Photography locations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking for sims that offer a variety of backgrounds and settings to practice my SL photo ability.

Waterfalls are fine, but a tad on the cliche side. I'm searching for scenes dark in texture (not lighting wise), with foliage and perhaps some old buildings/fencing/bridges (weathered textures). My landmarks used to include some sims, but one day, I got this idea to clean out my LM file and deleted them (that how it always works).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can search Places for "Photo" or "Photography" and many selections will come up where they try to design their places to be photo-worthy. I also like to go boating away from the Blake Sea area into the private sim regions and I often spot interesting things for "snapshotting" (that's what I call it since 'photography" is a misnomer.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CharlieMack said:

I'm looking for sims that offer a variety of backgrounds and settings to practice my SL photo ability.

Waterfalls are fine, but a tad on the cliche side. I'm searching for scenes dark in texture (not lighting wise), with foliage and perhaps some old buildings/fencing/bridges (weathered textures). My landmarks used to include some sims, but one day, I got this idea to clean out my LM file and deleted them (that how it always works).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What sort of photography are you interested in?

A huge number of "photogenic" sims have no way to let the photographer rez things, whether through open rez rights (with or without an autoreturn) or restricting rez rights to a group, paid or otherwise. Without the ability to rez pose stands, photographing people is impractical, and for a great many shots impossible.

If you search Places for "photo" or "photography", you will run into a huge number of sims that throw in that keyword to try and boost traffic, yet which lack this fundamental feature of a good photography sim. Others will include an impractically short auto return time, because the owner doesn't actually understand how photography in SL works. Some will look pretty, and are great for landscape shots; others will be clothing or sex sims that keyword spam to gain visits, and only a handful will actually be what you're after. If all you're after is landscape or building shots, then none of that matters.

Not logged in right now so can't give you landmarks (but these are all easily searchable); here's a few examples of sims from memory that might be a good place to start, all of which have rez rights (although some will require joining a paid group):

• Midnight Glory - grungy nighttime urban, open rez but 5 minute autoreturn (which makes using light projectors almost impossible)
  • Netherwood - overgrown foilage and weathered building textures
  • Ironwood Hills / Everwinter - two "abandoned spooky theme park" sims
  • Whimberly - rural countryside
  • Athenaeum - currently redecorated in a Halloween style, but had a mix of forests and old stonework before
  • Elysion - group of varied but beautiful sims, and the main sim has areas that sound like what you're looking for, but 1k group join fee (!!)
  • The Bay - sorta half 18th century wooden port town, half ancient stone ruins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:
  • Midnight Glory - grungy nighttime urban, open rez but 5 minute autoreturn (which makes using light projectors almost impossible)
  • Netherwood - overgrown foilage and weathered building textures
  • Ironwood Hills / Everwinter - two "abandoned spooky theme park" sims
  • Whimberly - rural countryside
  • Athenaeum - currently redecorated in a Halloween style, but had a mix of forests and old stonework before
  • Elysion - group of varied but beautiful sims, and the main sim has areas that sound like what you're looking for, but 1k group join fee (!!)
  • The Bay - sorta half 18th century wooden port town, half ancient stone ruins

I should have also mentioned the Destination Guide. Not the web page, but the in-world Destination guide. Editor's picks is a good one to start with. It's how I found gorgeous sims like Lost Unicorn. That category often features artsy sims also - those can make for great photo-shoots, too.

It is unfortunate, but true what @AyelaNewLife says about so many being no-rez. Though if you plan to take your Snapshotting seriously, (my word because 'photography is a misnomer, :)) you may want to invest in a LUMIpro HUD - though it's *very pricey* (Like 6.5k L$) - but it allows you to do entire photo shoots of other avatars in no rez places, including posing them and lighting them, etc. Otherwise, you'll have to coordinate well with them.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.