Ridable Horse Recommendations, Please

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There may be others by now, but last I heard Water Horse was the only bento horse.  You get a very nice, realistic riding experience.  Look for the HUGE barn https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Water Horse/39/54/22

MP:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=Water+Horse

2 minutes ago, Sandy Schnook said:

There may be others by now, but last I heard Water Horse was the only bento horse.  You get a very nice, realistic riding experience.  Look for the HUGE barn https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Water Horse/39/54/22

MP:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=Water+Horse

I have that one, a birthday gift from my friends. I love it

13 hours ago, Fionalein said:

if you can wait: hold back and wait for animesh to appear otherwise yea the waterhorse if you have no bento extras (WH uses wings tail and hind legs)

The Water Horse is a wearable. Is Animesh wearable? I didn't think it was, though I haven't been playing with it.

4 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

The Water Horse is a wearable. Is Animesh wearable? I didn't think it was, though I haven't been playing with it.

Last time i looked it said limited to 1 animesh attachment - sounds wearable to me. More important question would be: can we sit upon it when rezzed?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Animesh_User_Guide#Animesh_attachments

Edited by Fionalein

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

Last time i looked it said limited to 1 animesh attchment - sounds wearable to me. More important question would be: can we sit upon it when rezzed?

Guess I need to go back and watch the videos again. I do remember Oz saying they could be ridden and used for transportation.

• Thanks 1

Okay .. I found it: 

Animesh attachments

Animesh objects can also be attachments on your avatar. Like a conventional static attachment, an animesh attachment will move with the selected attachment point on your avatar, such as your right shoulder or left hand. Animesh attachments can then run animations, which can change their apparent position relative to their attachment point (for example, if the pelvis joint is part of the animation).

Like static attachments, animesh attachments can be repositioned using the editing controls. Changing position or rotation will move the attachment relative to its attachment point.

Currently you can have at most one animesh attachment at a time.

source:http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Animesh_User_Guide

As it hasn't been mentioned yet, I thought I'd mention it .. There is a free horse included with one of the free avatars.

In Firestorm Viewer it is accessed via the top menu under Avatar - Choose an Avatar. In the New Avatars section she is the 7th one along.

If you wear your own outfit you can add just the 2 items; AO Female Rider and Rhiannon - Pet Horse Eirwin.

It's something, at least :)

• Thanks 1

I have all the Water horse horses..

The thing I like about them is there is so much creator support that you can find all kinds of skins and accessories for them..

Plus the bento really made them feel so much more like smoother riding more realistic animations..

this was a stock skin

36547328135_480b0d0dc2_b.jpg

36500973546_e14c07aff9_b.jpg

35712477374_aa5fb3ab14_b.jpg

35712491064_8b5dc425da_b.jpg

I'm kind of in the way on this one,but this is a skin I bought for mine..

30134464878_71e0e0d265_b.jpg

But you can get unicorn ones and all kinds of really wild things for your horse..

They are a blast..

Getting on the Atoll and riding around that place is a really great and long nice ride in mainland on a nice horse..:)

I love my horses,In SL and RL

• Like 3

This is my favorite out of them all and my first bento..I think because it was my first, I paid so much more to detail into making it as close as possible to my favorite all time horse in RL..I'm still hunting for a closer skin,but it's really close

This is just me.. I feel so at home and even named this one after my very first horse from RL, Motown Express..She was one the best horses I ever had and probably ever will have..

I lost her to a pack of dogs from down the road  years back.. I still kick myself to this day for not being there..

Thanks to second life we can get a little bit  of the things we love back..:)

44024126684_dac696b13d_b.jpg

44742538741_26ff8bdda3_b.jpg

Also,that unicorn you have is a really beautiful one..I have one that I think is mostly  the stock one and doesn't look nearly as nice as that one..

Great job on yours..The horn looks really natural also.. Great pictures :)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

As it hasn't been mentioned yet, I thought I'd mention it .. There is a free horse included with one of the free avatars.

In Firestorm Viewer it is accessed via the top menu under Avatar - Choose an Avatar. In the New Avatars section she is the 7th one along.

If you wear your own outfit you can add just the 2 items; AO Female Rider and Rhiannon - Pet Horse Eirwin.

It's something, at least :)

This one is not one I'd recommend, unless you're only interested in riding side saddle. It's a horrible execution of what could've been super awesome. 

For me, the inability to actually ride the horse, the way I want to-normally, negates every single good thing about the horse(and that makes me sad).

