You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

...hands you a bucket of sand. You're gonna need it.

...shows her the two he's already carrying.

Thanks. I learned years ago I'm quite flammable, and always dropping sparks into dry tinder. I used to keep water handy, but then all the Flashdancers took it....

• Like 3
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's often added to profiles as a polite way of saying "no I will not voice sex you, nor will you get real life pics off me, stop asking for all this info you creep". RL/SL separation isn't a b

I know it's hopeless, but I wish more people were honest and upfront about what significance they give sexual and romantic activity in SL, both with themselves and with prospective partners.  

I don't want to sound rude...but this doesn't sound like you understand what roleplay is or have some things completely mixed up, which would suprise me, judgeing by the fact that your account must be

Posted Images

On 10/3/2018 at 5:33 PM, Bree Giffen said:

If someone chooses to not perform and to live a truthful real life on that stage they are in the wrong. They don't have any right to judge or call the actors liars.

So you say in Second Life everyone is forced to play a made up character with at best a made up real life character aswell, if the first strives too much into the area of "can't exist in the physical world"? And therefore everyone who does not follow that rule is wrong? Are people wrong who feel hurt, when others treat them badly here? Are people wrong, when they fall in love? Because thats what I get from those two sentences.

What is a lie? A lie is a false statement made with the intention to delude someone.

If I find myself in a situation, where I tell someone about myself and I know what I'm saying isn't the truth and I also know that the other person will mistake it for the truth (and I want that to happen), then I'm lying. Don't sugar coat it. Or is catfishing just an elaborate form of acting and therefore some sort of entertainment or art and we shouldn't judge the actor/artist for their actions? Is a golddigger or con artists an actor, that shouldn't be judged? They too are just "playing a role".

The difference between proper roleplay, acting on a stage or in a movie and simply being in SL is the context.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Are you honestly saying you believe I'm "in the wrong" because I don't act inworld?

I really hope I'm misunderstanding something here. My avatar is currently running around in full pirate regalia with an octopus on her head but the conversations I have are as much of myself as my health allows on the day. There's no acting.

If anyone's offended by that, maybe you should just block me or something because I don't have the creativity or stamina to live my SL differently these days.

No. No. That's not what I meant. If someone chats with me I would just be myself too. Non-actors would be people who are only concerned about real life in SL and expect everyone else to be like them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/8/2018 at 11:58 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

A fire extinguisher is a li'l OOC for a pirate, isn't it?

On 10/8/2018 at 11:42 AM, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Are you honestly saying you believe I'm "in the wrong" because I don't act inworld?

• Confused 1

This is the age old debate about immersion-ism vs. extension-ism.
Some people take one approach, some the other and some like to liberally mix the two.
If you are going down the latter path, its my opinion that you should be obvious about which is which over important things like feelings.

My own observations are that more people in SL seem to be extension-ist now than when I first started but possibly that is just anecdotal.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, Alyona Su said:

The question is that of immersion and projection: do you see yourself in your avatar and project yourself into that avatar or are you just the puppeteer of a fancy digital Barbie doll?

When I am in SL I AM my avatar.  I speak and act for the me that lives in SL and I am not a Barbie doll.  My emotions are real in SL though.  I would never ever make them up.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Donna Underall said:

When I am in SL I AM my avatar.  I speak and act for the me that lives in SL and I am not a Barbie doll.  My emotions are real in SL though.  I would never ever make them up.

I am the same way. So I never lie to anyone. Even if sometimes truth hurts, better a "little" pain now than a really big one later. And it WILL come, sooner or later. :)

• Like 3

If I am participating in a roleplay environment where it is understood that collectively we are weave the threads of a story together, then I am playing a fictional part and yes, my character may lie depending on what I determine to be necessary for my part in that story.  If I am not in such an environment then I may still bring small elements of roleplay into conversation for fun but I will not take the position that we are creating a story together and will essentially be my RL self.

• Like 2

If you ask me a question about something that is none of your business, and if my refusal to answer that question effectively answers it anyway, then I have every moral right to lie to you and you can bet I will, roleplay or not.

It only becomes deception if I continue to seek interaction with you based on that lie instead of avoiding you from that point forward. Since I don’t like lying, and I don’t like nosy people who put me in a position of lying to protect my privacy, it’s guaranteed I’ll ditch your prying ass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Cromulence DeGroot said:

If you ask me a question about something that is none of your business, and if my refusal to answer that question effectively answers it anyway, then I have every moral right to lie to you and you can bet I will, roleplay or not.

It only becomes deception if I continue to seek interaction with you based on that lie instead of avoiding you from that point forward. Since I don’t like lying, and I don’t like nosy people who put me in a position of lying to protect my privacy, it’s guaranteed I’ll ditch your prying ass.

yes, you need to protect the integrity of your own second life above all other considerations.

I will personally tell anyone anything they want to hear in the moment, but that might also be the last moment.

seriously nothing gets old faster than some idiot iming you and saying oooo baby what color panties are you wearing today.

• Like 1

Ah yes, this age old "debate" again ....

Not that there is much to debate: For those that have taken great pains to make their avatar look as close as - if not identical - it can to the person behind the screen (clothing style/hair style being two exceptions) then they are not acting/putting on a role/what have you.

Using an idealized portrayal of yourself? Yes, still you on the screen but it is you as you wish to be seen.

Not either of those? It doesn't matter if the text you write is coming from you or some role you've slipped into - you are no longer portraying yourself. Perhaps you are (as I do when not involved in Role Play) portraying a part of yourself (be it accurate or in some fantastical manner), perhaps you're even (as I also often do) using subtle - and often not so subtle - variations of your avatar's appearance to portray varied moods/mentalities.

Either way, people put far too much emphasis on the visual aspect of Second Life. As long as the text you write/send to others is coming from you and not some mental construct (which is what a character is - RP/Film/whatever) then you're not engaged in any form of Role Play.

Now as to those who ask the sort of questions the OP mentioned after a bit of on screen/textual intimacy in actual Role Play, I say the following: It is none of their business. Doubly so if you've never shared much Out Of Character information.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:46 AM, Phorumities said:

seriously nothing gets old faster than some idiot iming you and saying oooo baby what color panties are you wearing today.

God yes, I hate that.  No matter how many times you say it, some never ever get it and just keep asking.  

8 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

As long as the text you write/send to others is coming from you and not some mental construct (which is what a character is - RP/Film/whatever) then you're not engaged in any form of Role Play.

If Maddy sees this, we're going to have a hell of an argument at dinner tonight.

• Haha 1
On 9/30/2018 at 7:21 AM, crissy Carolina said:

I am trying to find out thoughts and feelings of others in the community about lying during RP. Is it okay? Normal? Expected? etc. As a general rule and a matter of conscience and character I believe in 100% honesty in my RL. But does SL count the same way? For example, if a character in SL tells me "i love you", do I say it back simply because I know thats what they want to hear, or do I only say it if I in fact love them? If immediately after SL sex, someone asks me, "did you ***** in RL", and I didn't,  do I say yes, because thats what they want to hear? I would just like some feedback on how others handle situations like this and possible ways to deal with them in the future.

i'm  ***** right now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.