Life until I get a new computer, or switch to the default LL viewer?

Anyone have suggestions on what I could do?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ChibiDragon007 said:

Basically I've tried everything I know to reduce lag, to stop my fans sounding like a jet engine and I can't manage that. So my options are to quit Second Life until I get a new computer, or switch to the default LL viewer?

Switch to the default LL viewer if it runs better!

Edited by Ansariel Hiller

7 hours ago, Ansariel Hiller said:

Switch to the default LL viewer if it runs better!

i think that’s going to have to be my option I think, as much as I loathe the UI of the default viewer...

UPDATE:

So I'm about 99% sure that it is SL causing most of the issues with my Macbook Pro. Both the default viewer and Firestorm cause massive heat generation and the fans sound like a jet engine, even when running for only a short amount of time regardless of what sims I'm on. I tested both empty and crowded sims and my settings are kept at the automatically detected medium.

So from my research on everything, I can safely conclude that Macbook Pro laptops are NOT suitable for using Second Life. I hope to switch to a PC in the near future. However, I did have great experiences with the iMac desktop computers when I used both the default LL viewer and Second Life. Those can run it very well.

• Sad 1

For what it's worth... Been browsing the forum as FS has crashed on me a lot recently. "Texture overload" seems to do it these days (was pretty stable before).

I have a decent CPU, enough-ish RAM and a fast Internet connection, the GPU is very much my bottleneck (need to update). But I'm on a Win 7 64 bit desktop PC, and I just did a test, visiting my regular places etc. According to Task Manager the LL viewer (latest version) takes up slightly more RAM on average than FS - second latest FS version (about 50 % vs 47 %). But the spikes in RAM usage are much more dramatic in FS. That's after a relatively recent clean FS install. Haven't tried the most recent FS release yet.

Those spikes in RAM usage *seem* (needs more testing) to be related to the crashes.

4 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

For what it's worth... Been browsing the forum as FS has crashed on me a lot recently. "Texture overload" seems to do it these days (was pretty stable before).

I have a decent CPU, enough-ish RAM and a fast Internet connection, the GPU is very much my bottleneck (need to update). But I'm on a Win 7 64 bit desktop PC, and I just did a test, visiting my regular places etc. According to Task Manager the LL viewer (latest version) takes up slightly more RAM on average than FS - second latest FS version (about 50 % vs 47 %). But the spikes in RAM usage are much more dramatic in FS. That's after a relatively recent clean FS install. Haven't tried the most recent FS release yet.

Those spikes in RAM usage *seem* (needs more testing) to be related to the crashes.

What happens when you crash?
Does the viewer just poof to desktop & do you get the crash reporter popping up?
Or does the viewer freeze & not recover?
Or is it a disconnect where you get a notification asking you if you want to view IM's or Quit?

Can you past all your system information from Help -> About Firestorm.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:03 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Do you have a crazy large inventory?
Each item in your inventory will eat up ~7kb memory.  That can mount up when the inventory is really large.

my calculator does not go that high (whimpers)

• Haha 2

I am using a PC so not the same as macbook but I was just wanting to compare because my inventory is a meaty beast.

first picture is at home private island nothing around the sim at all, 256 draw 

at home memory.png

second image is at an event, maxed avatars, 256 draw and my inventory is just under 400 K items, so my memory usage is close to the OPs I think but way different SL's 

at c88 memory.png

Edited by Sasy Scarborough