new linden home designs and last names! and birthday gifts oh my!

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

36 minutes ago, Qwestor Janus said:

What?! All low-born residents will now have a last name just like me? Where is this Second Life going? :)

In the future, only the ones that choose to first pay for Premium membership and then pay additional for a last name will get one.  The rest of the folks will still be like now - last name of Resident.

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

I sit here and imagine all the people with painted butt cracks back on display.

What I don't understand why some (even excellent) creators make deep butt cracks to their mesh pants. OMG, it looks so wrong and unnatural! :S
Jeans don't behave like that. xD

2018-09-27_mesh-butt-crack.png.48f6288d7a38b5976e608970cc2bbbc4.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

What I don't understand why some (even excellent) creators make deep butt cracks to their mesh pants. OMG, it looks so wrong and unnatural! :S

^^ This - Most mesh pants are not any better than system layers or applier pants when it comes to the butt fit.

Well I am disappointed to hear linden will be choosing our last names by providing a list to choose from. this is where we were in the beginning. We rebelled. we hated it because with lindens limited list you could be dating your own brother. same last name. it was terrible. Id like to be able to do as I do in some other games...select my own first and last name. The whole point is to be unique. not a clone starting out the gate with someone else's last name. Not that Id mind if someone else imagines having the same last name. But lets not have 100,000 people with the same last name. plus you may not agree, but I hated Lindens options. limited and not international or culturally representative of the cultural experiences and desires of SL users.

I am "Tenly Sierra". Not "Tenly Resident" and certainly not "Tenly name-o-matic-limited-list"

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 7:21 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I would maybe choose “Poopyhead”, because it will probably pass the filters. So not being able to choose random words for last things is good IMO. Because “Poopyhead”.

this was why they had the list of last names originally. because they feared that children would choose poopy names that would offend other folks. but you can offend all you want with display names so seems to me they should not be going back to pre-packaged last names. No one missed the removal of those prepackaged names. we all asked to choose our own. thats why they gave us display names. INMHO does not make sense to take a step back into the last decade.

On 9/27/2018 at 1:20 AM, Coby Foden said:

I love my semi butt molded blueberry leggings. But I agree. I dont like my jeans up my crack like this photo. reminds me of our old painted on pants.

2 hours ago, Tenly said:

Well I am disappointed to hear linden will be choosing our last names by providing a list to choose from. this is where we were in the beginning. We rebelled. we hated it because with lindens limited list you could be dating your own brother

Who's we?  I didn't rebel or hate it, and the only thing I heard at the time was a general wailing that last names were going.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tenly said:

this was why they had the list of last names originally. because they feared that children would choose poopy names that would offend other folks. 

Not really. Those childish names could already happen with name combinations often becoming quite strong double entendre, and it can still happen with Residents too. (do a search on poop)

Due to a design choice made back in 2002 last names are stored in the database as an integer. A look up table turns Poopy 0x12FE* into Poopy Bedlam.

There would need to be quite a bigger change then the Lab are doing now if they allowed free-form names.

* I made that number up as an illustration, but it's the correct idea.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tenly said:

No one missed the removal of those prepackaged names. we all asked to choose our own.

Some of us did miss the removal of the last name list and didn't really mind picking from a list.  Many of us had a blast trying to come up with first names that when matched with one of the last names produced a funny or witty phrase in some way.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Many of us had a blast trying to come up with first names that when matched with one of the last names produced a funny or witty phrase in some way.

It was another way the creativity of the community was tickled. Some great combinations exist.

Back then, I would watch Adz Child's SLNameWatch.com waiting for the new releases then quickly jump into the list trying to make good/funny ones before they were snapped up.

I hope Adz can continue that project, or someone else pick it up.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.