Making Skin for Catwa Heads

ncontrol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

You really can't make a skin just for the head.  Well, you could...but nobody would want it.  This is because of the need to match the skin on the head to the skin on the body.

Most skin makers will make a skin for the entire classic avatar, and then offer both that and "appliers" to put the same skin on the most popular mesh bodies and heads.  Increasingly these days, skins are made ONLY for use with a mesh body/head.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:07 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

You really can't make a skin just for the head.  Well, you could...but nobody would want it.  This is because of the need to match the skin on the head to the skin on the body.

Most skin makers will make a skin for the entire classic avatar, and then offer both that and "appliers" to put the same skin on the most popular mesh bodies and heads.  Increasingly these days, skins are made ONLY for use with a mesh body/head.

So would I have to learn how to make skins then how to use appliers to make them for mesh heads and bodies? Is there a way I can learn to use appliers?

13 hours ago, ncontrol said:

So would I have to learn how to make skins then how to use appliers to make them for mesh heads and bodies? Is there a way I can learn to use appliers?

Most makers of mesh bodies and heads give away or sell for a reasonable price a "developer's kit".  Generally speaking, an applier is a small HUD that "applies" a particular texture to a mesh body or head.  You should also know that LL will soon be releasing a new capability, "bakes on mesh" that will allow us to wear clothing and skin textures made for the classic SL avatar on mesh bodies and heads.  There is already a beta version viewer available if you want to explore this.

• Like 1

Making Skins requires some talent. Making appliers is easy, just read the directions.

The directions and materials needed for both come from the makers of the bodies and heads. They provide or sell Developer Kits. 

Slink and others provide their Dev Kits for free. In general several recommend using the UV Maps (templates) for the classic avatar. I find that less than ideal. But, it can work... sort of.

Visit the developers' websites. They have information on how to get their dev kits.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.