Whats the difference?

chaosninja7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, chaosninja7 said:

Can someone tell me the difference between Sculpting and Meshing? In the 3D

Modeling is the correct term.

In Second Life, however, the only modeling that could be done for a long time was with primitives. This is why a lot of people refer to "Land Impact" as the number of "Prims" and it has always been a concern because sims (mainland or private regions) have a limited number of "prims" allowed, based on a parcel size, etc.

To help lower "prim count" and yet be able to model more complex shapes the Lindens invented "Scultpy" shapes. This was basically a primitive Sphere that was deformed based on an image map. Though some 'Scultpy" shapes were great, others looked rather sloppy. A sculpty is still *modeled* in a 3D App, then exported as type of image map, that image is uploaded into SL and applied to a "Sculpty Shape" (Which is a sphere specifically-designed to be deformed).

In SL lexicon we often refer to these colloquially as "scultpies".

Then SL had the ability to import models directly. Even though all of SL (since the very beginning )is "mesh" (Cannot have 3D without it, right?) - it was never thought of that way (layperson users, etc.). Sculpties were called such because, at the time, it was new tech and, thus, a selling point, distinguishing the difference from primitives, and that it used fewer "prims".

Now because there are primitives ("Prims"), Sculpty shapes ("Scultpies"), and imported models ("Mesh") we use these terms to help others understand what we mean as we attempt to distinguish the three "technologies" between each other when discussing objects in-world. And since "imported mesh models" really only use "one prim" - Linden Lab has converted "number of prims" into "land impact" so they can create a score for single-piece mesh models based on their complexity (number of vertices, triangles, etc.)

Now that you know why we use these terms and what they mean, I can say my Mermaid alt uses a meshy tail and head with some sculpties for a crown and other decoration, but prim hair gives the best under and out-of-water effect. That sentence should be understandable to you in terms of describing my mermaid alt (and that is actually a true sentence!!!). :)

Oh and here's a side note that doesn't really mean anything, but good for a laugh: I've noticed that a lot of people refer to those who create stuff using built-in primitive shapes (Prims) call them "builders" and they "build things" whereas people who model in 3D apps then import those as "mesh" are "creating" and referred to as "creators". LOL I like to call anyone and everyone one to creates anything in SL a Creator, Builder, and Designer. I use those terms interchangeably based on the context of whatever it is they are creating. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.