Alexa Linden

Environmental Enhancement Project (aka EEP!) Feedback Thread

I have a humble suggestion, that was brought up at a meeting in Bay City the other day. With the advent of EEP, what are the chances of seeing the default day cycle edited, so that 3000m and above defaults to a “no atmosphere” (as in outset space) setting? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Marianne McCann said:

I have a humble suggestion, that was brought up at a meeting in Bay City the other day. With the advent of EEP, what are the chances of seeing the default day cycle edited, so that 3000m and above defaults to a “no atmosphere” (as in outset space) setting? 

Changing default is likely fraught with complaints, people hate change and all, so it would be better done at the parcel level for those who want it. A group of people would likely be offended if their skyboxes suddenly ended up in space.

But what might work is the viewer have a setting to play and lock a certain user defined sky. So, a rocket ship pilot could play a space light setting and it not accept any parcel changes along the way - all experiences ignored.

This of course brings up a valid point, as pilots fly over mainland they may end up being spammed with "accept this experience" dialogs.

A switch/key sequence somewhere for locked sky until next login (so that mistakes like "why can't I see any experience accept boxes any more), might be very worth it to stop that spam.

Edited by Callum Meriman

3 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Is there interpolation between altitude layer settings and appearances? Can a blue sky darken gradually through the ascending layers, as in real space?

In 4 steps. Each layer darker then the previous.

Oh, I understand... does one layer fade into another like when changing windlights. I'll have to check and post back, if nobody beats me to it.

Edited by Callum Meriman

any time you go from one environment to another, whether by moving to where a new one is in effect or because a day cycle is changing, the setting interpolate. For movement the change takes a few seconds.

• Thanks 2

Any time you move from one environment to another and the change takes a few seconds, it's jarring and unrealistic, it's not interpolation. I'm already used to this while traveling between different parcels or regions. I was asking whether, on one parcel, as you increase in elevation through the differently EEP defined levels, the sky would change gradually, with enough resolution to appear somewhat natural.

If these changes are treated the same way region or parcel border crossings have been, then my question is answered.

44 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Any time you move from one environment to another and the change takes a few seconds, it's jarring and unrealistic, it's not interpolation. I'm already used to this while traveling between different parcels or regions. I was asking whether, on one parcel, as you increase in elevation through the differently EEP defined levels, the sky would change gradually, with enough resolution to appear somewhat natural.

If these changes are treated the same way region or parcel border crossings have been, then my question is answered.

When moving between different altitudes that have different environments set, the transition between environments is the same as when you cross between parcels with different environments set.

There's some odd rendering glitches with the sky,sun position & horizon line up at altitude though - I'll file a JIRA for that bug,

https://gyazo.com/290dc250926a78e80dccde171bef4957

• Like 2