Callum Meriman

How does your Sansar avatar look today?

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I tried running this morning when I logged into Sansar and couldn't! Did they switch running to something other than double tapping W?

Yes, you need to hold down the SHIFT key to toggle running on and off.     Either Shift THEN move or move then Shift -- I forgot which. 

And  -- yes, it is easier to take photos of your surroundings now. I guess I never really explored the "mouselook" view. But I got some really nice outdoor vendor shots yesterday which was a plus -- and without me IN them :D> 

I think with the STEAM thing on the horizon most of the efforts are going to be in VR and the avatars are going to get left behind yet again.  

That and the new eSports thing.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

and the avatars are going to get left behind yet again.  

That's what I'm afraid of, but I'm not spending any time there until they fix the avatar. I'll go to product meetings, but that's it.

43 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yes, you need to hold down the SHIFT key to toggle running on and off.     Either Shift THEN move or move then Shift -- I forgot which. 

And  -- yes, it is easier to take photos of your surroundings now. I guess I never really explored the "mouselook" view. But I got some really nice outdoor vendor shots yesterday which was a plus -- and without me IN them :D> 

I think with the STEAM thing on the horizon most of the efforts are going to be in VR and the avatars are going to get left behind yet again.  

That and the new eSports thing.   

41 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

That's what I'm afraid of, but I'm not spending any time there until they fix the avatar. I'll go to product meetings, but that's it.

Well I certainly intend on adding some custom avatars.  Manual Bastoni for Blender is really impressive and fun to create characters with.  I wonder if Avastar will be extended to cover Sansar too?  That would be nice!

They should maybe let Niran from Blackdragon viewer consult on the Sansar avatar movement, he's worked wonders in his viewer, its a total pleasure to use and cinematic too, especially with the xbox controller.

Im actually very excited about Steam, ive had an account there for years, there are a lot of great people there, despite the trolls, besides the trolls are just fodder for those who love a given game, read the comments lmao!  One of my fav's on Steam is Cities Skylines, played the hell outta that!  The trolls were annoying, but they left once they realized most everyone was totally in love with the game.  Same can be said about Skyrim Special Edition, so many disgruntled ungrateful little *****ts complaining, but nobody cares, SSE has surpassed Old Skrim in every way by now, despite the naysayers.

Im not sure what they're focused on before the Steam release, but, character control is hopefully on the list for a little bit of polish, its nice already, but some camera smoothing/easing with slider controls would be excellent!  ive not tried VR yet, but I will once I find a device that's newer nexgen, smaller/lighter/faster.

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne

4 minutes ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Well I certainly intend on adding some custom avatars. 

Custom avatars are nice for those who want non-human avatars or don't care about changing their clothing. As of now, you cannot "dress" custom avatars. It's a complete avatar without the possibility of adding clothing or attachments. I like dressing my "Barbie".

I wonder if Avastar will be extended to cover Sansar too?  That would be nice!

I hope Avastar will extend to Sansar, but until LL finalizes the avatar with sliders I doubt Avastar will even consider working on it.

Im actually very excited about Steam,

I think Steam has good potential. I think it would have been wise to finalize the avatar before going that route though.

Btw, I'm Debi Baskerville over in Sansar. I have experiences and a store there. I spent a lot of time away from SL devoting my time and energy to Sansar up until this summer. I do love Sansar, but avatar customization and being able to identify with my avatar are very important to me. So, I'm not giving up on Sansar, but it's taking a back seat until they fix the avatar. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Custom avatars are nice for those who want non-human avatars or don't care about changing their clothing. As of now, you cannot "dress" custom avatars. It's a complete avatar without the possibility of adding clothing or attachments. I like dressing my "Barbie".

I hope Avastar will extend to Sansar, but until LL finalizes the avatar with sliders I doubt Avastar will even consider working on it.

I think Steam has good potential. I think it would have been wise to finalize the avatar before going that route though.

Btw, I'm Debi Baskerville over in Sansar. I have experiences and a store there. I spent a lot of time away from SL devoting my time and energy to Sansar up until this summer. I do love Sansar, but avatar customization and being able to identify with my avatar are very important to me. So, I'm not giving up on Sansar, but it's taking a back seat until they fix the avatar.

Ok, yeah thats a big limitation, the avatar must be clothed already for the time being then I guess, maybe with some changeable layers to hide/show/tint clothing elements.  My assessment whilst tinkering was that they didnt care too much for the avatar look, because they know folks will add custom ones, and it seems the slider parameters are going to be customizable per character/model, and that will have a set to work with, but they can be renamed, and what they do adjusted by the creator.

