The borderline-OCD inventory sorting thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My clothing, shoes, hair, jewelry, and accessories are all pretty organized.  My poses are in folders by creator, but I need to change that to organize them by the type of pose -- laying, sitting, jumping, etc...  Most of my other folders are only broken down by large category, but could use some work.  My 'sort' folder contains way too, but there are sub-folders for the types of items, mostly matching my top & second level primary folders.  In naming folders, I use special characters to override typical alphabetic sort order or call attention to certain ones for quicker finding.

Top level folders:
image.png.9a07ce41be992cff80bdc4bd24c0d1f9.png      

Breakdown:
image.png.62be76dbfa6a2614f0f448b75dc11060.png    

image.thumb.png.71284d9ddf178d8320a5335f9ff13528.png       image.thumb.png.7c1f413ac46e548e926695e0aa9a6360.png

image.png.3a6b166c5fd4007bef08344217ab14fb.png   image.png.667b100525986252c3463e8c40efd3ae.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I make a sub main directory that puts everything into one folder off the main directory..Mainly so it doesn't get so cluttered up front..

Then have main Item categories.

!!!!MESH HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MESH BODIES!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JACKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!BOTTOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!LINGERIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ect.

Then brands in each one..

Some brands get their own main category..

I also have for when I go shopping,folders to keep new things in a place to sort as soon as I'm done..

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DEMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!NEW FROM MARKET PLACE!!!!

It works for me..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will put my voice in for CTS Wardrobe as well (I am the moderator for the group to be up front). It is a bit of work to get into it, but once you do being able to visualize and automatically dress anything in your inventory is fantastic. I included a link to mine for those that may not have seen what Wardrobe looks like.  Make the task of maintaining a structure on the inventory side less daunting since you have all the extra metadata around items that wardrobe provides, the plus pictures.

http://www.carlyletheassolutions.com/wardrobe/wardrobe.php?owner=3f54eb6b-d3c1-4634-9075-c0f1636205a0&ownername=seanabrady&t=cdcd59cd3a5558de7d2043f4df2f706de321b2ed

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, seanabrady said:

I will put my voice in for CTS Wardrobe as well (I am the moderator for the group to be up front). It is a bit of work to get into it, but once you do being able to visualize and automatically dress anything in your inventory is fantastic. I included a link to mine for those that may not have seen what Wardrobe looks like.  Make the task of maintaining a structure on the inventory side less daunting since you have all the extra metadata around items that wardrobe provides, the plus pictures.

http://www.carlyletheassolutions.com/wardrobe/wardrobe.php?owner=3f54eb6b-d3c1-4634-9075-c0f1636205a0&ownername=seanabrady&t=cdcd59cd3a5558de7d2043f4df2f706de321b2ed

hm ok so you´re a bit biased *chuckles* but damn... it does look good... it would take months to start now though I spose...

• Haha 2

I am completely addicted to 

16 minutes ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

hm ok so you´re a bit biased *chuckles* but damn... it does look good... it would take months to start now though I spose...

14 minutes ago, seanabrady said:

Maybe a tad bit more than a bit biased.. 

I am not biased in the same way, but I'll say this: I would not be able to dress myself without the wardrobe at this point. I have almost 120.000 items in my inventory, and it would be a nightmare to find anything, even if I used folders and subdirectories and what not (I do that too, but who remembers what everything looks like in a ton of folders unless you put each item on on a regular basis, if you do not have a visual aspect to it?) 

I STRONGLY recommend using CTS Wardrobe, or at least some kind of visual thing like it :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, qzxr said:

I am completely addicted to 

I am not biased in the same way, but I'll say this: I would not be able to dress myself without the wardrobe at this point. I have almost 120.000 items in my inventory, and it would be a nightmare to find anything, even if I used folders and subdirectories and what not (I do that too, but who remembers what everything looks like in a ton of folders unless you put each item on on a regular basis, if you do not have a visual aspect to it?) 

