Graphics problem help!

Gameshowfan90

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Didn't know i had to start and new topic accidently posted this in another persons question but starting over here. On monday when i got home from work i had to install an auto update for SL Viewer and after it was done and i logged in the graphics were all messed up and stuff was not rezzing right,  I recently  read on the forum there was a loop with people who had Intel Graphics HD Card I'm wondering if this could be the cause? my graphics load fine in Firestorm but it seems to lag my computer a bit more and it takes a little longer for everything to fully load on FS  below is my information 

Second Life Release 5.1.8.518593 (64bit)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz (2399.98 MHz)
Memory: 8083 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 23.20.16.4973
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0 - Build 23.20.16.4973

Window size: 1366x713
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 3 / 7
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: September 19 2018 21:47:20

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
September 19 2018 21:48:09

graphics2.png

graphics.png

14 answers to this question

Unfortunately, your Intel HD Graphics 520 is very low powered.  I'm surprised it runs SL at all!

Try turning off the Advanced Lighting Model in Preferences/Graphics.  Also turn off shadows and reflections, if those are enabled.  Reduce your draw distance to 64m.

If your computer is a desktop type, consider purchasing a stand-alone graphics card for it.  If you aren't computer-savvy, take it to your local computer guru to get help in selecting one and getting it installed.

NOTE:  Some computers already have a better graphics card in them, but switch between the card and the built in Intel graphics to save power,  depending on the application in use.  Check to see if you have such a machine.  If you do, follow your users manual instructions for telling it to use the higher performing graphics for SL.

Your image looks like HttpPipelining is blowing up.

Firstly try a cache clear, which may be enough to fix it.
If pipelining blows up you end up with corrupted textures in cache & those will remain until you purge them.
Preferences -> Advanced -> "Clear cache" button.
Then relog - your cache will be cleared when the viewer launches.

If that doesn't fix the problem, please come back. You may need to disable HttpPipelining.

Ref: BUG-202968 - [Alex Ivy] Pipelining still blows up frequently resulting in corrupted textures & mesh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If pipelining blows up you end up with corrupted textures in cache & those will remain until you purge them.
Preferences -> Advanced -> "Clear cache" button.
Then relog - your cache will be cleared when the viewer launches.

If that doesn't fix the problem, please come back. You may need to disable HttpPipelining.

Ref: BUG-202968 - [Alex Ivy] Pipelining still blows up frequently resulting in corrupted textures & mesh

I'm going to try this and see if it works thanks for your helpful information!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gameshowfan90 said:

@Whirly Fizzle Hello so i figured a few things out i was able to disable Httppipeline and the rainbow gunk colors are all gone but now some places are slow rezzing or some spots just stay completely grey and some avatars are grey as well.

Unfortunately you will have slower mesh & texture fetching with HttpPipelining disabled, but it shouldn't be that bad.

If you go to a location & wait for all the textures to load & then relog to that location, do the textures load quickly or remain grey for a long time, even though they should be loading from cache?

Which antivirus software are you using?
Certain antivirus software is incompatible with pipelining. Also certain antivirus software will really slow down the reading of textures from cache unless you whitelist the viewers cache folder in your antivirus software.

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Unfortunately you will have slower mesh & texture fetching with HttpPipelining disabled, but it shouldn't be that bad.

If you go to a location & wait for all the textures to load & then relog to that location, do the textures load quickly or remain grey for a long time, even though they should be loading from cache?

Which antivirus software are you using?
Certain antivirus software is incompatible with pipelining. Also certain antivirus software will really slow down the reading of textures from cache unless you whitelist the viewers cache folder in your antivirus software.

I do notice a quicker load in graphics like you said after coming back to a land. I Have norton antivirus.

With your HD graphics the system has to devote system memory for video use. That can be adjusted. It's been too long since I played with HD Graphics settings to remember how.

8GB is decent for system memory when you have a dedicated video card with another 1 or 2 GB of video ram. If your machine will accept more, you may want to add more memory.

• Like 1

On 21 September 2018 at 4:08 AM, Gameshowfan90 said:

Hello so i figured a few things out i was able to disable Httppipeline and the rainbow gunk colors are all gone but now some places are slow rezzing or some spots just stay completely grey and some avatars are grey as well.

Yeah, well... Partly that will be the change mentioned and partly because...

