Jump to content

Environmental Enhancement Project (aka EEP!) Feedback Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning everyone!  I’d like to start our first thread for Environmental Enhancement Project aka EEP!  EEP is a major enhancement to the legacy Windlight environments in Second Life, introducing a

I said i wouldn't do this but i tried it again and when just logging in already noticed another issue. Your own windlight is not permanent, every time i login i'm forced to see the awful daycycle that

Ugh. I've had my first test run just now, a short one but i just couldn't care less anymore after seeing this cluster*****, all i wanted was get it over with as fast as possible and close down the Vie

Posted Images

Using Firestorm EEP Beta, I have imported one of my custom cloud texture files and a selection of Windlight files and they seem to be working a lot better than when I tried 5 weeks ago. I am now finding my imported windlights to look quite similar to how they appear back in standard Firestorm. There are still some issues, but I am less concerned than I was.  

I have noticed one very odd thing, as I pan left and right in mouse look the sea can suddenly change from quite dark to very light. This seems to be in relationship with the sun position and seems more obvious when the sun is close to the horizon. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

A few quick screen caps of my cloud tests:

Davros Sky Test 1.png

Davros Sky Test 2.png

Davros Sky Test 3.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Stevie Davros said:

I have noticed one very odd thing, as I pan left and right in mouse look the sea can suddenly change from quite dark to very light. This seems to be in relationship with the sun position and seems more obvious when the sun is close to the horizon. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Yep, this bug is already filed: BUG-228431 - [EEP] Water lighting is wrong at certain camera angles

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I really miss in the Firestorm EEP Viewer is the quick setting from Windlight era that let you scrub through the day cycle. I feel like some version of that really ought to be restored so that we can scrub through EEP day cycles fast for a picture or something

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

since evening hours on August 3rd, 2020 CET I noticed a glossy problem with the Firestorm EEP Version. Curious that I did not notice it before because I used the EEP version since the first day it came out.

I don't think it was there before, because I had a new head and I had set glossy there so that it fitted and suddenly - since the above date - it was suddenly much too much and all the lights seems too bright too on other surfaces. 

That's why I asked if there is any setting that can be used to reduce glossy again. I know how to turn it off completely, but it looks ugly without it. 

Or maybe it is a bug in EEP version?

1st attached screenshot: on Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205).
2nd attached screenshot: on Firestorm 6.4.5 (60799)_EEP Beta > too much glossy

Thank you

Ehawee

Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205)_2020-08-06 19-52-54.png

Firestorm 6.4.5 (60799)_EEP Beta > too much glossy_2020-08-06.png

Edited by Ehawee Ravenhurst
added a screenshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

One thing I really miss in the Firestorm EEP Viewer is the quick setting from Windlight era that let you scrub through the day cycle. I feel like some version of that really ought to be restored so that we can scrub through EEP day cycles fast for a picture or something

I agree. Perhaps this needs to be submitted as an enhancement request officially, if it has not already.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ehawee Ravenhurst said:

Hello,

since evening hours on August 3rd, 2020 CET I noticed a glossy problem with the Firestorm EEP Version. Curious that I did not notice it before because I used the EEP version since the first day it came out.

I don't think it was there before, because I had a new head and I had set glossy there so that it fitted and suddenly - since the above date - it was suddenly much too much and all the lights seems too bright too on other surfaces. 

That's why I asked if there is any setting that can be used to reduce glossy again. I know how to turn it off completely, but it looks ugly without it. 

Or maybe it is a bug in EEP version?

1st attached screenshot: on Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205).
2nd attached screenshot: on Firestorm 6.4.5 (60799)_EEP Beta > too much glossy

Thank you

Ehawee

Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205)_2020-08-06 19-52-54.png

Firestorm 6.4.5 (60799)_EEP Beta > too much glossy_2020-08-06.png

This is totally normal. Linden Labs is planning to undo the shininess changes. Infact they did already, Firestorm just hasn't merged these changes.

 

But something else.

Water reflections are still horribly broken. Rotating your camera (via flycam) rotates the reflection with your camera disconnecting it from the reflecting stuff. This is in addition to the still broken clipping and random reflection breakage at certain camera angles.

image.thumb.png.c3b6f32c4b3eabceb985d9f89b84ebb9.png

image.thumb.png.520690fde8afe6c8b9a10efa99330661.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

One thing I really miss in the Firestorm EEP Viewer is the quick setting from Windlight era that let you scrub through the day cycle. I feel like some version of that really ought to be restored so that we can scrub through EEP day cycles fast for a picture or something

Do you mean the ability to disable the transition time when you cycle through environments?
If so, Beq has been working on this & in the next FS-EEP update there will be a slider to set a custom transition time, including the ability to disable transitions.
 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Linden Labs is planning to undo the shininess changes. Infact they did already, Firestorm just hasn't merged these changes.

Hmm... in which version the shininess has been changed?

