How often do you admire your own avatar?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I definitely admire my avatar LOL I think part of the point is to put effort into it to the extent that you'd admire your own creation

For me it's kind of a self perpetuating cycle. I loosely base my avatar on my own look, style and sensibilities. Some people can go for whatever is seasonal or looks good at the time (which is great too), but in terms of skin, skin color, head, shape, hair, and overall fashion aesthetic, I go for a look that coincides with who I am. I've brought my cultural and racial roots in, used hairstyles I either have or have had before, and though I'm not nearly as ripped as my avi, I try to follow the same general proportions of my body type. My AO suits my personality and other than eye color and tattoos (because I can't change those every day IRL like I can in SL of course) I'd say my avatar is an idealized version of myself. 

So yes, you could say I'd want to be my avatar, but my avatar is actually trying to be me to begin with. Kinda like the chicken or the egg scenario here ?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rio Mizin said:

I definitely admire my avatar LOL I think part of the point is to put effort into it to the extent that you'd admire your own creation

For me it's kind of a self perpetuating cycle. I loosely base my avatar on my own look, style and sensibilities. Some people can go for whatever is seasonal or looks good at the time (which is great too), but in terms of skin, skin color, head, shape, hair, and overall fashion aesthetic, I go for a look that coincides with who I am. I've brought my cultural and racial roots in, used hairstyles I either have or have had before, and though I'm not nearly as ripped as my avi, I try to follow the same general proportions of my body type. My AO suits my personality and other than eye color and tattoos (because I can't change those every day IRL like I can in SL of course) I'd say my avatar is an idealized version of myself. 

So yes, you could say I'd want to be my avatar, but my avatar is actually trying to be me to begin with. Kinda like the chicken or the egg scenario here ?

This ^^^^ sums me up. Of course I admire my Avi. I've made her as good as I can, and all Avis are works of art. Like Alyona says......SL is all about narcissism for some many, and tail-chasing for the rest. by the guy Avis........................

18 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...has a tail, and has chased it more than once.

I thought about that when I wrote it, meaning "chasing that good-looking booty" (as in that other's tail) and thought about clarifying and decided no... chasing one's own tail fits, too. LOL

(P.S.: Great title. 'Tis my Flickr URL LOL)

Edited by Alyona Su

15 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

This ^^^^ sums me up. Of course I admire my Avi. I've made her as good as I can, and all Avis are works of art. Like Alyona says......SL is all about narcissism for some many, and tail-chasing for the rest. by the guy Avis........................

You got it spot-on (my meaning)! The reason I chose the word "many" to be polite about it, and "by the guys" is more specific than I intended, but is certainly what I meant. Hahahaha!. 

As for the narcissist in me about my Avatar: darned right. I can say I have spent at least a literal couple thousand RL $ on it. 

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

Constantly. Dang it, I put a lot of money into my avatar! You bet your bippy I'm gonna admire her all the time.

That, and when I cam around I lag pretty bad depending on where I am.

This is an interesting concept. I actually spent no money on my avatar. I only got freebies, and I’m happy with them. Also, I played that one coin collecting game to collect my own in game money. I think the game was called Linden Coin Collectors or something like that with the word Linden in it. After I bought an outfit I wanted, I stopped collecting money and stopped playing the game because I don’t have any outfits that I actually wanted. I focus more on my real life more than Second Life because I am more satisfied with receiving actual items that I can wear.

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

You got it spot-on (my meaning)! The reason I chose the word "many" to be polite about it, and "by the guys" is more specific than I intended, but is certainly what I meant. Hahahaha!. 

As for the narcissist in me about my Avatar: darned right. I can say I have spent at least a literal couple thousand RL $ on it. 

Mon Dieu ! It’s interesting that some people had spent a lot of money on their avatars. Do you sometimes regret for spending real money on virtual items? Why or why not?

9 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

I am wondering how much you admire your avatars as a role model? Do any of you wish to be like your Second Life avatars?

I don't see my avatar as my role model..

Do i wish to be like my avatar? Being able to fly would be awesome,and being able to move mountains by pointing at them and moving them from one place to another would be really awesome..

Those are really the only two things that come to mind that I would like to be able to have..I can pretty much get or already have much of the other things that my avatar has in RL..

And really what she has is mine already anyways hehehehe

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rio Mizin said:

Every avatar I’ve made look nothing like me except for a Pixie Hollow Fairy from the Pixie Hollow game that closed down some years ago. I was about 11 years old when I made avatars that looked like the real me but in fancier clothing. After I learned about dangers of the internet from my parents, I stopped making my avatars look like myself. I started experimenting with different looks for my avatar and went for fictional women that I made up. Some had brown hair while others had blonde hair and blue eyes. All the women wore ball gowns. Next, I went for male avatars after finding out that men acted inappropriate and that my personality is more dominant than the women other people portrayed. My avatars were all based on historical figures, mostly military generals. I tried my best to make my avatars to look exactly like those generals. After that, I stopped playing video games in high school, so I could focus on my studies. Now, I’m in college and still don’t play video games.

Changing tattoos? That would look interesting if that can happen. I imagine a chameleon because they can change skin colors. Well, I do not have any tattoos at all. 

I think that having an avatar that looks similar to you actually shows that you are very confident and happy with yourself. It’s a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't see my avatar as my role model..

