Environmental Enhancement Project (aka EEP!) Feedback Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Marianne McCann said:

I have a humble suggestion, that was brought up at a meeting in Bay City the other day. With the advent of EEP, what are the chances of seeing the default day cycle edited, so that 3000m and above defaults to a “no atmosphere” (as in outset space) setting? 

Changing default is likely fraught with complaints, people hate change and all, so it would be better done at the parcel level for those who want it. A group of people would likely be offended if their skyboxes suddenly ended up in space.

But what might work is the viewer have a setting to play and lock a certain user defined sky. So, a rocket ship pilot could play a space light setting and it not accept any parcel changes along the way - all experiences ignored.

This of course brings up a valid point, as pilots fly over mainland they may end up being spammed with "accept this experience" dialogs.

A switch/key sequence somewhere for locked sky until next login (so that mistakes like "why can't I see any experience accept boxes any more), might be very worth it to stop that spam.

Edited by Callum Meriman

3 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Is there interpolation between altitude layer settings and appearances? Can a blue sky darken gradually through the ascending layers, as in real space?

In 4 steps. Each layer darker then the previous.

Oh, I understand... does one layer fade into another like when changing windlights. I'll have to check and post back, if nobody beats me to it.

Edited by Callum Meriman

Any time you move from one environment to another and the change takes a few seconds, it's jarring and unrealistic, it's not interpolation. I'm already used to this while traveling between different parcels or regions. I was asking whether, on one parcel, as you increase in elevation through the differently EEP defined levels, the sky would change gradually, with enough resolution to appear somewhat natural.

If these changes are treated the same way region or parcel border crossings have been, then my question is answered.

44 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Any time you move from one environment to another and the change takes a few seconds, it's jarring and unrealistic, it's not interpolation. I'm already used to this while traveling between different parcels or regions. I was asking whether, on one parcel, as you increase in elevation through the differently EEP defined levels, the sky would change gradually, with enough resolution to appear somewhat natural.

If these changes are treated the same way region or parcel border crossings have been, then my question is answered.

When moving between different altitudes that have different environments set, the transition between environments is the same as when you cross between parcels with different environments set.

There's some odd rendering glitches with the sky,sun position & horizon line up at altitude though - I'll file a JIRA for that bug,

https://gyazo.com/290dc250926a78e80dccde171bef4957

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 6:33 AM, Oz Linden said:

any time you go from one environment to another, whether by moving to where a new one is in effect or because a day cycle is changing, the setting interpolate. For movement the change takes a few seconds.

Is there a setting to preferably lock EEP to a user selected setting and ignore all parcel changes, or if not a switch to stop it taking effect?

If not, this is going to be a bit difficult for SL Pilots who might cross 8 or 10 parcels in a region.

(Sorry if it's there, the LL viewer is complicated and hard for me to use, I looked but couldn't see it.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Is there a setting to preferably lock EEP to a user selected setting and ignore all parcel changes

That won't change from the way it is now: if you select a personal environment (for example, by selecting "Midday", but it can be anything you pick), then that applies until you choose "Use Shared Environment" or until the end of your session.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• Lindens
On 10/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, Darksider Alex said:

Hi Rider Linden! Will we be able to change the texture of our default sky?

This would be extremely useful, as we could make outer space skyboxes, or simulate larger city environments by changing the background texture. I can see many practical and artistic uses for this feature. 

Do you mean create an entire sky dome texture and apply that?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rider Linden said:

Do you mean create an entire sky dome texture and apply that?

In a sense, though retexturing the sky itself would allow for a greater illusion of scale, allowing us to create convincing outer space skyboxes, or distant mountain ranges. The possibilities are endless.

Megaprims aren't as efficient as this method, as they take up land impact and have a set scale, breaking the illusion if the edge is approached by an avatar. An avatar will never reach the end of the Second Life sky, lending authenticity to the illusion. 

• Like 2

The sun moon positioning thingamajiggers need number boxes to display and allow for the typing in more precise coordinates then what I can do with dragging or using arrows.  That said dragging the sun around the sky in wild and crazy loops and watching all the projected shadows dance is kinda fun.  Otherwise I'm going to have to make repeat LSL script calls to figure out precise sun positioning and that's going to be a hassle.

• Like 3

• Lindens
18 hours ago, Darksider Alex said:

In a sense, though retexturing the sky itself would allow for a greater illusion of scale, allowing us to create convincing outer space skyboxes, or distant mountain ranges. The possibilities are endless.

Megaprims aren't as efficient as this method, as they take up land impact and have a set scale, breaking the illusion if the edge is approached by an avatar. An avatar will never reach the end of the Second Life sky, lending authenticity to the illusion. 

I think that is actually a great idea.  If you would please create a JIRA for this ( http://jira.secondlife.com/ ) we can see if we can get it into the schedule. (If it doesn't make phase 1, it is absolutely something that we should try and incorporate into future enhancements.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Lindens
18 hours ago, Bellimora said:

The sun moon positioning thingamajiggers need number boxes to display and allow for the typing in more precise coordinates then what I can do with dragging or using arrows.  That said dragging the sun around the sky in wild and crazy loops and watching all the projected shadows dance is kinda fun.  Otherwise I'm going to have to make repeat LSL script calls to figure out precise sun positioning and that's going to be a hassle.

Yes.  I have some ideas about how to make them a little easier to use.  I believe we have something on the radar now... so keep an eye out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.