Sam Olrich

High end PC tower, but crummy framerates

Question

As the title says, I have a pretty beefy pc tower that can run No Man's Sky and Warfram with no problems, but SL, I'm not getting smooth framerates, can someone help me please?

Specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (3192 MHz)
Memory: 16195 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 24.21.13.9793
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 397.93

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1360x705 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1200 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium (3/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2018-8-29T21:8:40 
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 48/121,826 (0.0%)
September 22 2018 11:28:49 SLT

Snapshot_001.png

Edited by Sam Olrich

6 answers to this question

Sam, we'll need some details about your system and your SL graphics settings.  Edit your post to include this information.  Easiest way is to take screenshots of your Preferences/Graphics window and the information that appears when you click Help/About.

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Sam, we'll need some details about your system and your SL graphics settings.  Edit your post to include this information.  Easiest way is to take screenshots of your Preferences/Graphics window and the information that appears when you click Help/About.

edited

Well, you are quite right about having a top drawer machine, and your graphics settings are actually quite a bit lower than it should be able to handle.  What frame rates are you getting?  SL can present highly variable performance, even to high end computers.  The number and complexity of avatars in your field of view, for example.  But maybe the biggest factor is that all the content in SL is user-created, and is almost never optimized for performance, unlike professionally-created games.  I have a computer almost as powerful as yours and I get anything from 100fps in areas with almost no textures to render (a sky platform) to 11 fps at ground level in some regions.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Possibly a network issue, despite being able to play other games just fine.  SL uses the network back and forth constantly, unlike other games where most of the content is already installed on your computer, and thus network issues are more problematic here.

See this for some info on checking:  http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

We REALLY need to know what you mean by not getting smooth frame rates...

Some Lindens think 10FPS is playable/usable. There are some combat games in SL where 10FPS is considered decent. 

The technical side of SL could be said to be designed to operate at 44-45 FPS. I think that is more of the minium it is designed for. So, if you are getting less, except in crowded regions, then something isn't right.

I suggest you look through your NVIDIA settings. See: http://blog.nalates.net/2016/06/05/nvidia-settings-2016/ These are a couple of years old, but they are still good.

Your NVIDIA driver is a bit old. An update might help, but probably make no difference. But, there are NVIDIA settings that make a difference. So, read the article and setup an SL viewer profile.

You could try bumping your bandwidth setting to 1500 instead of 1200.

I run on an i5-6600k @ 4.1GHz w/32GB and a GTX 1060 6GB. At Moorsby with 10 avatars on a 1920x1080 screen, Sun-Moon-Proj + ALM on ...I get 70 FPS...

You can get the free GPU-Z tool and see how your computer is performing.  At the above location my GPU is at 55+/-%, GPU fan 30%, and CPU @  70-80%

You may want to check temperatures too. Get CPUID HWMonitor (free).

These tools give you a quick check on your hardware. If the hardware numbers are good, you can concentrate on software.

"i7 8700"

"gtx 1050ti"

this causes me physical pain

Try 3 things, turn on ALM, with some systems that have such a hardware inbalance like this, offloading more of the graphical strain to the CPU can actually be beneficial. Secondly push your network bandwidth limit to the max on the slider, its 2018 not 2003, you can probably push 10mbps into SL if you have a decent internet connection. Finallly, record your FPS with the ingame fps counter and post the little graph it makes here. Stuttering happens with SL, its a terribly optimized game. But you should be seeing around 40-50fps in the majority of places especially with those lower settings.

Also buy a better GPU, youve got the PC equivalent of a ferrari with a jettas engine in it. All flair and potential but the GPU is holding it back hardcore.

• Like 1