Abuse Reports - What is the Word on them?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Abuse Reports are a mystery to many SL residents. The new Governance User Group is an opportunity for residents to talk with the Lindens handling the reports.

I caught the meeting on video. I think most of the important questions were asked and answered.

The video runs an hour plus. For those in a hurry I summarized the content here: Abuse Reports: What You Wanted to Know – 2018-09

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

I found this comment interesting:  "Others are so old the logs and other evidence is gone."

Based on much of my IT experience, I just sort of assumed that logs would be kept for quite a while - at least long enough to handle abuse reports, which I wouldn't actually expect to be older than a month at the initial investigation point.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I found this comment interesting:  "Others are so old the logs and other evidence is gone."

Based on much of my IT experience, I just sort of assumed that logs would be kept for quite a while - at least long enough to handle abuse reports, which I wouldn't actually expect to be older than a month at the initial investigation point.

I can just imagine the quantity of logs...

However, I didn't watch the video yet - I only read the summary so far - so I wonder if they are too old because of backlog in getting looked at initially, too short of retention time on logs, or if it's because the person filing the AR filed it about something that had happened in the past.  

Talking with Oz Linden and other Lindens at various UG meetings, I understand the logs are not kept very long. Something like a few days to a couple of weeks. Different logs have different priorities and are kept for different periods.

I find it surprising that people wait long enough to file abuse reports that some of the logs have aged out.

Something I'd like to drop into here as someone who used to be community relations staff for another social game that recently died off. People always asked "why does the report do nothing" or other words along those same lines.

and it really comes down to the fact that there are so many reports and only so many people to deal with them, and more than 3/4 were usually false reports

false reports were a big issue because you can't just ignore them, you need to read them as well and review the evidence to see if it's a real report or not, most of the time we'd see some random gibberish in the 130 character description and then the chatlogs showed "I'm reporting you, you're gonna get banned" and going back you find that it's just one person harassing another and trying to scare them by reporting them 

when you get thousands a day and a majority of them are just garbage it makes management of the real ones difficult

and then you have user NDAs where you can't really directly talk to a user without it being a very serious problem, because sometimes you're missing evidence and you'd like to get clarification but many games with large player bases try to minimize staff/user interactions because it takes up a lot of time and ends up with a lot of people complaining about SOMETHING and you never know what

and then if you do have to take action against someone, they're not gonna like that of course and either try to make a fake appeal or they're going to complain all over the place that they were falsely banned/muted whatever

being game staff is hard, and users are why the system is slow, and they then of course have to complain about the system being slow

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I find it surprising that people wait long enough to file abuse reports that some of the logs have aged out.

I was wondering if the people were waiting a long time to file the report or if the lower priority tickets were backlogged enough that the logs were no longer around by the time LL did the initial investigation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It’s amazing they have time to check Forum AR’s!

I want to see Jagix's avatar now 'cause Kristin's is a bit scary!

/me imagines some timid griefer laying out some sim crashers and all of a sudden is a loud thump and metalic voice; "Freeze punk" as Kristin's avatar towers over them. <fade to black with terrified screams>

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

I want to see Jagix's avatar now 'cause Kristin's is a bit scary!

/me imagines some timid griefer laying out some sim crashers and all of a sudden is a loud thump and metalic voice; "Freeze punk" as Kristin's avatar towers over them. <fade to black with terrified screams>

“Now you have to ask yourself, am I feeling lucky?”

• Haha 3

On 9/20/2018 at 5:31 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I was wondering if the people were waiting a long time to file the report or if the lower priority tickets were backlogged enough that the logs were no longer around by the time LL did the initial investigation.

Kristin says they start with the older ones. So... I tend to doubt many age out because of the Linden side of things. But, there isn't any information in the video to support my doubt.

Since she also said there are 'five-ish' in the team, I suspect she calls in help if they start to get to far behind.

But, we can ask at the next meeting... ?

I went out of curiosity, and because it was after Server User Group. They seem to be trying to do a good job. Kristin's avatar is impressive.

I haven't had to deal with Governance much. Once in a while I file an abuse report because of a road obstruction or giant floating advertising sign. (There is an 8m height limit on FOR SALE signs.)  That's about it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.