What is the difference between lsl and Java and how do they get the names for there functions?

Maestro85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi iv'e completely mastered lsl programming and am trying to utilize the skills i acquired to test the waters of real programming languages like java and c++, but the only hiccup i'm having is grasping how they get the names of there functions or variables. i'm familiar with the syntax, data types, operators, and classes however nothing about java's calss method seems to hold any limitations to work with when it comes to there names. so with that in mind how the hell is this language even referencing the words your or names you type with a feature, object, or button? is the machine just built to guess what it means? anyways due this road block i'm left confused to what is a valid input or whats not cause there are no set list of functions or features to name in the classes like the lsl portal has for its coding language. can somebody help explain this better than the tutorials that seem to be too loosely implied?

Edited by Maestro85
missing characters

Ok, your question, to me, isn't very clear, and I'm not sure that this is the appropriate forum for your question.  It's been quite awhile since I've done anything in Java, but if I was going to refresh my memory, I'd start with an online search for Java syntax guides.  I'd also look for some beginning Java books from some of my favorite publishers of programming books. 

Moira's right.  This is a LSL forum.  If you have a Java question or a C++ question, you'll have to find one of their forums.  In general, though, it makes very little sense to understand one language by studying a different one. If you wanted to understand Chinese syntax, would you expect your knowledge of Swedish to help much?

Languages like Java and C++ don't come with application-specific functions (in the way that LSL comes with llGetAgentSize or llSetRegionPos).

When you program in those languages the system for which you are programming must provide you with the necessary tools to use it. For example, if you are making a program for Windows using Microsoft's Visual Studio you'll find it provides methods for manipulating on-screen windows, making reactive icons, building menus and receiving notifications of mouse clicks.

You're familiar with user-functions in LSL, right?

Writing with a "real programming language" is basically 100% user-functions with the language itself only having relatively few built-in types and functions.

There is no set naming convention across the board, only within the libraries/packages themselves (unless you're unlucky).

Applications and platforms sometimes provide you with some kind of an interface to interact with them directly (like LL did with functions in LSL), other times you have to work around that yourself or find somebody who already did and use their set of functions.

But like others have already said, you need to kind of forget what you know about LSL and get ready to learn something totally new and very different with no assumptions. Ask them for help, not us.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

On 9/20/2018 at 12:55 PM, Maestro85 said:

test the waters of real programming languages like java and c++

class object programming is a whole other paradigm from LSL

i' suggest going with C# in the first instance. Microsoft Studio Community edition. There is a ton of tutorials, extensive inline help and lots of good forums with helpful people

once you are familiar with class objects then drop down to Java and/or C++

if you do want to go with C++ syntax from the outset then can use this on the .NET framework with MS Studio instead of C#, then later on drop down to other C++ SDKs

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Maestro85 said:

hell whats even funnier is that you can use java to create custom callable linden functions on open simulator, probably could help linden labs develop those for sl easily.

Any programming language is able to do this. Java is not special. Linden Labs can "easily" add more functions into LSL. You can even do the same thing in LSL. There's just a giant continent of design choices and complexity in making sure the function you add won't ever have to be removed or changed without breaking existing content.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.