SLUniverse is Closing

mewthemocha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There were some good people over there.

Most of their forums were dead for a long time though. I did like reading it though, it tended to be more on the straight up side. If someone was bs’ing they’d tend to get called out.

Message boards in general have been dying out in favor of social media sites and *shudder* reddit. So can’t say it’s surprising.

• Like 2

I posted there a long time ago, but got bored. I think because it was so US-centric, while I feel here you have far more people from all over the world.

But janetosilio is right, I've seen quite a couple of forums/message boards die before in the last 10 years.

• Like 3

Hypergrid Business said they were shutting down a few months back. "It’s increasingly looking like the whole SL-OpenSim ecosystem has hit a dead end. It will probably continue to exist as a niche platform for its half million active monthly users, shrinking slightly each year until it’s just a nostalgia thing, like text-based adventure games or manual typewriters."

Some new articles still appear there, but they're mostly press releases.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, animats said:

Hypergrid Business said they were shutting down a few months back. "It’s increasingly looking like the whole SL-OpenSim ecosystem has hit a dead end. It will probably continue to exist as a niche platform for its half million active monthly users, shrinking slightly each year until it’s just a nostalgia thing, like text-based adventure games or manual typewriters."

Some new articles still appear there, but they're mostly press releases.

we got it, the end is nigh, why didn't you move on then yet?

I read SLU often and I even post quite a bit (for me), although I haven't been there for a couple days and thus this is a surprise to me. I like it, and I hope the 'revised' version doesn't stir things up all that much. I doubt it will, as long as Cris is still in charge. I've gotten in a couple of spats over there and managed to survive them without too much burn damage.

I like this forum very much also. Compared to SLU it might be a little bland, I suppose, but I have a lot of fun here. I post here more than there, by a considerable margin.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
Toulouse-LauTrec
  • Like 4

It would be my hope now that the thousands of former residents of Giggles Beach...All The residents who were group stalked, bullied & harassed on the mainland's in 'The Raids'...All The hundreds of residents who were stalked while being labeled publicly as pedophiles/child molesters because someone had an axe to grind....All The residents evicted from private islands because of the stalkers, self appointed judges who made up evidence, lied & framed them..... May they all find closure with comfort in the demise of SLU.. for the ruthlessness done against them, against all the communities forced out, wayback 2 or 3 years ago....may they return back home to SL one day to the friends & family who miss them so very much!.

36387b784f509f2f101379cb935f7610.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

@NevaehHeartstrings As you say in your inworld profile "I nolonger use secondlife with it uninstalled on my PC... people who just *****, moan & complain all day long here over the littlest things! ..the fun left this place years ago along with most of the fun people" what are you doing in a Second LIfe community forum?  Your past grievance, if it relates to SLU, needs to be taken up with them.

p.s. this is not an invitation for you to say more about the grievance.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The topic is the closing of an old site and the opening of a new site to replace it and expand its reach to other grids.  It is not about your grievance, however tragic it may have been.  There really is no way to take up that subject without derailing the topic and involving accusations hither and thither which will get this topic locked sharpish.

[This was a reply to the posting above, which was subsequently edited out]

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Clarification.
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

The topic is the closing of an old site and the opening of a new site to replace it and expand its reach to other grids.

well not to be critical'? this section of the forum is really only about 2ndlife 'not other grids or promoting them

• Haha 1

I have definitely seen some of the toxicity, but there's also been some really interesting threads which kept me reading page after page. I really enjoyed seeing how a topic being discussed on both forums could garner very different perspectives. It was also at one time a great resource for creators to gain some insight into the DMCA process.

I think that the it was a good example of how less moderation can be both a blessing and a curse.

• Like 3

Uhh....GB peeps earned those badges of dishonor, white knighting for them, on LL run forums, on any topic but def on this one, is a very, very bad idea ;)

That said....back to OP

I've really only read at SLU, and I've founds loads of info, even more laughs, lots of "wtf" moments, some side eyeing and eye rolling(never, ever ask me to roll my eyes at you, I can guarantee it'll creep you out..just saying...my eye does very non-human things all by itself)..well, all kinds of things really. But as of late, it's been rather blah, and I only say that as a casual reader with literally no horse in that race (not a knock on the posters or the forum, in other words, lol)

I still prefer these ones, and the prior incarnations of such (even the xstreet ones, lol) for the vast majority of my needs, even during times when I pretty much just read. 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 3

I've belonged to SLU for quite a long time.  I used to post occasionally but not at all recently.  I prefer this forum.  However SLU was good for information on new developments in virtual worlds in general (in the days when there were new developments!). 

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

I've belonged to SLU for quite a long time.  I used to post occasionally but not at all recently.  I prefer this forum.  However SLU was good for information on new developments in virtual worlds in general (in the days when there were new developments!). 

Geeze, Conifer...have you been paying attention at all?  Bento, animesh, land price cuts, Experiences...we've been having quite a lot of new developments, and more that have been officially announced.

• Like 3

Never used however just my thoughts is good and bad everywhere; I been in another Virtual World which @Ceka Cianci likely to know me in passing from the forums over there in passing (as seren should be small hint; lol) and that can be just as toxic as well as positive however I tend to ignore those attack me though will admit in previously mentioned I did defend myself against someone who decided to go on attack.

I've never found much use for the SLU forums except for the Scripting forum, which I monitor all the time and have posted to for years.  Some professional scripters post there who never post here (or who left here quite a while ago). I go back and look at archived threads frequently.  As for moderation .... I don't come to a forum to insult people or to be insulted, and I am turned off quickly by pointless drama. The level of moderation here suits me fine.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.