Ridable Horse Recommendations, Please

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Zed Avedon said:

FYI Realistek (my brand) also makes wearable and vehicle horses. 

I have both a Realistek horse and great dane avatar, not the ridable. And Teegle avatar. And Waterhorse Riding (which I have to remove my tail for :( ) and a Breeder's Choice foal avatar and a centaur avatar.

The Realistek is certainly worth looking at based on the quality of the avatar. Not having tried the ridable I can't speak of those.

OP, another option to a ridable is to find a horse roleplayer and form a friendship. Ridables are fun, but I think it's even better if you can go riding with a living horse, one who can add a little more realism through their RP.

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2018 at 4:38 PM, Zed Avedon said:

FYI Realistek (my brand) also makes wearable and vehicle horses. 

I am very pleased with my Realistek Appaloosa stallion.  He's the horse I have been riding on some of my travelogue wanderings in Bellisseria this summer.  It took me a little while to figure out which features work on the worn version rather than the rezzed version (or vice versa), but I've used both successfully. When I'm not riding, he grazes peacefully on my region. He's a fine traveling companion. He even has a nice whinny.  Someday I really have to name him.  :)

• Like 2

I have two Waterhorse horses (Clydesdale and English Warmblood) but another one not mentioned yet is Teegle.

In comparing the two, I find Teegles a bit less realistic when compared to Waterhorse; they've got a slight cartoony feel to them, however I do think the animations for them are head-and-shoulders better than the animations for Waterhorse.

Teegles are also cheaper.

Here is me with one of my Waterhorses:

gypsy_001.thumb.png.e6cedbb4e1f1d887f5d5763e582ca956.png

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I am very pleased with my Realistek Appaloosa stallion.

Oh yes! I have to Realistek horses, one old sculptie and one of the new animesh ones and they're both lovely.

We can always do with more animals in SL though so a new creator of horses is good news indeed!

Now, if only somebody could make a better centaur avi too... ;)

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I assembled my own Animesh centaur ride with a Jinx base. Her name is Charlotte.

Oh that's lovely!

Actually, Realistek makes a goregous centaur avatar too. Here are two of me:

1527280672_Centaurduo_001-002edited.thumb.png.105a6bd3711a85b49f92df9bb04476fd.png

I still mis my *KOT* centaur though. It was just as lovely and had a different, more slender, build that suited me. Sadly, it's broken and *KOT* doesn't exist anymore so it will never be fixed.

778272957_Centaurduo_005edited.thumb.png.367312b168fd36fb1e10c86db847c671.png

But most of all I miss a good AO that works with a centaur avi. Regular human AOs would have worked if animation makers respected the animation priority system but nobody does - not even the people who made the default system aniamtions.

I have Realistek, Bento Water Horse, Animesh Water Horse (Friend Version) and the new TeeglePet Ridable Animesh Horse (Copyable Version). Of all of them, my favorite is the TegglePet.

The Realistek feels "heavy" and by that I mean it feels a lot more complicated than it needs to be, the HUD has too many rarely ever used options, and it feels very script-heavy, yet doesn't really feel very different from the Water Horse or TeeglePet Ridable - it seems over-priced for these reasons as customizability is practically nil (new coats (paint textures) for example. Just my impression here.

The Bento Water Horse Clydesdale looks awesome (even though that breed isn't so much a riding horse) and I love the mods for the Bento Water Horse, like the Buck and Stag, etc. But the Bento Water Horse (except the Clydesdale) and the Animesh version Water Horse strike me as having necks that are too long. These have far more of a "cartoon" lookk to me than the TeeglePets, which are far more accurate in terms of body proportions. The WH feel very off-balance to me. Other than they, they are excellent options. The Water Horse Animesh version is my preferred version of Water Horse because the bento version uses up a lot of attachment points, where the Animesh version uses only one when worn and can also be rezzed to wander. Though the wandering aspect requires pathfinding and that must be turned on with all private regions (it's off by default) and only the estate owner can turn it on. So other than mainland, Water Horse wandering feature will not work as a rule of thumb.

The TeeglePet is my favorite because of the features it has, like the Water Horse it can be worn or rezzed, wandering does not require path-finding (it is radius-based) and will randomly follow an avatar within range (nice touch!) They also look more accurate in terms of proportions and very realistic in stance: The American Painted version carries its head lower, with a more horizontal neck when standing (Just look at any American Western to see it) whereas the other of the currently two breeds has the "prouder-looking" more upright neck stance. So the difference in the breed is actually a difference in the breed; the Water Horse breed differences is that same horse with a different saddle type.

The TeeglePet also handles a lot better than the Water Horse when rezzed-to-ride - the Water Horse is barely controllable past anything than a walk, where the TeeglePet is much better with smoother control (though still could be better.) I also like how the TeeglePet will auto-swim if you end up in system water like a lake or the ocean. A lake in your way? Water Horse Riders: go around, TeeglePet riders, pffft, go through. The TeeglePet (rez-and-ride) also can carry three peaople and the reins can be passed to any of them (anyone may "drive it") - this feature is not on the Water Horse Animesh, which carries only one other and you cannot pass the controls (unless there has been an update that adds this feature, though I haven't seen it.)

Rezzing a Water Horse Animesh is owner only, unless you buy (12000L) "Friends" version where you can then rez one for anyone to ride (I have this, so that's how I know). The TeeglePet is no-copy (but allows forever redeliveries) but always allows anyone to ride (if you set access for that) or you can buy a copiable version for only 6000L (half the cost of the Water Horse Friends version) and rez as many as you want, and set the access to anyone on all of them.

So it is the actual features of the product for why the TeeglePet is my favorite among the current three top contenders.

For anyone in the market for a new Mesh or Animesh horse, I strongly recommend you try the demos and run them through their paces, including how it behaves when going into system water, just to see how it all works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.