Unexplainable LI increase

DerrickDude

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello Everyone!

I am not new to SL, but I have recently started to take an interest in building objects.  I understand the basics but something has happened with a simple two prim table I was working on.  By simple, I mean simple...I started with two cylinders, stretched them both to the dimensions I wanted,  and linked them together.  After I had linked them, the LI unexplainably went from 2LI to 9LI.  I added nothing as far textures go.  I just tinted the default wood texture before linking.  I also tried changing the Physics Shape Type from Prim to Convex and None with no change in LI.

Am I missing the obvious??? 

Thanks for any answer as it will help me to understand LI more.

6 answers to this question

I just repeated your experiment, and my 2 prim table has a land impact of 2, regardless of whether the prims are linked, or whether their physics type is prim or convex hull.  When I switched it from convex hull back to prim, though, the LI decreased to 1.

You may have inadvertently selected some other objects when linking.  Right click the table, select Inspect (Object Profile, in the stock LL viewer).  See what's included in the linkset.

You may also have done other operations on the table's prims besides simply stretching them.  Select each prim individually (Edit Linked Parts) and carefully look at the settings in the Object tab.  Have you used Hollow, Path Cut, Twist, or Shear?

Here is the article on how LI is calculated: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/calculating-land-impact-r273/

• Thanks 1

Thank you Lindal.  That link was very helpful for me.  As for the simple table, I inspected the table and found only the two linked cylinders. When looking at each prim individually, they are both same path cut is 0 and 1 , taper is 0-0, slice 0-1and everything else is 0.

I just remade it again and compared the two.  Both are exactly the same size,  one is 2LI and the other is 9LI. I inspected both objects and found one difference.  in the TMem tab, both numbers were the same for the root prim, but on the second prim, the numbers were very different.  One read 768 and the other read 1152. I don't know how that happened or if that is even a factor since I made them both exactly the same way.

Anyhow, thank you for the help.

BTW, this was only done for practice, nothing important, just practice. :)

• Thanks 1

Ooh!  Have another look at this part of the Knowledge Base article:

"Legacy prim objects have a land impact rating equal to the number of prims they contain.  However, any object's land impact is calculated using download, server, and physics weights if it meets any of the following conditions:

• The object is an uploaded mesh.
  • The object is linked to an uploaded mesh.
  • The object, or any part of the object, has a physics shape type other than Prim.  You can change this on the Features tab of the Build Tools window.
  • The object has a normal or specular map applied to it."

Notice that last bullet.  Did you apply your texture to the reflection or bump mapping channel(s)??

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I also just today read a notecard about linking objects.  The notecard said that, depending on the prims you're linking, it is possible for linking to greatly increase the LI compared to the LI of the prims when separate.

Gotta hope existing linksets don’t change LI,  unless you were to unlink and relink them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.