SL 2.6.3.227477: DNS Cannot Resolve Host Name

Isabel Maesar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone,

This morning I went to login on my Mac OSX 10.6 SL viewer 2, and saw that an update was available.  I was able to see the login screen on SL fine.  I downloaded the new version today (4/30/11, 2.6.3.227477) and got the login error: DNS could not resolve the host name.

I can see www.secondlife.com.  Firewall is not blocking.  Cleared my DNS cache in terminal.  Restarted my Mac and the router - twice.  This issue started with the new update (didn't get the error on the previous version this morning.)

Any thoughts why this version is giving me this headache?  And does anyone know how I can go back to the older version until this is resolved? (I deleted it in an attempt to resolve this issue and would need to download it.)

Thanks!
Isa :womanwink:

18 answers to this question

Thank you. I saw that article earlier when I was trying to resolve it, and have tried those things to no avail.

The puzzling thing to me is that the error didn't occur this morning on the older version - it happened after the update. Anyone else getting this error with this update, or is it only me?

Isa

There is a JIRA about this problem for Macs https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25627

Here is a fix posted by Gio Solo that might help you:

I found a temporary solution for my Mac. Now I can use Second Life Viewer 2.6.3.

I found the solution here: http://neilrobinson.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/a-fix-for-dns-errors/

Basically I had to add the following additional DNS servers to my DNS settings in Network settings under System Preferences:

If that doesn`t work for  you, you can go back to the previous version of the viewer here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers make sure you also switch off automatic updates in your preferences or it will just update you again.

• Like 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I bought a Mac for reverse-compatibility issues & got stuck on the idea of the computer being able to just do what I wanted. I guess it's too long since I've worked with a PC--I've forgotten where all my control panels are!

Thanks for the nice, straightforward directions!

I also have a similar issue. I can connect fine with any v1 viewer but trying the std 2.7.1 viewer or firestorm beta i now cannot connect to secondlife. Phoenix, imprudence and any v1 viewer is fine. This is for windows.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.