Buy Lindens in local currency

Nefari Nandahar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all.

First...the layout of this forum is very hard to navigate in, so if there is a thread about this topic that I cant find, I am very sorry.

Well the news from FJ Linden that it will be possible to buy Lindens in your local currency, and that will make it cheaper isnt true. To buy Linden dollars in your local currency, in my case swdish kronas, instead of paying it in  US dollars, will make it more expensive for you.

Example from yesterday: 3000 Linden dollars when paying in local currency = 76,9 kronas

3000 Linden dollars when paying in US dollars = 75,7 kronas

The reason it gets like this is that your bank that has issued your creditcard gives you a better exchange rate.

The same goes for all the time you use your credit card abroad in a store. When they ask if you want the sum withdrawn from your account in your own currency, or the one they use in that country you are shopping in, always say that you want the sum withdrawn in the currency that is the currency in the country you are visiting.

Take it as the tip of the day...:)

Oh...and if the same goes for Paypal, I dont know really....have never used it.

Bye

Nefari

I just read the blog post by FJ. I agree with you; I doubt it is necessarily going to be cheaper to buy Lindens in the local currency. In some cases it probably will, but not in all cases. Not really a big difference to how it has been up to now.

It has been an issue, since the last changes, that non us residents could not use PayPal as a payment method. After reading the blog post, I'm still not sure whether it will be available or not when the new changes are in effect. He mentioned PayPal once, but just in passing and not in a conclusive way, I thought. I hope it will be an option going forward.

[EDIT] Read quickly through the wiki article linked to in the blogpost. Seems PayPal is not available in the beta, but they are working on enabling it as a payment option.

- Luc -

I was so happy when i found out they're trying to improve buying linden dollars from outside the USA. I hope they also make it easier for people to change their linden dollars into local currency. I'm in Chile... so exchanging my linden dollars i earn at my store into chilean pesos could be a lot easier (right now i have no way of getting them transformed into chilean pesos). Imagine, i could probably buy one or two packs of cookies with those profits!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.