SLUniverse is Closing

mewthemocha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:05 PM, NevaehHeartstrings said:

It would be my hope now that the thousands of former residents of Giggles Beach...All The residents who were group stalked, bullied & harassed on the mainland's in 'The Raids'...All The hundreds of residents who were stalked while being labeled publicly as pedophiles/child molesters because someone had an axe to grind....All The residents evicted from private islands because of the stalkers, self appointed judges who made up evidence, lied & framed them..... May they all find closure with comfort in the demise of SLU.. for the ruthlessness done against them, against all the communities forced out, wayback 2 or 3 years ago....may they return back home to SL one day to the friends & family who miss them so very much!.

GB closed due to the owner shutting it down. They decided that rebranding from it's pedo hookup past wasn't worth the effort. As for raids.. well I've been there since 2011 and haven't been on one raid yet. Unless you count ARs for RedZone. That I'll gladly cop to.

Last, I hate to burst your bubble of schadenfreude, but SLU needed to close because of having a database of nearly 2.5 MILLION posts. It had performance issues due to its sheer size. It's rebranding, not closing. The new version will be the third incarnation. It may not be your cup of tea, but viva la difference.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Ana Stubbs said:

I'm glad to see that it will be archived, I still refer back to posts in the scripting forum from time to time.

Better copy the interesting stuff as rebrands have always had the chance of killing a web existance - if the new incarnation goes offline due to decline - so does the archive.

• Confused 1

On 9/20/2018 at 6:06 PM, Shansi Kenin said:

well not to be critical'? this section of the forum is really only about 2ndlife 'not other grids or promoting them

There are a good number of us that post there and still use SL. The new Forum will still have SL and Sansar sections, so it is still relevant to this forum. From what I understand, Cris is working on seeing if things like the scripting subsection can be moved over to the new digs. In any case the archive will be available.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Didn't you know cake is honourary member of the tautology club, what makes them a specially hounoured member of the tautology club...

You mean that quote wasn’t an Official quote from the official Sansar TOS? Maybe also member of Tauntaun club. They officially play with offal, and it’s awful. 

119FAF41-2A8F-4BC6-9F42-3529C03165AF.png

• Like 1

The new site is already up, running, busy as usual. Both this forum and SLau- now VV have their perks. Evidently SLU has stricter moderation and a different culture as per the trumping in this thread,  but I don't think the admin has time for any wild conspiracy/"leftist sycophant" activities especially with a new forum software to unpack! I wish them well.

I don't like Sansar because there is does not focused to character creation. A real breakthrough would have been if the vanilla avatar of SL had been improve. Then as there is a mesh you can change hairstyle and shape of the clothes and shoes is really cool.  And physics of hair.  Yes, the first SL concept is much better.

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, eretyd said:

I don't like Sansar because there is does not focused to character creation. A real breakthrough would have been if the vanilla avatar of SL had been improve. Then as there is a mesh you can change hairstyle and shape of the clothes and shoes is really cool.  And physics of hair.  Yes, the first SL concept is much better.

Some people mentioned Sansar in passing, but that's not the topic, so people are confused :) 

On 9/22/2018 at 10:37 PM, Fionalein said:

Better copy the interesting stuff as rebrands have always had the chance of killing a web existance - if the new incarnation goes offline due to decline - so does the archive.

Cris the site owner is moving the board to a hosting service

he was hosting SLU on his own hardware and his issues were mainly, the size of the SLU board. 2.5 million posts, the cost of own hardware hosting relative to a hosting service. And the Bulletin software was beginning to struggle. So he decided to move off his own hardware, choose another software,  and to not be as SL-centric in the past. So rebrand. Cris has said that he will continue to host the SLU archive on his own hardware until he gets time to port it all to the hosting service

• Like 5

On 9/21/2018 at 5:03 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Geeze, Conifer...have you been paying attention at all?  Bento, animesh, land price cuts, Experiences...we've been having quite a lot of new developments, and more that have been officially announced.

Ah, but I meant developments in virtual worlds in general.  Like HiPiHi, Blue Mars etc., which came and went, probably because they weren't as good as SL.  I know there's lots of stuff happened in SL itself.  Similarly OpenSim and its spin-offs had their flurry of attention, which has declined of late.

I also know there's Sansar and Hi Fidelity, but they're still just places you can try out - I've tried them and they are good but the experience is still very limited. There's also a bit of hype about Sinespace, which I also tried briefly.  Apart from seeming to be lag-free, it didn't look as good as SL. 

Edited by Conifer Dada

It's early days yet, but things seem to be settling down quite well at the new virtualverse.one.     Most of the old SLU regulars are there, and doubtless more will follow in the coming days and weeks, as they discover the change.

As has been said before, Cristiano apparently discovered that the sheer size of the SLU archives was causing serious performance problems so he decided to bite the bullet and move to a new domain with much more modern forum software.    He's taking the opportunity to rebalance the forum's emphasis rather than rebrand, I think, simply to reflect the fact that people now have Sansar, other virtual worlds and MMOs and games they want to talk about, and not just SL.     Nothing much seems to have changed so far -- people are posting about the same things, but the forums and subforums in which they are posting are organised rather differently.

I'm very pleased to see that three of the most useful scripting tutorials (Grandma Bates' two introductory tutorials on rotations and Chalice Yao's explanation how to make an object face another object) have already been reposted in the new Scripting Tutorials section, and doubtless others will follow as their authors get round to it.

I have to say I've never really understood the reputation SLU has in some quarters -- I've always found it a friendly enough place, though if a fight does start, Cristiano doesn't usually step in to moderate things as readily as do the mods here.  I enjoy both this forum and SLU, and I'm sure I'll enjoy virtualverse, too.   I'd encourage everyone to take a look at it, at least.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 5

On 9/20/2018 at 2:10 AM, mewthemocha said:

SLUniverse, the biggest private fan site dedicated to our world is closing up shop, they are not going away, they are just creating a new forum devoted to all virtual worlds instead.

(Unable to link but google search is your friend)

th.jpg

Oh, dear, what other virtual worlds did they infect?

On 9/20/2018 at 9:29 AM, Luna Bliss said:

If your success in any forum depends on forming a small clique of fellow members who have your back no matter what, wouldn't you be sycophants to each other though, similar to the "leftist sycophants" you described?

Nobody should ever have another's back no matter what, in my book. Connection to others is great, but 'truth' is more important. In fact, if you don't have 'truth' you can't really have connection.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.