Blender 2.79 Collada Export for SecondLife Failing

Sean Heavy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have tested the Blender Collada export for SL avatar mesh using the fitted_mesh-270.blend Blender file downloaded from here:
https://blog.machinimatrix.org/fitted_mesh_survival_kit/

Earlier Blender versions, (2.72, 2.75a, 2.76b, 2.77, 2.78c), are working fine for exporting your Blender mesh as an SL Avatar Mesh. The latest, 2.79, does not work for exporting your Blender mesh as an SL Avatar Mesh. (Using a Mac; I dunno about the PC version, but I assume it is the same.) The problem is the resulting avatar looks completely deformed. Is anyone else having this problem? Am I the only one experiencing this issue? Should I report it as a bug to Blender? My tests on all those versions had essentially identical settings in the Collada export tool.

I have also tried a number of other meshes, also exhibiting the same problems.

~Sean Heavy

I am not aware of any issue with Blender 2.79 exports, I know of many people using it and I would presume a number of them are on Mac but I cannot say for sure. Personally, I have been using Blender 2.79b for a long time now without issue. Is the problem you are having only with rigged meshes? I am using a PC but, as you state, would not normally expect there to be significant differences. Are you exporting using the standard blender Collada exporter or the Avastar exporter?

When you are exporting, which of the defaults in "operator presets" are you selecting?

SL + Open Sim rigged is what you should be using for avatars (I presume you are) for me selecting that gives the following:-

8c689c6f2607fc6bd9ef4328a8615aec.png
https://gyazo.com/8c689c6f2607fc6bd9ef4328a8615aec

Beq

• Like 3

Hi Beq Janus,

I just realized, I too am using 2.79b, (I left off the b in my post.)

I am using the built-in Blender collada export tool. I am using the default "Sl + Open Sim Rigged" settings, which work fine in the other Blender versions I tested.  I am not using Avastar, and, yes, rigged meshes for SL avatar bodies. For now, I have just started using 2.78c since it works fine, but I would like to find out what is happening with 2.79b.

Here are some screenshots of my settings for export from Blender and Import to SL. Note the deformed body on the SL import. BTW, the deform only happens when you 'skin'/wear it; if you just set it on the ground for editing, it looks fine.

~Sean Heavy

Editing, This was the wrong screenshot for the collada export. Here is the correct one that I am using.

1289532730_ScreenShot2018-10-01at5_23_21PM.png.64a6d4138f64218b937a5f7e1a67cdcd.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 5.02.26 PM.png

Edited by Sean Heavy
Wrong screenshot.

Macro,

On a Mac, there is no 'install' to bork. You just unzip it, move it to the Applications folder and run the program. Also, the latest release is the one having the problem. I went back to a previous release to not have the bug.

I have heard in private that others are having similar, if not the same, issues with the latest release of Blender. I was hoping to reach more people in the forums.

~Sean Heavy

I left a message for @Gaia Clary as she is most likely to know the answer.

As I have not used much  in the way of frigged mesh and when I have it has been entirely custom not based on the SL body my experience is too limited to give real insight. I did, however, try this.

I went to Gaia's machinmatrix website and pulled down her blend file for non-avastar users. This was made prior to 2.79 and bento etc. ()https://blog.machinimatrix.org/fitted_mesh_survival_kit/)

I loaded it into 2.79b and exported using the settings we showed above. and lo and behold I found the following, which I presume is incorrect. https://gyazo.com/b1e0a7ef6d11476c8e557c9bf318c4e1

It does not match yours but it is still "alien"

It may be that with Bento the older weights needs changing, the body/skeleton needs to be updated or something.

I have paged Gaia on here as I have no doubt at all that she can clarify what we are doing wrong here

• Like 2

Hi;

Its a bit complicated to explain. But let me try:

The short answer for the Howto people

When you export with Blender 2.79 then also enable the new option "keep bind info". Then you will see the SL Importer treats the meshes again as expected. But note: This only works when the Armature has been prepared (contains the bind information of the collision volume bones). If you want to know more details, then here is ...

The long answer for the Why people

In older releases before Blender-2.79 we have added a quick fix for exporting fitted Mesh. With this quick fix it became possible to export the Bone scaling for fitted Mesh bones into Collada. The Exporter handled this automatically.  The bad thing here was that the necessary extra data (the collision volume scaling) had to be added manually to each Collision Volume Bone (see the last chapter in the Fitted Mesh Kit page ) and that was extremely error prone and not very user friendly.

However, the demo meshes that we provide for Blender already contain this data and so users normally would just open the demo blend files, create their mesh attachments, export to Collada and all is well.

In Blender 2.79 we have generalized the fitted mesh support into "Basic support for importing meshes with Bind information" (bind pose support). This means now you do no longer need to have special made blend files but you can import Meshes with Bind poses from Maya, 3DS Max, etc. and get the necessary bind data into place as long as you import "with bind info".

So the generalized situation in Blender 2.79 is like this:

• For importing meshes we now store the Bind information when the new import option "keep bind info" is enabled.
  • Consequently for exporting meshes the bind information is now only exported when the new option "keep bind info" is enabled.

However the new export option "keep bind info" is not part of the exporter presets and needs to be enabled manually. But you can create your own export presets (that is what i did for myself)

i know i tend to talk too much. But i hope it was at least helpful ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thank you very much @Gaia Clary!!

I had been reading your Fitted Mesh Kit page, but I never made the connection to the "Keep Bind Info" needing to be enabled for Collada exporting. I just tried the export/import again with the proper settings, and it is working great. I would like to suggest adding your statements below to the Fitted Mesh Kit page for those like me who just don't seem to make the connection:

37 minutes ago, Gaia Clary said:

So the generalized situation in Blender 2.79 is like this:

• For importing meshes we now store the Bind information when the new import option "keep bind info" is enabled.
  • Consequently for exporting meshes the bind information is now only exported when the new option "keep bind info" is enabled.

However the new export option "keep bind info" is not part of the exporter presets and needs to be enabled manually. But you can create your own export presets (that is what i did for myself)

@Gaia Clary, Thank you for all the work you do on the Blender to SecondLife transitions. I am hoping to soon purchase your Avastar tools when I have the extra cash, if anything to encourage you to keep up the good work. Thanks again!

~Sean Heavy

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.