Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is anyone else having lag issues? Doesnt matter where i go or what i do, clear cache, go to less crowded sims, clean install. Ive done them all and nothing seems to be working. this just started a couple days ago, but already is getting annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you checked to see that nothing odd is going on with your internet connection?  And just being able to do other internet stuff doesn't mean anything.

Here's some things to check: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ 

Though sometimes just rebooting/resetting the modem & router help quite a bit.

 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Have you checked to see that nothing odd is going on with your internet connection?  And just being able to do other internet stuff doesn't mean anything.

Here's some things to check: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ 

Though sometimes just rebooting/resetting the modem & router help quite a bit.

 

Just curious, why isn’t one of the first things suggested / asked is that people be sure and try a wired connection, if they are currently using wireless? Just curious!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just curious, why isn’t one of the first things suggested / asked is that people be sure and try a wired connection, if they are currently using wireless? Just curious!

I actually tend to forget that people use wireless for interactive things like SL.  I realize that these days many people use wireless for all their computer activity, but I'm old school and pretty much never use wireless.  The only time I ever use wireless is when I'm traveling and then I accept that my connection and SL performance will likely be horrid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I actually tend to forget that people use wireless for interactive things like SL.  I realize that these days many people use wireless for all their computer activity, but I'm old school and pretty much never use wireless.  The only time I ever use wireless is when I'm traveling and then I accept that my connection and SL performance will likely be horrid.

Same here, but I assume some / many others may use wireless “by default”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging only by the posts I read here, it does seem to be that a fair number of people use wireless laptops for SL as their norm, so asking about that first is certainly a good idea.

I only use wireless for the printer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES.  Many lag problems with scripts.  Last week it was on the mainland, this week on a private region.  We hold a dance every day and a competition for best dressed.  Yesterday, nobody could vote because of the delays between board and chat.  It was terrible.  EVERYBODY suffered the same so it IS NOT an internet connection problem,  it is Linden Labs.  Whatever was done is a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Moon Narstrom said:

Many lag problems with scripts. ... EVERYBODY suffered the same so it IS NOT an internet connection problem,  it is Linden Labs.

Did you look at your statistics panel at the number of scripts running? If you have a pile of people, they will bring in a pile of scripts. The more scripts the less events can be run. This means contest boards will lag.

A lot of people wearing collars or not removing their unneeded HUDS can really bog a region down. There are a few ways to deal with that. If the club is on a staff-only group, and on ground level, then turn off non-group scripts.

You can also have a script meter hidden somewhere and have your officers discuss trimming people down in IM.

It might not be all of it, but it's a good start.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Callum,  what I know is a comparison between the past and the present.  Sure, we have lag when the dance is full but never with the contest board.  I logged into my sim parcel and tried to use a texture hud for my dress.  I was the ONLY avatar on the private region.  It took 20-30 seconds to see the change.  Last week and years before, this change took 1-2 seconds.  There was NOT a script overrun problem at 2:45 AM SLT on the sim.  I experienced a similar slow-down last week on a mainland region.  Now, on a private region.

I do not post complaints.  That is not my bag.  But, this problem warrants my posting.  And please,  the answer is not to punish or limit our visitors.  IF this is going to be the case, Linden should have notified everybody beforehand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

drop your draw distance

lower your graphics settings

derender all the rotating flashing crap so many clubs love to use to make their place seem more "alive"

jelly everyone that isnt a friend or you are interacting with

Edited by Phorumities
added a few words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your replies, I did check all my connections and did reboot the modem. Things seem slightly better today, so I guess time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moon Narstrom said:

Callum,  what I know is a comparison between the past and the present.  Sure, we have lag when the dance is full but never with the contest board.  I logged into my sim parcel and tried to use a texture hud for my dress.  I was the ONLY avatar on the private region.  It took 20-30 seconds to see the change.  Last week and years before, this change took 1-2 seconds.  There was NOT a script overrun problem at 2:45 AM SLT on the sim.  I experienced a similar slow-down last week on a mainland region.  Now, on a private region.

I do not post complaints.  That is not my bag.  But, this problem warrants my posting.  And please,  the answer is not to punish or limit our visitors.  IF this is going to be the case, Linden should have notified everybody beforehand.

