I Accidentally deleted files from second life

iiLico

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok!, So I was getting this Error about Firestorm couldn't create Bridge Context. So i looked up the way to fix that, and I went with it, I went to AppData-> Roaming --> Firestorm--> Folder then deleted the files, then Emptied recycle Bin and then I uninstalled Firestorm and Reinstalled.....

I then saw then noticed something, i use to have 34k items in my inventory now i have roughly 9k almost 10k. I want to retrieve my files but I dont see any helpful tips online so far. Anyone On to help?

now I do have my last outfit I had on but ... im missing Alot of Items

4 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, iiLico said:

Ok!, So I was getting this Error about Firestorm couldn't create Bridge Context. So i looked up the way to fix that, and I went with it, I went to AppData-> Roaming --> Firestorm--> Folder then deleted the files, then Emptied recycle Bin and then I uninstalled Firestorm and Reinstalled.....

I then saw then noticed something, i use to have 34k items in my inventory now i have roughly 9k almost 10k. I want to retrieve my files but I dont see any helpful tips online so far. Anyone On to help?

with deleting FS you perhaps also deleted your cache files, that might lead to the inventory not fully showing (yet)

You could try logging on LL viewer to see if all is still there.

or... follow some directions from this page:

https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_missing_inventory

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless you deleted inventory items IN WORLD and then emptied your Trash folder, your inventory is safe.  It's kept on LL's servers, so anything you do to your local computer cannot affect it.  In fact, you can install SL on a completely different computer, log into your account, and everything will be there.  Follow Ethan's advice and you'll be fine.

• Like 2

You are new, first post, so I'll explain about inventory so you'll have an idea how things work.

What you see in your viewer is a list of what you have in inventory. The list is made up of a description and a UUID that points to an item in the assets servers. The asset servers are where all the data that describes all the stuff and things we have in-world resides. We say that is where the actual things are. An inventory system in the backend servers keeps track of what you have in inventory. Consider that as the master copy of the inventory list you have in the viewer.

When you login the viewer and servers compare lists and the viewer updates from the servers. If you delete the inventory list on your computer, the viewer downloads a new copy of the list and you continue on.

A poor connection and a flat inventory, flat meaning lots of items in a single folder, ~>5,000, can cause inventory to fail to load correctly. To resolve this we usually go to a empty deserted regions and login there. Then open inventory and search for items. The search triggers comparisons with the server-side list and forces everything to load. Stay in the region until it reloads.

The Firestorm wiki link for missing inventory above has additional troubleshooting steps.

17 minutes ago, iiLico said:

there are two possibilities:

1. you accidentaly deleted them... (meh, hope that dind't happen O.o)
  2. you had connection problems when repopulating the inventory cache (easy way to check, install a second viewer, if items are there but not in FS... it is an inventory cache issue)

inventoy cache can be hard to repopulate on lossy connections... in fact so hard I copied mine from my old installation backup after 3 unsuccessfull repopulation tries

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.