I wish there were a Jira so we could see some of the immense works they're putting into things, it must be a wild ride in there right now leading up to steam release!  If you spend enough time reading SL forums and Jira, you will see represented in Sansar a vast swath of all the greatest hopes/wishes/requests from SL over the years.  I dont think Avatar goodies are going to fall by the wayside, they will blow everyones mind once it really goes into full swing, the power of the api and system and performance is going to mean some absolutely astounding creations are possible!

Edit:  Im Macronomicus over there in Sansar, I might make an alt for this SL account there too, but ive had my Macronomicus account over there more than a year or so now.

New Avatar look today, i love him, he's super shiny and has moving gears inside, to think this is an early taste of what will be possible in Sansar, its exciting! Flikr videos dont seem to work here as you can see below, so here is the link too, just a quick one minute vid with lots of lights godrays and shiny stuff. :)   https://flic.kr/p/2bxKdQD

Sansar New Avatar :D

Now I would REALLY like this top in RL.   After two hours of web shopping I ended up ordering one fancy sweatshirt. Honestly, virtual clothes are easier. 

But MOSTLY I took this screenshot as I managed to sit on this stool the first try.   OMG!  We in theory are getting "butt grab points" in the next update so that we won't have to teleport and then sit. That will help.  Getting an animation  connected to a piece of furniture will come eventually.  Poco a poco.

1585752973_repurposedset.thumb.PNG.166a7ba8167f0c08e9ec733a87609fdd.PNG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Now I would REALLY like this top in RL.   After two hours of web shopping I ended up ordering one fancy sweatshirt. Honestly, virtual clothes are easier. 

But MOSTLY I took this screenshot as I managed to sit on this stool the first try.   OMG!  We in theory are getting "butt grab points" in the next update so that we won't have to teleport and then sit. That will help.  Getting an animation  connected to a piece of furniture will come eventually.  Poco a poco.

Nice Chic! ❤️ This is the most exciting time ever for Sansar, seems like so many features are coming out of dev everyone was hoping for.  :D

19 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

We in theory are getting "butt grab points" in the next update

Don't tell quin :P

I found a pair of Neko ears on the Sansar Marketplace, sadly, female rigged so they didn't even show up in my dressing room *cry*

Knowing all the problems it's caused in SL it seems the Lab went and made the skeletons incompatible between genders.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

I found a pair of Neko ears on the Sansar Marketplace, sadly, female rigged so they didn't even show up in my dressing room *cry*

Knowing all the problems it's caused in SL it seems the Lab went and made the skeletons incompatible between genders.

but it's EARS!!!!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Does that include the new default avatars too?  We dont know much about them yet, and they're still grey too lol, but its what you get when you start a new user account, until you try to change then you still have to use a legacy version avi, or use a custom one.

9 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

for girls only :( I am sad neko. Even Mr Green needs his ears.

Does the Sansar MP say “female ears”? If not, triggered!

6ABFD640-AD9F-4B20-8FE9-02926341BB71.jpeg

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does the Sansar MP say “female ears”? If not, triggered!

Yes. Who knew that ears were gendered!

1d85edbe5960fc045ef76adfe26e69d5.thumb.png.7e85b4966469b70fbb9da422285f24ee.png

This goes beyond ears, of course.

It's the Lab enforcing/assuming that a person in Sansar must only be one of the binary CIS-Male or CIS-Female.

All those androgynous looks Skell creates, all the looks I like - all perfectly G rated... unpossible due to strict gender enforcement.

These ears don't even show in my dressing room. Bad luck for even wanting to try, Mr Green is not CIS-Female so must not wear female ears.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

It's the Lab enforcing/assuming that a person in Sansar must only be one of the binary CIS-Male or CIS-Female.

All those androgynous looks Skell creates, all the looks I like - all perfectly G rated... unpossible due to strict gender enforcement.

Cynical, but the only other possibility is someone at LL was so short-sighted they didn’t even think about it.

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

They are gendered because they are an attachment and not actually rigged to the skeleton. The female avatar is shorter than the male so the ears would not attach correctly height wise. The ears are in your inventory though. In the dressing room, change the gender of your avatar to female, and then look in the attachments. You'll find those ears there. You just can't use them with the male avatar.

Also, why not shoot the creator a message and ask if they might make a pair for the male avatar. It's rather easy for the creator to just take those ears and realign them to the male avatar. 