This is kind of a parallel thread to the OP's, but I think it's important. Please, please when this occurs, follow Callum's advice to check the statistics bar (control-shift-1), open the "Simulator" heading, and look at the number of "Active Scripts", the percentage of "Scripts Run", and the "Spare Time" (a detail under the "Time" subheading). If you find that appreciably less than 100% of scripts are running most of the time, the sim has a real problem with too many scripts somewhere. At that point it becomes an exercise in finding those scripts.

On Mainland, if there's not an obvious griefer problem, it will usually be sky platforms of factory farms for breedable critters. I've made a hobby of snooping around laggy Mainland regions seeking the script scammers; the tools of this (admittedly pathetic) hobby include "Show Updates to Objects" (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-U), OBJECT_SCRIPT_TIME and PARCEL_COUNT_TEMP.

On Estates, there's a way for Estate Managers to easily and efficiently find the "Top Scripts" (where the top of that list isn't necessarily the problem, but if there are hundreds of the same scripted objects, that is almost surely the problem).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Moon Narstrom said:

Callum,  what I know is a comparison between the past and the present.  Sure, we have lag when the dance is full but never with the contest board.

Moon, I run a club too, and I am just trying to help. You can blame the lab and feel frustrated, or you can be proactive, debug the problem, and make everything nicer for your guests. I do the latter, because those complaints about "the Lab did something that broke my region" even if correct, will fall on deaf ears.

If you run a club, then you need to be proactive in keeping it performant. A performant club is one that guests don't get frustrated with.

So, as well as monitoring the statistics panel like a hawk, the other important thing to be aware of is : sometimes the weekly maintenance will end up with your region moving servers and ending up paired with a heavy, lag causing event or busy club. It's rare but it does happen.

Put a reboot script watching your server name in place and if that changes do some testing - walk about in circles for a while - watch for serious rubber banding or script failures. (on the statistics panel) before your guests come.

If serious rubber banding starts lodge a ticket and request the Lab move your region to another server.

 

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the same piece of 2304 of mainland for 10 years. I never had a lag problem in all that time.  I have a new neighbor who is building multiple skyboxes as rentals and clubs. There are two clubs right next to my skybox/ workshop now running scripts galore. The lag is terrible, and mainland is even worse. I think his goal is to use almost all land capacity on land or in the sky. I've been derendering as much as I can, but everything is built in pieces. I derender and there is twice as much when I log on again.  I've never had to derender before so I'm not sure if I have to derender every prim/mesh or if I can mass derender what's on his land. He bought land on both sides of mine so I'm sandwiched in between a lot of stuff from the ground into the sky. Does derendering remove all land impact or does it only affect my being able to see it?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TundraFire Nightfire said:

I've had the same piece of 2304 of mainland for 10 years. I never had a lag problem in all that time.  I have a new neighbor who is building multiple skyboxes as rentals and clubs. There are two clubs right next to my skybox/ workshop now running scripts galore. The lag is terrible, and mainland is even worse. I think his goal is to use almost all land capacity on land or in the sky. I've been derendering as much as I can, but everything is built in pieces. I derender and there is twice as much when I log on again.  I've never had to derender before so I'm not sure if I have to derender every prim/mesh or if I can mass derender what's on his land. He bought land on both sides of mine so I'm sandwiched in between a lot of stuff from the ground into the sky. Does derendering remove all land impact or does it only affect my being able to see it?   

If there's running scripts causing you lag, you derendring stuff won't have any effect, the sim will still process or try to process every script on the sim.

You might just want to consider moving. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Phorumities said:

If there's running scripts causing you lag, you derendring stuff won't have any effect, the sim will still process or try to process every script on the sim.

This is perhaps the msot important thing to keep in mind if you want to reduce lag: What kind of lag do you have problems with? Different parts of the SL system are loaded in different ways and it doesn't help much to reduce the load on your viewer when it's the server that is struggling to keep up - or vice versa.