On 20 September 2018 at 7:11 AM, Gameshowfan90 said:

Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s

That is almost certainly TOO DAMN HIGH...

Bandwidth is NOT how fast your viewer downloads mesh and texturtes, it's the amount of bandwidth used for viewer/server handshaking etc., and setting it too high slows down everything else, basically your viewers too busy chatting about the weather and last nights TV with the server to bother downloading textures and rezzing things promptly.

LOWER the viewer bandwidth value, try, oh, 750 say, and see how it goes, too low, 50, and the server forgets you are logged in, too high and theres too much viewer/server gossip, I believe Firestorm recommends 500 -1500 as a range.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Bandwidth is NOT how fast your viewer downloads mesh and texturtes, it's the amount of bandwidth used for viewer/server handshaking etc., and setting it too high slows down everything else, basically your viewers too busy chatting about the weather and last nights TV with the server to bother downloading textures and rezzing things promptly.

LOWER the viewer bandwidth value, try, oh, 750 say, and see how it goes, too low, 50, and the server forgets you are logged in, too high and theres too much viewer/server gossip, I believe Firestorm recommends 500 -1500 as a range.

I lowered it down to 1000 thanks for pointing this out because i never really had payed attention to what my amount was 

On 9/20/2018 at 12:01 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

@Gameshowfan90 basically just that, thats also likely going to fix the slow loading/gray textures and objects you're seeing now, since you just changed a way content is being downloaded and saved, clearing the cache out again should fix it. Note that it will take some time for everything to be downloaded and cached again, once the content is saved on your laptop it will load quicker again though.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:27 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Unfortunately, your Intel HD Graphics 520 is very low powered.  I'm surprised it runs SL at all!

Try turning off the Advanced Lighting Model in Preferences/Graphics.  Also turn off shadows and reflections, if those are enabled.  Reduce your draw distance to 64m.

If your computer is a desktop type, consider purchasing a stand-alone graphics card for it.  If you aren't computer-savvy, take it to your local computer guru to get help in selecting one and getting it installed.

NOTE:  Some computers already have a better graphics card in them, but switch between the card and the built in Intel graphics to save power,  depending on the application in use.  Check to see if you have such a machine.  If you do, follow your users manual instructions for telling it to use the higher performing graphics for SL.

1) HD 520 is perfectly capable of SL, HD 620 performs very well around medium settings in 1080p to get 30-40fps in places with lots of people around, i used a machine with HD620 for a couple of months without issue, 520 isnt much different. On a desktop GPU comparison scale, its somewhere between an 8800 GTX and a GT 730 performance wise. 

2) ALM is CPU bound, it would be a better option to leave ALM on to keep more load on the CPU rather than the iGPU, It would likely benefit framerate very little from my own personal experience. Same with basic shaders. ALM isnt going to affect corrupted textures much though.

3) Thats an i5 6200u, a mobile only BGA processor.

23 hours ago, Klytyna said:

*sniff*
Smells like Surge and POGS in here? Is it 2003 again? The viewer bandwidth setting is a legacy feature that exists solely because of a time when people usually had less than 1mbps download speeds, there is no reason in 2018 to leave that slider anywhere other than the max it will go unless you have a network speed up/down of less than 15/15mbps. It was only originally there because unregulated SL would happily eat up 2-3mbps of download/upload speed when most people only had 2-3mbps to work with, meaning multitasking was out the question when playing SL. Nowadays there is no reason for that at all because you've more than likely got the network bandwidth to play SL and do many other things at the same time. Leaving it high doesnt mean the viewer is going to be communicating with the server more than it normally would, it just means its going to be slightly faster about doing it since it can push and pull more data at once.

This is a serious problem on these forums and i bring this up a lot, there are a lot of oldschool users here who follow oldschool tech. Its just not the case anymore, SL is an OLD game and has its quirks from the early 2000's but most of them dont relate to anything at all in 2018. Like the large amount of people who still refer to AMD gpus as ATI gpus and think they just dont work with SL at all.

1 hour ago, cykarushb said:

@Gameshowfan90...there are a lot of oldschool users here who follow oldschool tech. Its just not the case anymore, SL is an OLD game and has its quirks from the early 2000's but most of them dont relate to anything at all in 2018. Like the large amount of people who still refer to AMD gpus as ATI gpus and think they just dont work with SL at all.

/me brandishes her cane at you!  "Hey, you whippersnapper!  Git offa my petunias!"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.