Sign in to follow this  
justinwzig1

Entire Learning Island & Tutorial Graphics Broken: New User

Hi there!

I'm a new user (well, partially returning, I made an account in 2013 and was one of the many who logged in once, but I've since rediscovered the platform...) and my SL Viewer installation seems to be.....horribly bugged. The entire learning island looks like this:

image.thumb.png.754aae8a18088e708976e8f6eaa5a435.pngCapture2.thumb.JPG.f12fd94910cb831cadafcc73d52e6043.JPG

and that tutorial graphic (or what I'm assuming is supposed to be a tutorial) won't go away, even when I travel outside learning island. I've tried reinstalling the viewer and turning my graphics up/down.

I'm running 64bit Windows 10, Nvidia GTX 980ti, Intel 6600k

Any ideas?

You have a current SL viewer, I assume.

Try clearing the viewer's cache. See https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_cache_clear

In case you somehow have cache info from 2013 still around.

I'm hopeless at coming up with help for stuff like that, but I'll offer what I've got.

You said that you'd reinstalled the viewer, and I'm wondering if it was reinstalled from an old download. If it were me, I'd uninstall and remove everything about Second Life from my computer. And then I'd start from scratch by downloading and installing the viewer.

64 bit Windows 10 is fine for SL. It's what many of us have. What I'm clueless about is graphics cards, but there are people here who know a lot about them and, hopefully one or two will offer information.

Edited by Phil Deakins

That graphics card is fine for SL -- quite nice, actually, as is the CPU (a fast Skylake i5).

There certainly seems to be some object cache corruption here (slightly different from texture cache, but it doesn't matter if you just delete all the cache files manually -- the locations of which depend on the specific viewer you're using, so if you're not using Firestorm -- as in animat's suggestion -- you'll need to track down the files).

The still-attached tutorial HUD is strange because it should be scripted to detach itself when outside the island. (This is complicated, too; normal temp-attached HUDs are detached by the system when you leave the region, but the Linden Experiences are special, so this presumably would be something the HUD's own scripts should do.) Anyway, however it got stuck, you should be able to right-click it and detach it, if you're outside the region where it was attached.

Assuming we're all correct in assessing this to be a cache corruption problem, you may want to keep an eye on "dropped packets" statistics for your network connection to the SL services. I find that when there's a glitch in my network that increases dropped packets my cache is more apt to get corrupted.

Finally, if we're all wrong about cache corruption, I guess the next thing I'd check is whether there might be a driver update for that graphics card.