crissy Carolina

lying during RP

Seeing this thread pop-up again gets me wondering what else people would do in RP. After all, it is called role play for a reason.

The moment I log on to SL and the engine starts I am already mentally preparing to get into my SL character. Often I already feel a tingle of being that person and that is when I become motivated to get back to my SL character again and I look forward to logging on again. What I am not is a SL clone of my RL being, although I did take elements of my RL life, friends, appearance and fantasies which formed the core of my SL character which subsequently developed over time.

During any interaction with another SL character I am now being me, me being my SL character, not the RL me.

So, yes, I begin my lies from the second I log on.

• Like 3

I think the problem is most people do meta-roleplay or they switch from in character to out of character without warning. That can be a little confusing.

Common sense should apply, but since people approach their avatar’s existence from different points of view you end up with hurt feelings sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janetosilio said:

I think the problem is most people do meta-roleplay or they switch from in character to out of character without warning. That can be a little confusing.

Common sense should apply, but since people approach their avatar’s existence from different points of view you end up with hurt feelings sometimes.

Is meta-RP ever like soap operas?

He: “Ahahaha, I’m not really your long lost friend, I’m really your evil twin from dimension X!”

5 minutes later..

He: “Ahahaha, I’m not really your evil twin, I’m your father - time-traveling from the past to take your place!”

5 minutes later...

He:”Ahahaha, I’m not really your younger father, I’m your mother and you must come with me!”

5 minutes later...

He:”Ahahaha, I’m not really your mother, I’m your sister and I carry your child!”

• Haha 2

What you need to understand, that Roleplay, whether it be in Real life or Second Life, is you and your partner(s) playing out a fantasy, so to some degree you are lying but not in the same context that it plays in with everyday life.  In Roleplay, you are playing a character, much like an actor in a play or movie, or in a fantasy novel. With sexual themed RP however, I've learned over the years its different. Most people in SL do it for there own sexual pleasure in RL and most take a lot of pride in knowing there RP and emotes brought you pleasure in SL. That being said though if they didn't, don't tell them they did just because you think that's what they wanna hear. 

Second point. The best way to decipher if they are RPing or not is if they use the /me thing before typing. That gets rid of the: in your reply and its a very well function to help clear up any confusion. For Example, if they tell you they love you in an /me style emote, then odds are that's what their character feels, not them. For example, When the Actress who played Claire in Outlander Tells the Actor who Plays Jamie she loves him, that's her character saying that, not the actor. Get where I'm going with this? If they tell you they love you in just a casual conversation, however, then they are speaking truly.

At the end of the day if you're unsure, its best to just follow your gut and speak truly, or ask the person you are interacting with

On 10/22/2018 at 6:39 PM, Gabriele Graves said:

If I am participating in a roleplay environment where it is understood that collectively we are weave the threads of a story together, then I am playing a fictional part and yes, my character may lie depending on what I determine to be necessary for my part in that story.  If I am not in such an environment then I may still bring small elements of roleplay into conversation for fun but I will not take the position that we are creating a story together and will essentially be my RL self.

This.

I'm glad people think I am telling lies when I call everyone around me in my 1920s sims a bunch of lazy drunks and when I tell them jazz is evil and they're all lazy no good tarts who have no idea what life was like when the Kaiser was still around.
Pesky kids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I really don't want to know if you are a 300 pound misanthrope with bad breath in RL.  PLEASE LIE!  Be the J-Lo lookalike with the sweet disposition for me.  Please tell me nothing about your RL, I don't want to know.  

Anyway, I am a Swedish supermodel in RL so I am not interested in your RL self.  Just forget about it.  

• Haha 1

To the original poster. You first have to decide if its role playing. Did you think or feel it was real? Did it have real meaning to you? Did it have any deep emotional attachement to you? Where you being you, or where you being your avatar?

If it was just RP, just a story, just fake, like a book or movie or tv show then no lieing to them is not bad; if it doesnt go against your morals or personal standards and ethics to do so. One of the things you will learn is that a lot of the people in sl, have very different ethics or morals or standards than you might, and they might clash with yours at times. You have to learn not to take it to personal or it can eat you up inside.

now when it its rp and they suddenly break the fourth wall and try and bring rl into the equation that should give you a hint that to them it might not have been just rp, that there was some sort of rl feelings for them involved. again depending upon your morals and ethics and standards you might either tell them no, and be honest and truthful and hope they understand and do not get hurt or upset; or you lie and tell them yes. but doing so could open the door for them to ever try and ask more rl questions you might not want to answer at that point or ever.

so really the most important questions is was it all just rp to you? where you just playing a character? do you see all of sl as just fantasy and games and imagination and an escape from reality? Or is sl some sort of extenion of rl to you? ask yourself those first then decide based upon your own personal feelings and morals and ethics what is the right answer to give, no one else can really give you that answer. only you can make the final choice of what is right or wrong for you and how you act or respond to anyone in sl.

some people will get hurt, some wont by what ever you choose. unfortunately that is how it will be.

you dont really have to respond or act or behave in any set way that someone else might want in sl, which can be a good thing and a bad thing but that is the nature of the beast of sl. it is what you make of it and what you take from it, not what anyone else says or claims or thinks or feels or wants or desires or demands it be. it is what you are wanting and how much it means to you.

if you are a deep personal and emotional person, try and learn not to take sl serious or personalize or internalize what happens here and it will make being here less painful or disappointing to you. its not always easy to do, and yes it will upset some if you do it because you wont be feeding their ego or delusions about how you have to act or behave or respond to them.

remember its your sl first, not theirs. so try and enjoy it as much as you can. take care of your feeligns and needs first, then worry about the other people around. you will eventually find thsoe you agree with and weed out those that do not mesh with your values or wants out of your time in sl.

I try not to lie, it's easier to tell the truth, then I don't have to remember what I said.  On the other hand, I do confabulate at times.  But it's usually pretty obvious when I do.  Then there are the little white lies.... they don't count, right?

• Like 1

Sure, you could lie in RP as long as it doesn't carry over to RL, though if you weren't being honest I think it would be better off to specify this to your RP partner, either by suggesting it in RP or telling them OOC. Just know that lying has its consequences, even in a fictional sense. 
Lying to an RP partner about something like 'I love you' could turn out pretty bad in the case that they may express their feelings through RP, something I've encountered before.