Environmental Enhancement Project (aka EEP!) Feedback Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The sky is completely ruined on Firestorm period. The clouds when i can get them to appear now move from the top of the sky to the bottom rather than east west left right it's completely unnatural. All of my windlights are ruined none work as intended. The sky looks as bad as Everquest did, in 1998, no wait that looked better. I realize that if i get on the EEP viewer it's better but no one wants to use a LL viewer. Why break the game for countless months by rolling out a beta? 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, dstauffsl2 said:

The sky is completely ruined on Firestorm period. The clouds when i can get them to appear now move from the top of the sky to the bottom rather than east west left right it's completely unnatural. All of my windlights are ruined none work as intended. The sky looks as bad as Everquest did, in 1998, no wait that looked better. I realize that if i get on the EEP viewer it's better but no one wants to use a LL viewer. Why break the game for countless months by rolling out a beta? 

No,  the sky is not "completely ruined" on Firestorm.

From the viewer menu, select:
World, Environment Editor, Sky Presets, Edit preset...

Then in the window which has opened you can change the direction and speed of the clouds with:
Cloud Scroll X and Cloud Scroll Y

The issue i've had with wl and Firestorm is.. holy crap, it's dark. Midday, when it's usually bright, is like twilight. (This is not every time I log in, but more than half)

Also had the super crappy looking sky.

And Windlights not working at all much of the time.. Can't convert back to region default without a relog.

BUT.

I'm holding out for that Firestorm update to see what happens.

Gotta remember Firestorm hasn't been updated since EEP rolled, so it's a bit behind.

Edited by s2Pandora

The question is, why do they set a total bad environment as default? Everywhere I go a place that is capable to show EEP it has a blue fog even inside of clubs (or shall it look like they smoke so much in the clubs). I guess people would think Firestorm turned to ***** and maybe change to another viewer. so for release set a default environment that looks normal. You can avoid a excrement storm on every support site! The beta testers play with the EEP because its their job to do that, they don't need to get pushed into it.

🙄 even the word s h i t s t o r m is replaced by stars. 

Edited by Aida Lundquist

14 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

No,  the sky is not "completely ruined" on Firestorm.

From the viewer menu, select:
World, Environment Editor, Sky Presets, Edit preset...

Then in the window which has opened you can change the direction and speed of the clouds with:
Cloud Scroll X and Cloud Scroll Y

yes the sky IS completely ruined.

1 hour ago, dstauffsl2 said:

yes the sky IS completely ruined.

It seems that you don't know how to use the viewer Windlight feature. Because it's totally possible to make the sky to look ok (except the stars which are ruined in non EEP viewers).
Please post here a snapshot of the ruined sky. And location where you see the ruined sky. I would be interested to see it inworld.

@Vir Linden

Second Life Release 6.2.0.526104 (64bit)
Released on April 11, 2019

In this EEP viewer update the sunlight reflection on water surface has very strong unrealistic glow when ALM is on.

2019-04-12_EEP-water-glow.gif.3daba5dadb1b810dc542db4c3b593550.gif

You are at 47.1, 40.5, 21.5 in Honah Lee Lagoon located at sim9703.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.45.37:13017)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Honah Lee Lagoon/47/40/22
(global coordinates 291,119.0, 267,048.0, 21.5)
Second Life RC LeTigre 19.04.09.526122

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3411.12 MHz)
Memory: 8169 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 25.21.14.1735
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 417.35

Additional notes about this EEP release:
Have some older bugs creeped into this release? The lighting appears to be very harsh with strong contrast. Shadows are extremely dark. The night is also very dark now, it's hard to see anything. In earlier release the night was too light, now it's too dark.

Edited by Coby Foden

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99805182@N05/

I know a thing or 2 about wind light. Being able to get a single sky to look passable using edit environment isn't the point.  Having every sims cycling winlight ruined the default ruined as well as the 100 custom wind lights ruined is. Everywhere I go in sl looks ridiculous now and I'm not interested in opening edit environment and using you up is down left is right logic to fix it. There are many threads on FB of bloggers very upset that they can't photograph now because of this. 

