Now what exactely is "adult"?

Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With the recent threads about alcoholic beverages flagged as adult content I started to wonder: Are there two maturity ratings in SL? One for MP and one for inworld or are we (unintentionally of course) doing stuff wrong all the time? If the ratings are the same, I would not be allowed to display any barrel, glass or bottle of beer or any tobacco in moderate sims unless behind closed doors...

If that interpretation would be true and enforced we would see the mainland change a lot.

@Linden Lab can we please get some feedback on adult but nonsexual content in moderate regions? There is an abbundance of it out there ...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

My impression is that the ratings are purely about sexual content, I interpret them largely as

Adult :  You walked into a sex club what did you expect

Mature: like your average bar with less hobo's

General: Kiddies playground what are you doing here you pervert

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Like 1

It's not the product that are flagged but the use..

I can sell and advertise sex beds in moderate,but I can't advertise places to use them in moderate..

The forums being general could be why the threads got tagged, where the market place can sell those things in moderate or adult..

I don't think there is a moderate section in the forums ,so they could have flagged them as adult because that was the only other place to put them in the forums..If they moved them anywhere..

• Like 1

General = what you might expect in a G rated movie, safe for work, safe for your kids or parents to see over your shoulder.

Moderate = what you might see in a PG rated movie, most like regular real life, nudity may be ok in public, sex is only ok in private.

Adult = what you might see in an R rated or Adult movie, RP may involve sexual or violent subjects, sex may be in public places, Not Safe for Work.

• Like 2

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

General = what you might expect in a G rated movie, safe for work, safe for your kids or parents to see over your shoulder.

Moderate = what you might see in a PG rated movie, most like regular real life, nudity may be ok in public, sex is only ok in private.

Adult = what you might see in an R rated or Adult movie, RP may involve sexual or violent subjects, sex may be in public places, Not Safe for Work.

I think this ^  is probably the closest.

The mess-up happens because the marketplace policy has to be a little different to the in-world policy, money involved. (I'm going to use ages and practices from my country in these following examples)

• Cigarettes can't be bought by people under 18, but people under 18 do openly smoke in the street, even the school yard, without getting into legal trouble.
  • Alcohol can't be bought by people under 18, but parents often let their kids drink small amounts in a controlled manner to teach them responsibility.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The forums being general could be why the threads got tagged, where the market place can sell those things in moderate or adult..

Fionalein didn't mean that a thread got flagged, but that there was a thread about some alcoholic beverages in the MP that got flagged.  They were listed as Moderate but the flagging said they had to be listed as Adult.  Hence the confusion because alcoholic items inworld are not restricted to Adult locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

The mess-up happens because the marketplace policy has to be a little different to the in-world policy, money involved. (I'm going to use ages and practices from my country in these following examples)

• Cigarettes can't be bought by people under 18, but people under 18 do openly smoke in the street, even the school yard, without getting into legal trouble.
  • Alcohol can't be bought by people under 18, but parents often let their kids drink small amounts in a controlled manner to teach them responsibility.

This might be the closest/best reason.  LL does have to follow US law and US law requires the age of 21 to buy or consume alcohol, but those under 21 are allowed to be around alcohol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Fionalein didn't mean that a thread got flagged, but that there was a thread about some alcoholic beverages in the MP that got flagged.  They were listed as Moderate but the flagging said they had to be listed as Adult.  Hence the confusion because alcoholic items inworld are not restricted to Adult locations.

I wonder if they had images of people using those things in their adds? Because I even found beer and other alcohol items in a General search on the MP. But they were stand alone items.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

Just looked at the "SECOND LIFE MARKETPLACE FEE AND LISTING POLICIES" again...

... while "Depictions of or references to alcohol or tobacco use." are moderate (and thus no problem for most mainland), "Depictions of or references to illegal drug use." are considered adult and I guess AR-able (while the problem now is smaller I still have seen enough of those on non adult mainland as well) - but as this explanation is only in "SECOND LIFE MARKETPLACE FEE AND LISTING POLICIES" and AFAIK not in the general description of maturity ratings: how should Joe Average know about them? - Then again the Lindens can do what they want.

Edited by Fionalein

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I wonder if they had images of people using those things in their adds? Because I even found beer and other alcohol items in a General search on the MP. But they were stand alone items.

That is a very good point.  Have you ever noticed that commercials for beer and other adult beverages on TV never actually show anyone drinking?  Holding a glass, yes.  Raising it up as if to take a swig, yes.  Actually drinking...never!  This is because of long-standing network censorship guidelines.  From the 50's, I think.

(And they're still in place today, when I just saw a supposedly G-rated show (The Flash) air a scene where two guys kissed.  TV is some kinda crazy.)

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That is a very good point.  Have you ever noticed that commercials for beer and other adult beverages on TV never actually show anyone drinking?  Holding a glass, yes.  Raising it up as if to take a swig, yes.  Actually drinking...never!  This is because of long-standing network censorship guidelines.  From the 50's, I think.

(And they're still in place today, when I just saw a supposedly G-rated show (The Flash) air a scene where two guys kissed.  TV is some kinda crazy.)

Beer is adult because they use (“straight”) sex to sell it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.