Do i wish to be like my avatar? Being able to fly would be awesome,and being able to move mountains by pointing at them and moving them from one place to another would be really awesome..

Those are really the only two things that come to mind that I would like to be able to have..I can pretty much get or already have much of the other things that my avatar has in RL..

And really what she has is mine already anyways hehehehe

Wait, you can move mountains in Second Life?! I didn’t know that, but that, indeed, sounds interesting.

Mon Dieu ! You’re lucky that you got to have the clothes in real life that your avatar gets. Sadly, I can’t find any clothes my style, but I can show you some pictures of clothes that I wish for.

1 minute ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Wait, you can move mountains in Second Life?! I didn’t know that, but that, indeed, sounds interesting.

Mon Dieu ! You’re lucky that you got to have the clothes in real life that your avatar gets. Sadly, I can’t find any clothes my style, but I can show you some pictures of clothes that I wish for.

The clothes I look for in SL are much of what I would wear in RL..The things my avatar wears most of the time are not hard at all to find all over RL.. Most of them,I wouldn't even have to go online and shop for them..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

It’s interesting that some people had spent a lot of money on their avatars. Do you sometimes regret for spending real money on virtual items? Why or why not?

The money I spend in SL is part of my entertainment budget.  Thus I don't regret any of the money that I've spent on my avatar, just like I don't regret the money that I've spend on any other type of entertainment. 

• Like 1

Due to mobility issues on and off for many years, I have very few regrets about the money I spent in Second Life.  I don't drink, have a hard time at the movies, don't go dancing, etc.  So most of my entertainment comes from SL and the friends I have online.  To that end, what I spend is entertainment expenses I might spend elsewhere if I could, and I like looking good while I'm here.

21 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The clothes I look for in SL are much of what I would wear in RL..The things my avatar wears most of the time are not hard at all to find all over RL.. Most of them,I wouldn't even have to go online and shop for them..

My clothes are so hard to find that the only way you can get them is to have a dressmaker get them for you. Here are some pictures of clothes that I would wear in real life. I’m not kidding! I just love those styles, and wearing them actually make me feel majestic.26651D35-7D23-4B4E-B037-033C8C2111F2.jpeg.787bdfca54bd6fa1838d8bce933d88ab.jpeg7C0C2279-38EB-41B5-A69C-060C2F842AC6.jpeg.d2419e6798a2d945a096684463ecbdf0.jpeg0F6851EE-C2A6-416B-84CF-9B9AD20FF404.thumb.jpeg.d95419ce242982d6d07478b15e9fd458.jpeg

My taste in clothes is just very different from everyone I’ve ever met in my entire life. It’s been like that, and the reason why I have a strong preference for those clothes rather than the modern clothes is hard to explain.

2 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

I focus more on my real life more than Second Life because I am more satisfied with receiving actual items that I can wear.

It’s interesting that some people had spent a lot of money on their avatars. Do you sometimes regret for spending real money on virtual items?

I stopped playing video games in high school, so I could focus on my studies. Now, I’m in college and still don’t play video games.

proxy.duckduckggo_com.jpg.42a79419c74a3b2e40acbb8665a31d0f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Mon Dieu ! It’s interesting that some people had spent a lot of money on their avatars. Do you sometimes regret for spending real money on virtual items? Why or why not?

Yes, but rarely. Also - I have been in SL since 2006 - I didn't splurge THAT much in a short period of time! LOL But I do have a monthly budget for myself. I see it as the same as buying Starbucks coffee or going to the movies: it's an entertainment cost and lasts longer than those others.

I've had unaccountable number of looks, probably neither of them really looked like me, the one thing I seem to keep as a pattern is the pale/light skin (which I also have irl), as much as sun kissed/tan/dark skins have way more details and realism to them (for the big brands), I always end up going for avatars with doll/baby looking face. I don't think I ever looked at someone else's avatar and thought "omg I want my avatar to look like that". I often get myself standing on a private plot just looking at my avatar dancing or changing outfit. I'm quite egocentric when it comes to that.

Edited by Sylvannas Zulaman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes, but rarely. Also - I have been in SL since 2006 - I didn't splurge THAT much in a short period of time! LOL But I do have a monthly budget for myself. I see it as the same as buying Starbucks coffee or going to the movies: it's an entertainment cost and lasts longer than those others.

I was 8 years old back then.

That’s interesting. I hear that you can watch movies online for free. My brother showed me some websites that played those movies for free. I’ve tried it, but then I needed antivirus and pop up blockers installed because when I tried clicking the play button, virus pop up windows  and sometimes sex websites came up. Some of the free movie websites ask for my credit card, which I don’t have one, so I skipped them. If I did have a credit card, I wouldn’t put it there because the sites were probably free trials until some weeks/months later, I would have to pay.

Sadly, my mom doesn’t buy Starbucks. The coffees did taste good, but they’re too expensive and out of our budget due to my overpriced college debts. The USA just overprices their college classes when education was meant to help evolve mankind.

Maybe we should start a parallel thread titled How often do you admire other peoples avatars?

There are a small number on here who are utterly gorgeous, and some of the guys on here aint bad either.

How come the top looking guys are so rare in world????????? Hehe.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.