SLUniverse is Closing

mewthemocha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I first joined SLU years ago under a different user name, but after making a forum faux-pas early on, in other words, I had the audacity as a noob to hold an opinion which differed from the clique. I was forever tarnished in their eyes and just lurked occasionally from that point onward. There is almost zero control over there (no moderators, just the owner/admin) and many think they own the place due to their longevity, the sucking-up and fawning towards the owner is embarrassing.

I then joined here not so long ago, can't remember my join date, but it is so much nicer here and the people so much friendlier and more helpful. Although a few minor ding-dongs occur here now and then it is very tranquil compared to that other place. No doubt there is cross-over of certain users between these fora and certain gobhorns over there act more civilised over here under a different user name, incognito from their peers on SLU. That's assuming they lower themselves to come here.

The old clique at SLU will no doubt relocate to the new diluted forum en mass, so it will be no different in terms of enjoyment. I shall chuckle if all their stats and awards are reset to zero, but I doubt that'd happen.

A place I haven't given any thought to for a long time and shall now resume.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

I first joined SLU years ago under a different user name, but after making a forum faux-pas early on, in other words, I had the audacity as a noob to hold an opinion which differed from the clique. I was forever tarnished in their eyes and just lurked occasionally from that point onward.

Same story. It's a very harsh forum.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hmm, lets see here ....

Official Linden Lab Forum: Moderate (sometimes rather Heavy Handed) moderation and users forced to be "nice" to everyone.

SLU: Light Moderation wherein the nastiest of the users rather quickly find themselves Ignored by most, where those who show certain patterns are actually dealt with.

SC MK. II: Almost no Moderation, users free to say (almost) whatever they please and where the bar for Moderator or Administrator action is actually pretty high.

Each of the three above have their good points but point blank: Outside of here you'd best have a somewhat thick skin on you.

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

I first joined SLU years ago under a different user name, but after making a forum faux-pas early on, in other words, I had the audacity as a noob to hold an opinion which differed from the clique. I was forever tarnished in their eyes and just lurked occasionally from that point onward. There is almost zero control over there (no moderators, just the owner/admin) and many think they own the place due to their longevity, the sucking-up and fawning towards the owner is embarrassing.

Agreed. That place is an echo chamber with many users suffering from a severe case of hive mind as well as many users perpetually stuck in "the good old days of SL" mentality, utterly refusing to accept what SL has evolved into thus far.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

I then joined here not so long ago, can't remember my join date, but it is so much nicer here and the people so much friendlier and more helpful. Although a few minor ding-dongs occur here now and then it is very tranquil compared to that other place. No doubt there is cross-over of certain users between these fora and certain gobhorns over there act more civilised over here under a different user name, incognito from their peers on SLU. That's assuming they lower themselves to come here.

The old clique at SLU will no doubt relocate to the new diluted forum en mass, so it will be no different in terms of enjoyment. I shall chuckle if all their stats and awards are reset to zero, but I doubt that'd happen.

I recognise a few SLU posters over here (including myself -- I actually came from SLU to here), using the same forum name. I didn't *lower* myself to come over here -- I actually used to be active on the official forums years ago. As active as I ever am on forums, anyway, which isn't much. Then I left for SC and SLU when this place became somewhat toxic, although I'd be hard-pressed to remember the specifics.

I came back here recently after finding an answer to a mesh question. I then read the current threads and it seemed a lot less hostile than what I remembered.

I've been on SC, then on both SC and SLU, and I've never had any issue on either. Never felt attacked or trolled. On the contrary, I've made long-lasting friendships both in SL and in RL -- the same type of friendships that can be made over here, with the forum cartel, the daily threads, etc. Granted, I'm not confrontational, but some others on SLU are, and they disagree for pages and pages (so much for a hive mind, LOL). Same as here. You see threads where people disagree -- there's a couple of active ones at the moment -- and that's fine.

As for the stats and awards, frankly, I don't give a flying toss if they're lost, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of others won't either. The awards are super-silly and meant to be that way -- just a bit of fun. We just want not to lose a community that's years old now. I suspect people who've posted here for years would miss this place just as much if the official forums were closed, and would jump at the chance of keeping the community together on another forum.

So, basically, my experience of SLU is very different than yours. I know forums tend to diss each other -- SC used to diss the official forums and SLU, SLU dissed both others, and the official forums did the same for SC and SLU, and I find this very silly, because all three forums are actually quite good.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

This place ( SL forums) has as many leftist sycophants as that other one, so yes give me the free for all of the other place, at least I don't have to worry about an in world suspension over there.

Edited by Phorumities
took out a few words, added a couple
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

SC MK. II: Almost no Moderation, users free to say (almost) whatever they please and where the bar for Moderator or Administrator action is actually pretty high.

Forgive me for being dense, its very early and the coffee isnt done.. What is SC MK II?

I would agree that the SLU is a much much wilder place. I was attacked several times there for defending my opinion on something SL related that was popular her but considered evil there. I dont remember exactly what it was now.. 

Also. 

ding-dongs occur here now and then

for your viewing pleasure, and a snack...

Ding_dongs.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Hmm, lets see here ....

Official Linden Lab Forum: Moderate (sometimes rather Heavy Handed) moderation and users forced to be "nice" to everyone.

SLU: Light Moderation wherein the nastiest of the users rather quickly find themselves Ignored by most, where those who show certain patterns are actually dealt with.

Each of the three above have their good points but point blank: Outside of here you'd best have a somewhat thick skin on you.

My favorite forum of all times was the Yahoo News forums right before they were shut down. There was absolutely zero moderation.People could post the nastiest most vile posts about other members and nothing was done.

I find your success in any forum depends on forming a small clique of fellow members who have your back no matter what.

I can't remember the last time I was over there..

I think it was when the vape thread was going..

No way can I remember when I first signed up.. I do remember some really heavy threads there though..hehehe

There was a lot of really good information there..

Oh and I remember when the whole red zone thing was going on and grouping up with some people there to make,the pink hand..hehehe

Pink hand was an SL informative group Helping people to be well informed about security in SL..

We all had our own pink outfits and took profile pics and group pic..it was a fun group of people..

this was mine.. hehehehe

6212224870_6b43073f51_b.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Phorumities said:

This place ( SL forums) has as many leftist sycophants as that other one, so yes give me the free for all of the other place, at least I don't have to worry about an in world suspension over there.

3 hours ago, Phorumities said:

I find your success in any forum depends on forming a small clique of fellow members who have your back no matter what.

If your success in any forum depends on forming a small clique of fellow members who have your back no matter what, wouldn't you be sycophants to each other though, similar to the "leftist sycophants" you described?

Nobody should ever have another's back no matter what, in my book. Connection to others is great, but 'truth' is more important. In fact, if you don't have 'truth' you can't really have connection.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Forgive me for being dense, its very early and the coffee isnt done.. What is SC MK II?

I would agree that the SLU is a much much wilder place. I was attacked several times there for defending my opinion on something SL related that was popular her but considered evil there. I dont remember exactly what it was now.. 

Also. 

for your viewing pleasure, and a snack...

Ding_dongs.jpg

• Like 1

It's about time. I found it was more often than not a toxic cesspool of cliquish greater-than-thou types who frequented it. It's good riddance, in my mind. I'm amazingly surprised it still exists at all (well, I figured it would be a ghost town by now, at least.)

Edit - to highlight the 'more often than not' bit because it wasn't all bad and I know a lot of people read comments and take away only the parts they want (without full comprehension). LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.