How often do you admire your own avatar?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

This is an interesting concept. I actually spent no money on my avatar. I only got freebies, and I’m happy with them. Also, I played that one coin collecting game to collect my own in game money. I think the game was called Linden Coin Collectors or something like that with the word Linden in it. After I bought an outfit I wanted, I stopped collecting money and stopped playing the game because I don’t have any outfits that I actually wanted. I focus more on my real life more than Second Life because I am more satisfied with receiving actual items that I can wear.

Mon Dieu ! It’s interesting that some people had spent a lot of money on their avatars. Do you sometimes regret for spending real money on virtual items? Why or why not?

I treat it like a 'subscription' to the 'game'. I buy a set number of Lindens every month, and I do whatever the hell I want with those Lindens; but once they are gone, they are gone, with no exceptions or topups. I don't see it as "I'm going to buy these virtual shoes for $1", I see it as paying for a service that I get use out of; like a phone bill or my netflix subscription. 

I don't have a premium subscription because I see no reason to pay for 300 lindens a week when I could buy 700 a week for the same dollar cost. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I treat it like a 'subscription' to the 'game'. I buy a set number of Lindens every month, and I do whatever the hell I want with those Lindens; but once they are gone, they are gone, with no exceptions or topups. I don't see it as "I'm going to buy these virtual shoes for $1", I see it as paying for a service that I get use out of; like a phone bill or my netflix subscription. 

I don't have a premium subscription because I see no reason to pay for 300 lindens a week when I could buy 700 a week for the same dollar cost. 

That's nice. Sadly, I can't afford to buy online stuff since I have college. But I have an idea on what to spend my extra savings for. So far, I want better clothes and furniture that suit my tastes more. I've read that phone bills overprice their texts. Sending one text actually costs less than one cent. It only costs a tiny fraction of that one cent. However, phone companies make their texts cost several dollars per text.

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/141867-price-gouging-it-costs-more-to-send-a-text-message-on-earth-than-from-mars

I agree. It's more expensive for the premium subscription and not worth it. You actually spend more than what you get in many websites like Second Life if you buy a premium subscription. I don't see a reason why some people buy it.

2 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

However, phone companies make their texts cost several dollars per text.

The article you cited clearly says 20 cents without a plan, not "several dollars." It's still overpriced but the margin of error rivals the estimated mark-up rate.

It's more expensive for the premium subscription and not worth it. You actually spend more than what you get

You get a weekly stipend of lindens, 1024sqm of land, increased groups, priority entry, etc. If you buy a year's worth of Premium, you pay $6 per month and get 1200L per month.

Buying 1200L through LindeX is currently estimated to cost $6.29. So you'd actually get more lindens through Premium than buying it directly, and we're not even considering the free land tier or the other subjective value of extra groups and other benefits. This is way besides the point though. 

But I have an idea on what to spend my extra savings for. So far, I want better clothes

I like your unique style and would totally donate some for your budget. Let me know if that's okay.

As for the topic itself..

I value my avatars differently. I have my "main avatar" that's my ideal representation of me and how I want to be seen, but I don't admire it because it's "just me." I also have avatars I don't really care about because I've just made to be used around people and places with different rules and sensibilities.

But I've also made avatars which are based on my preferences for other people. These are the ones I tend to admire (as in, look at and adore or swoon over) assuming I haven't scrapped and forgotten about it. I don't think of these avatars as me or representing me, so the detached mentality allows me to do it without feeling egotistic. This also applies to basically all of my avatars on alts.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

20 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The article you cited clearly says 20 cents without a plan, not "several dollars." It's still overpriced but the margin of error rivals the estimated mark-up rate.

You get a weekly stipend of lindens, 1024sqm of land, increased groups, priority entry, etc. If you buy a year's worth of Premium, you pay $6 per month and get 1200L per month.

Buying 1200L through LindeX is currently estimated to cost $6.29. So you'd actually get more lindens through Premium than buying it directly, and we're not even considering the free land tier or the other subjective value of extra groups and other benefits. This is way besides the point though. 

I like your unique style and would totally donate some for your budget. Let me know if that's okay.

As for the topic itself..

I value my avatars differently. I have my "main avatar" that's my ideal representation of me and how I want to be seen, but I don't admire it because it's "just me." I also have avatars I don't really care about because I've just made to be used around people and places with different rules and sensibilities.

