September Town Hall discussion

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Callum Meriman said:

A lot of people choose a name they regret over time.

It might have been a name they thought was funny at the time, or a name that means something bad in another language, or a sexual name that they are now ashamed of, or even a name that no longer reflects who they are. (Think Bruce who now prefers to be called Barbara).

Then of course there are people who want to have the same name as their partner to show their undying love. Those people wlll be able to both select a new surname and wear it together.

my partner loves me but after 4 years she still won't take my last name. She said she prefers the simple elegance and purity of her well thought out single user name (capitaized i might add)

However she did say if it bothered me so much, I could always change my last name to Resident

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

The thing is, I've been to Sansar, and for me it's Second Life with all the fun stripped out.

You're right. Strictly in technical terms, Sansar is better than SL in almost every way, but it's so sterile. SL is more fun and people would put serious money into it because of the freedom it allows.

• Like 1

Sansar is also not compatible with Macs / Macs are not compatible with Sansar.  That's keeping a lot of folks out of that loop.  So it's either SL or Open Sim for Mac users.   

SL doesn't have near the numbers of users like when I first logged in back on 2007 -- that was sort of the heyday period.  But it's definitely improved a lot with the addition of mesh and other features.  Still expensive if you want your own sim even with the recent reduction in pricing.  

I do think VR will prevail but the cost of equipment that is VR capable has to come down as well and right now we're in some deeply uncertain times with the crazy stuff going on with the US and trade tariffs so that could change for the worse -- with costs of electronics increasing across the board.  

The idea of a VR Amazon is still hovering out there but the costs to recreate everything in 3D is high so that may not happen on that scale.

I keep seeing more companies using 3D content -- not necessarily in the scope of VR but it's becoming more common especially in home improvement and decorating and of course games and apps.   

And I have a few VR people and companies that I follow on Twitter so I'm seeing articles all the time about what is happening in VR.  There are a lot of interesting things going on  -- just not in SL.

Education is an area that has seen growth in VR and VR is an ideal match for educational development.  The immersive and interactive aspects of VR enhances learning.  It's being used in teaching medical procedure, safety training for various industry, and for general academia,  history, art history, cultural history -- I can a lot of opportunity for VR.   How all of this filters back into Second Life -- that depends on where SL is headed and also the land costs.  Education isn't exactly a priority of the current US gov administration so academic institutions  are not jumping into VR with fistfuls of dollars when they're not sure about their own basic funding to cover their overhead.   On the flip side, online VR classes could have a huge cost advantage, however, that may be more suited to Open Sim where you have more control over you space and the costs are significantly less that SL. 

SL still has to offer outside of the general fun and game -- but selling that isn't going to be easy -- the novelty has worn off and Open Sim and other VR worlds have gotten a lot better.

I'd like to see more collaboration between LL and residents -- especially in crossover SL/RL art projects that exhibit in RL galleries, museums, art festivals.  That's an area where VR is definitely making inroads.  I also think LL would do well to really support the RP and gaming challenge sims beyond their own.  

I wanted to ask Ebbe a question but missed the question deadline and the the live Town Hall.  It's about sim archiving which would be a very cool feature to have.  I started a topic on it in this forum. 

14 hours ago, Phoebe Avro said:

The resident name was the biggest mes sup LL ever made lol and display names a total mes scripts don't work with them!

They totally destroyed the names by their no last names & display names implementation. The majority of users appeared to be against that thing. But they did do it anyway because they thought that it was a really super cool great idea. Now they are about to fix it, but they want the users to pay for.

I can understand paying for a name change, that's reasonable. But that new accounts cannot have first name and last name at account creation process, that really sucks. :(

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

They totally destroyed the names by their no last names & display names implementation. The majority of users appeared to be against that thing. But they did do it anyway because they thought that it was a really super cool great idea. Now they are about to fix it, but they want the users to pay for.

I can understand paying for a name change, that's reasonable. But that new accounts cannot have first name and last name at account creation process, that really sucks. :(

The way they messed up wasnt getting rid of last names, the way they messed up was not making the display name the only one you saw. Everyone then could call themselves as they wished and people wouldnt have an account name to try and guess a password for so also increasing security at the same time

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 11:32 PM, Phoebe Avro said:

The resident name was the biggest mes sup LL ever made lol and display names a total mes scripts don't work with them!

I've seen scripts that have called my avatars by their display names, and can even distinguish between a "first" and "last" name within that display name.

• Like 1

On 22 September 2018 at 4:32 AM, Phoebe Avro said:

Only the scripts made by SL-Fossils to ignorant too know about or to arrogant to use the LSL function llGetDisplayName( avatar-uuid ).

Edited by Klytyna
Happy now?
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I totally respect you, Madam, and should have restrained myself (need training).

I'd give you a chocolate chip cookie, but...

Apparently chocolate can cause chronic renal failure in cats, so no choc-chip for you, ever...

Bwahahahahahahahah!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/18/2018 at 11:19 AM, KanryDrago said:

It is not VR that is dead more good titles come out for it everyday and with second gen headsets and peoples machines slowly catching up as they upgrade then it will slowly ramp up.

Its pretty dead. Lets be honest. Yes there are people using VR and yes applications are being developed for VR but in terms of the hype and pick up they thought it would have...its dead. VR in my opinion as it stands is a fad that has a long long long way to go before it becomes something seriously mainstream. There are too many barriers right now for the average person to pick it up on a regular serious basis. Motion sickness, cost, limited amount of VR experiences etc etc are just some of the issues facing it. Im more excited by the various developments of augmented reality glasses than I am VR.

On 9/21/2018 at 1:59 PM, Pixels Sideways said:

Sansar is also not compatible with Macs / Macs are not compatible with Sansar.  

That will come eventually. They have said several times that there will be a Sansar viewer for Mac at some point, probably not any time soon though

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.