In the latest official Linden Lab viewer the shininess is still much stronger than in non-EEP viewers.
In EEP viewers the skins look like heavily oiled skins. 😲

2020-08-07_Windlight-vs-EEP_Shininess.thumb.jpg.dd611f4f98c26a2808f1a0bbb40caab8.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

One thing I really miss in the Firestorm EEP Viewer is the quick setting from Windlight era that let you scrub through the day cycle. I feel like some version of that really ought to be restored so that we can scrub through EEP day cycles fast for a picture or something

I have thought this through a bit more and looking at the Firestorm Beta (also the same in LL EEP Viewer), all you have to do is click Personal Lighting open, and drag the sun position ball around to put the sun and shadows anywhere you like, and change sky colours.  Once you are used to it, it takes a few seconds to achieve the same as the old slider.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.00.49 pm.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Hmm... in which version the shininess has been changed?

In the latest official Linden Lab viewer the shininess is still much stronger than in non-EEP viewers.
In EEP viewers the skins look like heavily oiled skins. 😲

I think it's supposed to be fixed in the LoveMeRender RC, but I don't see it listed under resolved issues.  Give it a try anyway.
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.4.5.544028.html

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I think it's supposed to be fixed in the LoveMeRender RC, but I don't see it listed under resolved issues.  Give it a try anyway.
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.4.5.544028.html

Ok, I checked. The shininess in that version looks quite similar as in non-EEP viewers.
But there are other annoyances. For examples the lighting around noon is rather harsh. Shadows are too dark. And the colours appear not to be the quite same shades as in Windlight.

Edited by Coby Foden
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Ok, I checked. The shininess in that version looks quite similar as in non-EEP viewers.
But there are other annoyances. For examples the lighting around noon is rather harsh. Shadows are too dark. And the colours appear not to be the quite same shades as in Windlight.

The colors will never be the same again, gamma has been changed and colors too, they should now be "correct" as opposed to Windlight's wrong gamma and color rendering. Colors should be bit deeper and less "greyish/faded"

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

But something else.

Water reflections are still horribly broken. Rotating your camera (via flycam) rotates the reflection with your camera disconnecting it from the reflecting stuff. This is in addition to the still broken clipping and random reflection breakage at certain camera angles.

Already JIRA'd  :P

BUG-229181 - [EEP] Reflections incorrectly rotate wrong way when avatar viewpoint tipped (e.g in Mouselook)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Do you mean the ability to disable the transition time when you cycle through environments?
If so, Beq has been working on this & in the next FS-EEP update there will be a slider to set a custom transition time, including the ability to disable transitions.
 

No this

image.png.b83e11566df3cd94da7eea1d096315e8.png

The little sun/moon graphic might not make sense anymore, but I don't see why when EEP is set to a day cycle, we couldn't have a bar like before.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The WL Sky dropdown doesn't let you go back to Shared Environment once you select something else. I'm able to return to my EEP Settings by pressing the X, albeit temporarily invoking Chernobyl

 

 

Edited by Extrude Ragu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just realized that on the second video I had more options in my menu than on the first. Maybe they didn't load because I'd just switched from the EEP viewer to release viewer to take that screenshot of the quick prefs and it borked something, I did restart my viewer before taking the 2nd video

Edited by Extrude Ragu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Will there ever be support for changing the stars in the sky like the we can the sun and the moon? I would love to have a more detailed starfield in the sky w/o having to use skyboxes!

This has probably already been answered, but I never use the forums and can't find the topic search. ^^;

Excited to see what folks do w/ EEP in the long run!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dragon Hijinks said:

Will there ever be support for changing the stars in the sky like the we can the sun and the moon? I would love to have a more detailed starfield in the sky w/o having to use skyboxes!

This has probably already been answered, but I never use the forums and can't find the topic search. ^^;

Excited to see what folks do w/ EEP in the long run!

Highly unlikely.  I have been making texture files for clouds for a while now for Firestorm with Windlight. When they were locally hosted graphics files, the size I was using was 4096x4096 pixels which provided good detail when stretched across the entire sky dome. Now with EEP the upload file size limit is 1024x1024 pixels. 1 megapixel when stretched across the entire sky is very low resolution. Clouds are acceptable looking at a pinch with the right settings, but stars would just look like fuzzy blobs if you tried to use a starscape image. The current new stars are quite nice IMO, but they are procedurally generated and not a graphic, which is why they are sharp little dots. 

I have been making some eclectic things to place in the sky with EEP, check out what I have been up to here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/204498  My latest is figuring a way to use the new variance setting to show a pseudo aurora in the night sky...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 5:29 AM, Coby Foden said:

In the latest official Linden Lab viewer the shininess is still much stronger than in non-EEP viewers.
In EEP viewers the skins look like heavily oiled skins.

Oh, that's an EEP bug. I've been seeing that "oiled skin" look and thought it was an avatar problem.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...