But I've also made avatars which are based on my preferences for other people. These are the ones I tend to admire (as in, look at and adore or swoon over) assuming I haven't scrapped and forgotten about it. I don't think of these avatars as me or representing me, so the detached mentality allows me to do it without feeling egotistic. This also applies to basically all of my avatars on alts.

I know I did read something that said what I said, but I couldn’t find that article or video anymore, so I grabbed a different article that expressed similar things.

Ah, ok. That’s interesting. Since it takes too much time to create an avatar, I get impatient easily and stick with one avatar for multiple uses.

How are you going to donate money to me? I don’t have Paypal nor a credit card. Plus, my taste is probably out of your budget. It’s ok if it’s the Second Life money instead of real life money. I hear that we can convert the currency between Second Life money and real life money. I’ll figure it out someday once I graduate college.

1 minute ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

How are you going to donate money to me? I don’t have Paypal nor a credit card. Plus, my taste is probably out of your budget. It’s ok if it’s the Second Life money instead of real life money. I hear that we can convert the currency between Second Life money and real life money. I’ll figure it out someday once I graduate college.

Oh! I didn't realize you were talking about clothes and furniture IRL. Even then you're probably not out of my budget but I've no interest in going that far. 

1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Oh! I didn't realize you were talking about clothes and furniture IRL. Even then you're probably not out of my budget but I've no interest in going that far. 

Oh, that’s ok. You don’t have to send me clothes and furniture irl because that would be too expensive! I guess I’ll go with Second Life currency. XD

On 10/2/2018 at 6:16 PM, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

My clothes are so hard to find that the only way you can get them is to have a dressmaker get them for you. Here are some pictures of clothes that I would wear in real life. I’m not kidding! I just love those styles, and wearing them actually make me feel majestic.26651D35-7D23-4B4E-B037-033C8C2111F2.jpeg.787bdfca54bd6fa1838d8bce933d88ab.jpeg7C0C2279-38EB-41B5-A69C-060C2F842AC6.jpeg.d2419e6798a2d945a096684463ecbdf0.jpeg0F6851EE-C2A6-416B-84CF-9B9AD20FF404.thumb.jpeg.d95419ce242982d6d07478b15e9fd458.jpeg

My taste in clothes is just very different from everyone I’ve ever met in my entire life. It’s been like that, and the reason why I have a strong preference for those clothes rather than the modern clothes is hard to explain.

A lot of my clothes are for practical reasons..

I have my riding gear for riding and my clothes and gear for competition and working with my horses..Although I don't compete anymore,but still practice and keep the horses fit for it..They really love it..

I have my work clothes for around the ranch..

I have my professional clothes for my job..

Then I have my wardrobe for everything else from relaxed to casual to elegant and any other things i can sneak in there without my husband finding out. hehehehe

Not to make light of mental illness, but I keep being reminded of the old stereotype mental patient, who thinks they are Napoleon, and wears a paper bicorner or tricorner hat. It was a comics meme in the 70’s I think..based on a psychiatric condition called the “Napoleon Complex”. This is also a term for “short men who act out because they are short.”

One running joke would be to have several mental patients arguing over who is the “real Napoleon”.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2764/napoleon-complex/

https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/n/napoleon_complexes.asp

https://thesmallhistories.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/napoleon-complex/

A1CFF6F3-221D-4F5A-8537-C1483410CD26.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2018 at 7:21 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Not to make light of mental illness, but I keep being reminded of the old stereotype mental patient, who thinks they are Napoleon, and wears a paper bicorner or tricorner hat. It was a comics meme in the 70’s I think..based on a psychiatric condition called the “Napoleon Complex”. This is also a term for “short men who act out because they are short.”

One running joke would be to have several mental patients arguing over who is the “real Napoleon”.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2764/napoleon-complex/

https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/n/napoleon_complexes.asp

https://thesmallhistories.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/napoleon-complex/

A1CFF6F3-221D-4F5A-8537-C1483410CD26.jpeg

The hat is called a bicorn. It's worn the wrong way. The right way to wear it was supposed to be from back to front instead of sideways.

A comic's meme in the 70's? Hmm... I've never heard of that before, but I did read about "Napoleon Complex."

I just read all 3 of the links. They're funny. The last one with the comic about Wellington being 100 feet tall is even funnier!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.