Private Message Spam

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Was I the only guy that accepted?  She sounded too hot to pass on, so I didn't.  I never expected it to be spam.

I have another date on Thursday.

Yes, and I'm looking forward to it big fella.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perrie Juran wrote:

Is there a way to report private message spammers? 

I got one of those 'Hi, are you lonely, send me your EMail addy and I'll send you my pictures and we can see if we click" messages today.

Of course I know I can put the user on ignore. 

Might be a good feature to have if it doesn't exist already.

Looking into this issue now :) 

Update:  If you receive a private message that is spam, like the one noted above:  Send a private message to Katy Moderator.  Please note the spam senders name and include the text or a screen shot.  It will be investigated.  Also, remember to place the spam sender on ignore after you report it to the moderator. 

Lexie Linden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Is there a way to report private message spammers? 

I got one of those 'Hi, are you lonely, send me your EMail addy and I'll send you my pictures and we can see if we click" messages today.

Of course I know I can put the user on ignore. 

Might be a good feature to have if it doesn't exist already.

Looking into this issue now
:)

Update:  If you receive a private message that is spam, like the one noted above:  Send a private message to Katy Moderator.  Please note the spam senders name and include the text or a screen shot.  It will be investigated.  Also, remember to place the spam sender on ignore after you report it to the moderator. 

If Katy Moderator is lonely, I'm single and available.  :D

but seriously speaking, thank you Lexie.

/me wonders if Katy is blonde, brunette, redhead or transgendered.

Darren Scorpio wrote:

99% of the spammers will be New Residents, so why not block "New Residents" from being able to create private messages, but can still receive messages from others?

Or would this be too rational of a solution for it to be considered by the Lab?

Thanks for the input Darren.  If private messages could work that way, only allow users to receive PM until after a certain point, we would have tried that.  :)  Not an option yet but maybe sometime in the future.

I thought Lithium let you tie stuff like that to the rank? granted as it stands right now I think you can rank every 2 posts for the basic role, which is probably unworkable, but a slight tweak there would prevent that (or at least give you a heads up that a problem account was on the rise)

Void Singer wrote:

I thought Lithium let you tie stuff like that to the rank? granted as it stands right now I think you can rank every 2 posts for the basic role, which is probably unworkable, but a slight tweak there would prevent that (or at least give you a heads up that a problem account was on the rise)

Void, yes it can be tied to a rank, but if we turn it off for Resident role and boost up the criteria for the next rank, residents may suffer more than the spammer would.  Without the PM ability mods and other residents cannot privately contact a new user if needed. Nor can the Resident reach out privately for help.  Type Resident in the User search. You will see how many this could impact.  Many!

On the other hand, my belief is that most spammers who use this spam method are forum experienced and would likely overcome any reasonable formula we put in place pretty fast. 

I am keeping my eye out for updates from Lithium on this topic and we will keep thinking on this one :)

understood, I can see how that might be a problem, I was more thinking of sub ranks, but it's probably better not to have to send them to support portal if they find they can't post or whatnot to get up to using PM's.

ah well, it was a thought, thanks for the speedy notice =)

So I logged in today and much to my surprise, I'd actually gotten a private message.

My first thought was... hey someone sent me a private message... then I the thought occurred to me... ooooo, this could be one of those spam PMs and I will finally be showered with the adoration I so desperately crave. I NEED VALIDATION!!!

Imagine my disappointment when I opened it and realized it was just Representative Linden informing me of my new "Member" rank... I was completely crushed. sad0116.gif

...Dres (Though, I guess it's better to have a member rank than a rank member)

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

So I logged in today and much to my surprise, I'd actually gotten a private message.

My first thought was...
hey someone sent me a private message
... then I the thought occurred to me...
ooooo, this could be one of those spam PMs and I will finally be showered with the adoration I so desperately crave.
I NEED VALIDATION!!!

Imagine my disappointment when I opened it and realized it was just Representative Linden informing me of my new "Member" rank... I was completely crushed.
sad0116.gif

...Dres (Though, I guess it's better to have a member rank than a rank member)

Yea...I too got promoted :smileytongue:  Not sure what I did to deserve it, but thankfully, it took away that dreadful orange pin   :smileysurprised:  :smileywink:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Kylie Jaxxon wrote

Yea...I too got promoted :smileytongue:  Not sure what I did to deserve it, but thankfully, it took away that dreadful orange pin   :smileysurprised:  :smileywink:

Oh I know... I hated the color.

...Dres

Yea...the blue matches my badge so much better :smileyhappy:

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Kylie Jaxxon wrote

Oh I know... I hated the color.

...Dres

Yea...the blue matches my badge so much better :smileyhappy:

:smileyvery-happy: It's exactly what I thought when I got the pink one! :smileytongue:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.