Quick overview:

  • The assets servers are the ones that keep a database of all the items in SL. The assets servers don't usually have any performance problems but they have a history of getting hiccups every now and then and they may struggle a little bit with old style bulds with lots and ots and lots of prims.
  • The sim servers keep track of just about everything in the sim except the visuals. Typical causes of sims server lag are heavy scripting, heavy physics, lots of avatars and lots of communication lines. The performance of the sim servers deteriorate over time and they need to be restarted every now and then to keep up to speed. They are routinely restarted once a week but that may not be enough. According to Whitney Linden, sims that are heavily sued may well need a restart every day.
  • The connection lines have limited capacity of course. Mesh and to soem degree textures are the assets that cause the heaviest load here. If the connection is unstable, you get packet loss (data that is lost in transfer and has to be resent). That causes a lot of extra strain not only on the connection lines themselves but also on the servers and your cpu.
  • Your computer's cpu (Central Processing Unit) has to do a lot of preprocessing before it can send data to your gpu and according to some recent tests, it may well be a far bigger limiting factor to performance than the gpu. Fitted mesh is by far the heaviest asset class for the cpu to handle, closely followed by unoptimized sculpts.
  • Your gpu (Graphics Processing Unit) does all the work drawing the pictures on your screen. Assets that are particularly heavy for it to ahndle are poorly optimized mesh and to soem degree textures. A large number of sculpts will also cause cpu lag and so will a large amount alpha blended transparent textures.
  • You computer's VRAM is a special kind of memory that is much faster to access than the regular RAM. It is mainly used to store the textures for the scene and with the high number and resolution of textures we typically get in SL, it fills up very fast. Once it's full, your computer has to store textures in regular RAM and that slows everything down a lot.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you checked if you have accidentally disabled "vertex buffer objects" under graphics > rendering? It might explain the sudden change in performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another field trip report. At the moment, the sim is not in a lot of stress at all, but I'm the only avatar in the region now. Almost 100% of scripts run most frames and there's very little deviation from 45 fps. But it's tight: not a lot of spare time either, so it's easy to see where script lag could get to be a problem if a bunch of avatars arrive, each with a healthy dose of scripts.

Here's a thing that would help some, if you're on very good terms with the neighbors: There are some very old timey "::TWL:: Sakura Tree" items, one at about http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nordica/221/122/2006 that's still using an ancient script that temp-rezzes scripted, physical "Blossom" objects (sculpts, I think). This is a super resource-intensive way to get an effect. If you can charm that neighbor into refreshing that tree with something less crazy, the sim will pick up a bit of headroom for scripts.

  • In-world you can get handy clickable text for that sakura tree by pasting this into chat: 
    secondlife:///app/objectim/f5a7961e-0fb7-00b4-8ba4-8ac10c39a5fa?name=%3A%3ATWL%3A%3A%20Sakura%20Tree&owner=17f2e798-94c0-4950-a66c-c1ceb9769361&slurl=Nordica/221.427700/122.444100/2006.507000
    which doesn't work as a direct link here in the forums.)

Anyway, besides the one at 2006, there are other copies of that same sakura tree at altitudes 1806, 1606, 1406, 1206, 1007, 807, 606, 406, and 206

IIRC there used to be an even worse version of this tree, but still, these ten trees keeping a combined 150+ scripted physical temp-rezzed objects present at all times are not doing the sim any favors.

  • While counting those trees, I just happened to notice that another neighbor has a "NOMAD // FLIPCARD // Hakuna Matata"
    secondlife:///app/objectim/0dd3f089-f7a2-9c2b-4db9-d1111002fb46?name=NOMAD%20%2F%2F%20FLIPCARD%20%2F%2F%20Hakuna%20Matata&owner=a029ed85-8f0a-48e4-87f7-5d03235e5c4c&slurl=Nordica/169.635700/153.789700/1300.729000
    that's burning a steady 64 microseconds of script time each frame; it's not terrible, but it would be apparent in Top Scripts if we had such a thing for Mainland, and it's dumping quite a stream of object updates into the network of anybody with it in view.
  • Higher on that list: a "Neon Paw [ADN] HeadPhones DJ Both"
    secondlife:///app/objectim/ca6330ce-6597-6792-3b90-2971313dc646?name=Neon%20Paw%20%5BADN%5D%20HeadPhones%20DJ%20Both&owner=1b6e58e3-42e4-40df-8966-6cb2e0ec8965&slurl=Nordica/162.402000/96.281800/1000.389000
    that burns 226 microseconds with even more object updates.

Again, these are just a few items that contribute to script lag, but that may not even be the lag you're experiencing (but that marked delay specifically in updating scripted texture changes does suggest it's a problem some of the time).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...