Though I can't really recommend any other horses, they're all too rich for my blood, lol, the water horse is pretty much the only one I ever see anyone with these days. It used to be AKK (I believe? is that the right? I can't even remember anymore and I actually have one, somewhere, lmao..anyway..) but now it's water horse, from what I can tell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Great job on yours..The horn looks really natural also.. Great pictures

Thank you! That is actually the stock - I set the texture to the one with the blueish tinge and used the different main and added the forehead and leg feathers. :)

As for picture-taking, make we should start a thread about SL Snapshotting Tips or something :)  I use some serious tricks that even Firestorm doesn't know about and works in every viewer ~laughs~

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Raindrop Drinkwater said:

There's also a brown horse in the male section -- and this one comes with an AO that allows you to ride either horse normally.

A male AO, that females can't use(it's actually tied into whichever type of av you're wearing, male/female), and though some have made it work for short periods of time, most can't and won't be able to. So, nope, if you're a female av, this one won't work either, lol. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

A male AO, that females can't use(it's actually tied into whichever type of av you're wearing, male/female), and though some have made it work for short periods of time, most can't and won't be able to. So, nope, if you're a female av, this one won't work either, lol. 

That's... hmm, how can I put it nicely? ? Of all the things, that's one I wasn't expecting. I must've gotten lucky because I'm pretty sure I've given the brown horse (and AO) a whirl with Raindrop. I switched back to my good old prim' horse after a short while because I was missing the sounds -- so I must've fallen in the "short periods of time" timeframe. I really liked how it was modelled. A shame it can only be effectively used by one gender!

FYI Realistek (my brand) also makes wearable and vehicle horses. 

The wandering vehicle type ones are expensive (12K) but do allow anyone to ride them. They also wander and graze around as horses do. You can see and ride them at my shop in Hunder. Because they are 'vehicle' horses (like an SL car) anyone can ride them .. but you cannot use them anywhere you like in SL as they must be rezzed on the ground (at your place). They also have 4 gaits (!) .. if you press to move as per normal, then lift and replace your finger (within 1 second or so) on your forward arrow the horse goes faster and to the next animated gait. It does a bunch (come, stay, wander etc) but i wont over explain that here :)

The wearable ones can also come with the wandering function (also at 12K) but can only be used by the owner (because they must be worn). The advantage to wearing a horse is that it can be used anywhere in SL, teleport with it etc.

And finally my simple wearble horse (about 5K) looks the same as all the above but is made to be the equivalent to how typical SL horses work (no wandering). It does also do the 4 gait thing tho if you set it to that.

Some folk think my stuff is expensive, but it took me a full year to make these so i dont mind charging something (!) . Also i value my skills as an artist!. Script and texture efficiency/ land impact has also been a goal. OK ..i hope all this helps you understand the options. here are my links if you would like to see/ read up about them ..

And a final FYI .. the 'saddle vehicles' for the wearable horses allows you to take two friends with you .. thats 3 on the horse! :) .. im very proud of my build :))

marketplace:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=G&search[keywords]=realistek+riding+horse

inworld shop:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hunder/236/184/1801

Edited by Zed Avedon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Zed Avedon said:

Some folk think my stuff is expensive, but it took me a full year to make these so i dont mind charging something (!)

I have a friend who has your Horse (and a Puppy, too!) - your stuff is really amazing as SL animals go. Though I have to say that is the animations are important then up to right now the Water Horse is best in class. Though for more variety of functions and amazing capabilities, yours are the best in class. If you ever upgrade your wearables to be bento and have similar amazing animations, then you'll take the crown, hands-down.

As for pets, you'rs have been the best in SL for a long time. I refer to the general pet. Though I've seen your adverts for the, um... "activity" versions, I cannot speak to those. LOL

You should be very proud of your work...and you should also realize that just because it's too expensive for some of us, is absolutely no indication that it is of low quality whatsoever, that we believe it's not worth the cost, or that we believe you should charge less.  We simply have differing budgets, much like rl ;) 

I'm someone that, quite strongly, believes people should charge whatever they want to charge for their work. I also believe that the cost rarely, if ever, is an indication of quality, amount of work put into something, or even the intangible value someone puts on their work and/or skill(s) ;)  Others may think differently than I do on that bit..but that's ok. 

4 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Shhhh super secret haxxor trick: Rez Rider AO to ground open and shove the animations into a regular AO which does not check your shape's gender... works wonders ;)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.