I STRONGLY recommend using CTS Wardrobe, or at least some kind of visual thing like it :)

I HAVE some virtual thing like it ^^(see further above)  - the wardrobe came up after I started my system... it still looks great^^

3 minutes ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

I HAVE some virtual thing like it ^^(see further above)  - the wardrobe came up after I started my system... it still looks great^^

Oh, I missed the part about you having added pics for everything to your system, too... excellent :) You know how much that'll work in your favor, if you decide to move over to wardrobe??!? It's a HUGE plus to have that done in advance! Saves loads of time... well, for me it would at least, but the thing with wardrobe is that everyone does it their own way, and no way is wrong. Whatever works for one person might be a nightmare to someone else, so it is easy to do it in a way YOU want. 

It's really epic that you have put so much effort into doing a personal thing like it... just shows you are about as OCD about your stuff as I am... lol ❤️

6 minutes ago, qzxr said:

Oh, I missed the part about you having added pics for everything to your system, too... excellent :) You know how much that'll work in your favor, if you decide to move over to wardrobe??!? It's a HUGE plus to have that done in advance! Saves loads of time... well, for me it would at least, but the thing with wardrobe is that everyone does it their own way, and no way is wrong. Whatever works for one person might be a nightmare to someone else, so it is easy to do it in a way YOU want. 

It's really epic that you have put so much effort into doing a personal thing like it... just shows you are about as OCD about your stuff as I am... lol ❤️

I even posted pics XD Yeah I am very much aware of how it would help that I took pics.... it took me several months to do so  XD  I read the description if the Wardrobe again and there´s really no use for me to switch now...for unorganized inventories (new users preferably XD it would take months to catalogize several thousands of items  - be aware of that people^^) it might be  a good system though^^

Edited by Akasha Sternberg

4 minutes ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

I even posted pics XD Yeah I am very much aware of how it would help that I took pics.... it took me several months to do so  XD  I read the description if the Wardrobe again and there´s really no use for me to switch now...for unorganized inventories (new users preferably XD it would take months to catalogize several thousands of items  - be aware of that people^^) it might be  a good system though^^

I know you posted pics... I saw it after i scrolled back... lol.. coffee had not yet been had, but i do have it now... lolol ;D

I do keep my inventory neatly sorted, mostly by the 'type' of thing it is.  I do use the CTS wardrobe only for Hair, shoes and jewelry so far...and just as a visual catalog.

Really though, tbh.... I rarely crack open that very neatly organized part of my inventory.  I pretty much wear w/e I have just recently bought.  I never end up having time to actually go back and wear all the other stuff I have.  And there is never a lack of new stuff and events to keep me occupied with shopping :P

50 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I do the same as most have posted. One problem is when you get a top and bottom in one outfit and then you have to split it into the tops folder and bottoms folder. I guess it encourages mixing and matching which is what I end up doing.

If it is stuff i do not want to split up, I put them in a separate one that I call "outfits" :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Morgana Hilra said:

Can someone suggest keywords for searching for things to delete?

unpack (get rid of unpacker scripts)
delete (anything actually named 'delete me')
posestand (obvious)
pose stand (obvious)
posing (obvious)
adjust (get rid of any pose stands named as 'adjustment stands')
anim on touch (check for other names of 'animate me while the thing unpacks' script names)
thank (get rid of 'thank you' notecards)
about (get rid of 'about my store - here are LMs' notecards)

Also, delete all LMs. Save any favourite ones in, well, your favourites or an LM HUD, but the better option is to simply go to the creator's profile and get the latest store LM from their picks. And use the Places > Teleport History option of your viewer thereafter.

Empty out your notecards folder. You probably don't need that notice of the amazing sale that XYZ store held over Christmas 2017 ;)

For clothing that fits multiple bodies, rez out a stack of archive boxes. Set the first one up to be click-to-open, shove a nice texture on it, and title it something like ARCHIVE: or UNWORN SIZES: then shift-drag a whole bunch of them to work with. Put all the unworn sizes of each outfit into their own folder (append the outfit name to the 'ARCHIVE' etc), then pull them back into that item's folder. You can do it per outfit, or per body type (in case you might want a load of stuff fitted for a specific body if you buy it in future).

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Morgana Hilra said:

Akasha, I love you!

I have been trying to think of more folder names because my inventory is out of control again.

