Sign in to follow this  
Isabel Maesar

SL 2.6.3.227477: DNS Cannot Resolve Host Name

Question

18 answers to this question

Thank you. I saw that article earlier when I was trying to resolve it, and have tried those things to no avail.

The puzzling thing to me is that the error didn't occur this morning on the older version - it happened after the update. Anyone else getting this error with this update, or is it only me?

Isa

I feel that I should note I just tried logging in with Phoenix Viewer with success. Could this indicate something?

Thanks all for your help and time. :)

Isa

There is a JIRA about this problem for Macs https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25627

Here is a fix posted by Gio Solo that might help you:

I found a temporary solution for my Mac. Now I can use Second Life Viewer 2.6.3.

I found the solution here: http://neilrobinson.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/a-fix-for-dns-errors/

Basically I had to add the following additional DNS servers to my DNS settings in Network settings under System Preferences:

If that doesn`t work for  you, you can go back to the previous version of the viewer here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers make sure you also switch off automatic updates in your preferences or it will just update you again.

• Like 1

Thanks so much! I didn't try adding the DNS servers, but I was able to download v 2.6.2.225998 and login successfully.

Good to know they are working on the bug. :)

Thanks again!

Isa

You're very welcome. Keep an eye on that JIRA so that if Gio's fix doesn`t work for you, you will see when LL solves the problem and you will be able to switch to the latest official viewer.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I bought a Mac for reverse-compatibility issues & got stuck on the idea of the computer being able to just do what I wanted. I guess it's too long since I've worked with a PC--I've forgotten where all my control panels are!

Thanks for the nice, straightforward directions!

I also have a similar issue. I can connect fine with any v1 viewer but trying the std 2.7.1 viewer or firestorm beta i now cannot connect to secondlife. Phoenix, imprudence and any v1 viewer is fine. This is for windows.

• Like 1

I have some problems with DNS 

Today all was okey but now in after noon  cant enter in game.Viewer writes error.And tells to sign in on site. Need help pls 
Thanks!