The topic of making a single gender neutral avatar as the base default avatar has been suggested several times in product meetings. We're still waiting on the final default avatar to arrive. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

This goes beyond ears, of course.

These ears don't even show in my dressing room. Bad luck for even wanting to try, Mr Green is not CIS-Female so must not wear female ears.

Those base avatars have been the same for eons, they're the fill-in for creator-beta.  From what I have gathered new default avatars are in the works, and this is likely why the older ones have not been fixed in all the ways many of us want, except the most glaring of issues of course, there have been fixes on them, but not totally updated yet even once.

Its a touch more difficult to know whats going on Sansar side beyond what they're allowed to share and we can guess.  They must watch for competition and not give too much away too soon, to keep them guessing until its oooh and awe time.

So, id say the Lab is enforcing working on the underlying system, maybe avatar is back burner, or more likely its secret.

Edit: I have no idea, or care to understand, all the gender bs, Cis? means nothing to me... I see humans, that are as many varieties as the stars in the universe, each one a unique expression of creation.  Labels are crafted to shove people in controllable manageable boxes, i tend to avoid them unless they're fun or useful.  I see all this gender stuff as bored professors cooking up popycock to keep their jobs interesting, grasped on to by those whom like divisiveness and divided masses.

16 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

The female avatar is shorter than the male so the ears would not attach correctly height wise.

Thanks for the explanation :) I guess it also holds for hair, glasses, hats, jewellry, and a myriad other female gendered attachments?

Along with what Blush said, any item that is rigged (and attachments for accessories in Sansar are actually rigged, just in a sort of cheaty way with The Lab doing a bunch of the work) will have issues fitting. The same is true in SL just as in Sansar.  Since currently all that gals are one size and shape and all the guys are another this is LESS of a problem than there would be if we were all various shapes and sizes.  So anyone making anything that is "rigged" (easy or traditional) has to make two versions.   The listing DOES say that they attach to FEMALE ears :D.

I do agree that a gender neutral avatar would be good to have but I doubt that will happen in any foreseeable future.  Too many other things on the list.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Along with what Blush said, any item that is rigged (and attachments for accessories in Sansar are actually rigged, just in a sort of cheaty way with The Lab doing a bunch of the work) will have issues fitting. The same is true in SL just as in Sansar.  Since currently all that gals are one size and shape and all the guys are another this is LESS of a problem than there would be if we were all various shapes and sizes.  So anyone making anything that is "rigged" (easy or traditional) has to make two versions.   The listing DOES say that they attach to FEMALE ears :D.

I do agree that a gender neutral avatar would be good to have but I doubt that will happen in any foreseeable future.  Too many other things on the list.  

Excellent point, thats the same situation with all our various mesh bodies here in SL, things fitted are only for that one mesh base.

Once we get some more sliders and skins and who knows tweaks or replacements to the defaults there will be a ton of variety and it will feel much better.

For what its worth the female avi is nice, good natural curves and shape and pretty face, skin and sliders will make a huge impact.  The male needs mesh help tho... lol

13 minutes ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Excellent point, thats the same situation with all our various mesh bodies here in SL, things fitted are only for that one mesh base.

It's not an excellent point.

90% of the SL MP for attachments isn't fitted and can be worn by anyone, no matter what gender or size - even what species. Want to wear some female jewellry in SL (as I have for about 5 years) edit it into place. Want to wear a hat made for females, just put it on.

And - keeping to the topic of attachments - ears, wings, and tails all carry the close to the same rigging in SL - male and female. For those that need a little adjustment like tiny wings, a deform does the trick.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember which Linden, but a Linden, in one of the product meetings has said that the intention is to eventually allow people to adjust (move) attachments in the dressing room. So when that happens you would be able to move those ears so they could be worn on a male avatar. This is the reason why I say that the attachments aren't actually rigged as clothing and hair are rigged to the avatar. I made a cape as an attachment some time ago and it very obviously didn't move with the avatar as any actual rigged clothing would move. I could be wrong of course. I've never asked if attachments are rigged or just placed on an avatar. I see it kinda like how our unrigged hair in SL is currently worn. The hair isn't rigged but yes, it's attached to our avatar. In edit mode, we can move that hair and even resize it.

• Like 2

OK a  picture in the middle of the night  *mine anyway*.

Coming to you from my new experience.

1508600986_Nov22-2.thumb.jpg.3633b298d66a6864aa1f1e3b9c9beb76.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 3