I use to stay on it but, idk. I lost it over the years.

Can someone suggest keywords for searching for things to delete?

oh my *fans herself* thanks Morgana  - are you completely and utterly mad by any chance? *grins*  if not - consider it it helps with loving me^^...if you are....welcome to the fun house

oh and as usual - Skell is right^^ listen to him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

the better option is to simply go to the creator's profile and get the latest store LM from their picks.

I am totally surprised at how many creators do not have a current store location in their Picks.  It frustrates the hell out of me, especially when for some odd reason their store isn't popping to the top of the search findings.

• Like 3

Any method of storing information in a hierarchical form is highly personal and relies on how your own brain finds it easiest to locate information within it.

So how does a person know how to store information that best suits themselves?  Mostly by trial and error but using SL clothing as an example,  you could start by asking the question "when I want to wear something, what do I first look for?"  For some it might be vendor but others use clothing type or style.  The answer to this question gives you the top level of your folder structure.  Once you know the top level you can drill down and define what folders should be at each level for optimal access in the structure by asking yourself further questions, "What type of clothing? (e.g. dress), what length of dress? (e.g. mini), what style (e.g. glam)".

If, after defining your folder structure, you find it hard to locate things then you have learned that this is not how your brain works and will have to try changing the structure until it becomes easier.  It is a highly iterative process.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
changed outfits to clothing to distinguish from SL "Outfits"
  • Like 6

I keep top level folders to a minimum to reduce clutter and the need to scroll the inventory window.

One way to do this is to put your own folders inside one top level folder called something like ".My Stuff"
The full stop at the front of the name is one way of making the folder stay near the top of the folder list is the list is sorted alphabetically.

The quicker your eye can locate the starting point of your own folder structure, the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do a lot of the same that has already been said...But I do breakdown, my tops & dresses in folders marked long sleeve or short sleeve, as I like to dress per season.  (For those outfits that come together as a top & bottom?  I do still sort them respectively, but add in the item title, what piece it goes with, in parenthesis)  in case I decide to wear as an outfit, instead of separate.)   I only have folders for either boots or shoes, and not broken down any further, but when I do first put them in inventory, I do rename the item to include such things as "heels" "sandals" "over the thigh" and so forth.  Also, for some reason, I remember the hair by creator, not sure why that is, so my folders are labeled by the creators name of my faves, with a folder labeled 'misc" for places where I only buy one style here and there.  Once again though, I add the style (short, updo, etc) to the rename before sending to creators folder.  IDK, works for me :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Any method of storing information in a hierarchical form is highly personal and relies on how your own brain finds it easiest to locate information within it.

So how does a person know how to store information that best suits themselves?  Mostly by trial and error but using SL clothing as an example,  you could start by asking the question "when I want to wear something, what do I first look for?"  For some it might be vendor but others use clothing type or style.  The answer to this question gives you the top level of your folder structure.  Once you know the top level you can drill down and define what folders should be at each level for optimal access in the structure by asking yourself further questions, "What type of clothing? (e.g. dress), what length of dress? (e.g. mini), what style (e.g. glam)".

If, after defining your folder structure, you find it hard to locate things then you have learned that this is not how your brain works and will have to try changing the structure until it becomes easier.  It is a highly iterative process.

I made this thread not to find the "best" sorting system, but to see a whole range of examples so that I could cherry pick the parts that I think will work the best for me, precisely for this reason. So thanks again to everyone that has given me ideas!

I've hidden everything in my Clothing top-level folder, then into 15 categories from there, nothing ground breaking here. I've got room to split off some of those categories into more if they get too large. Where I think I differ from most is by having an "Unused" folder inside each category for items that I don't think should be deleted, but that I am unlikely to use on a regular basis (mostly gifts). I've also given the clothing item folders a consistent naming scheme, which makes it soooo much nicer to look at :P eg:

925dd06e82.png

I've not yet sorted out the folders of the 4 creators I shop the most at, nor have I touched my pile of random garbage, but I've gotten the smaller creators sorted into this new system and it is orders of magnitude easier for me to use. Plus I've also noticed already how lop-sided my wardrobe is, which is a nice added bonus!

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.