8 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

It seems that you don't know how to use the viewer Windlight feature. Because it's totally possible to make the sky to look ok (except the stars which are ruined in non EEP viewers).
Please post here a snapshot of the ruined sky. And location where you see the ruined sky. I would be interested to see it inworld.

3 minutes ago, dstauffsl2 said:

Everywhere I go in sl looks ridiculous now and I'm not interested in opening edit environment and using you up is down left is right logic to fix it. There are many threads on FB of bloggers very upset that they can't photograph now because of this.

If you are not interested to open the Environment editor then the only thing you can do is to wait until Firefox gets the EEP update.

• Lindens
4 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

@Vir Linden

In this EEP viewer update the sunlight reflection on water surface has very strong unrealistic glow when ALM is on.

You are at 47.1, 40.5, 21.5 in Honah Lee Lagoon located at sim9703.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.45.37:13017)

Have some older bugs creeped into this release? The lighting appears to be very harsh with strong contrast. Shadows are extremely dark. The night is also very dark now, it's hard to see anything. In earlier release the night was too light, now it's too dark.

I think we have an open JIRA on that one and it should be fixed in an upcoming RC. 

But just to be sure, please, open a JIRA on that issue.  

33 minutes ago, Rider Linden said:

I think we have an open JIRA on that one and it should be fixed in an upcoming RC. 

But just to be sure, please, open a JIRA on that issue.  

Oh Hai!

Here is JIRA: BUG-226749 - [EEP] When ALM is enabled, sun reflections in water are blinding white glow and flash too much if water has transparency.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Agreed.  Even midday looks dingy.
That's on my "to JIRA" list, unless you beat me to it.

14 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Agreed.  Even midday looks dingy.
That's on my "to JIRA" list, unless you beat me to it.

One more thing: The default clouds look very "bland", grey rain clouds with almost no details in them. Especially so near the horizon where the clouds appear dark grey.

24 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

@Rider Linden The next time someone at LL says "Hey, we've got this cool idea for a new project. Any volunteers?" keep schtum.

I could not agree more.

@Rider Linden Why not roll back the grid ro pre-EEP until such a time where you have a official EEP viewer out. As it is now it looks to me that it's only annoying many residents

• Like 1

Personally, I'm so excited for this feature to be released.  The current skies in SL are for me, terribly inadequate and so far behind modern games.  I really haven't noticed much difference since the EEP changes went out.  In general, the sky is just so uninteresting to look at, that it really hasn't affected my experience much at all. 

After just a few hours of playing around with the EEP viewer, for me, changed the skies from barely worth noticing, to (finally) close to breathtaking.  I can see that the current status of things has really detracted from the experience of others but I feel very confident that it'll be worth the growing pains once it's fully deployed.  

• Like 1

I agree with some of the comments above that a better default sky and water (maybe even a day cycle) could be considered. Explore different possible default textures even for clouds, water, etc.

I manually fixed the super glowy issue by changing the RenderGlowStrength debug setting from .350 to like .220 - .250. That might be a bit hacky way about it though.

963a135726dc3b82c459bd4c09ba94fd.jpg

Edited by Kurshie Muromachi
  • Like 3

On 4/12/2019 at 2:39 PM, Linnrenate Crosby said:

I could not agree more.

@Rider Linden Why not roll back the grid ro pre-EEP until such a time where you have a official EEP viewer out. As it is now it looks to me that it's only annoying many residents

Yes please? This is what MMO developers do. They would never release a broken buggy POS onto the live servers. It's wonderful that some day this will work and i'm glad for it being in dev but in it's current roll out it has broken the sky. I've stopped blogging for the time being. The sky is broken unless you switch to a beta viewer that is still in development. LL jumped the gun on this.

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2019 at 2:42 AM, Coby Foden said:

@Vir Linden

I've noticed this as well. I actually don't mind it too much on the water (though it's harsh on the horizon), but I notice that specular on items also seems very strong now.

Edited by Marianne McCann
more info

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.