Callum Meriman

How does your Sansar avatar look today?

Our avatars define us, they reflect our dreams, desires, and our æsthetics. Our avatars tell a story and impart feelings into other people without the need for  words. With an avatar that makes someone feel good inside a person can be better compelled to explore and maybe fall in love with the game. Conversely, if the avatar is fat and frumpy the desire to stay is lessened substantially.

Although many will say it's shallow there is no doubt that our avatars are one of the many things that give others a first impression, and they can make us feel confident and joyous, or like that ugly kid back in grade school, the one who was terribly bullied for frumpy looks.

Let's share pictures, and maybe please a "how I did it" of our Sansar avatars.

921001ce001daa5bd155449558ce8b73.gif.b6372a01ae1e65b538199d8cb6c77297.gif

No offence, but are those avatars they are offering supposed to make us want to join sansar?

• Like 1

If you go over and make an avatar and really study the shape and details (elbows, ankles, shoulders, etc) the model is really quite good. The problem, and it's a HUGE one, is that it's nearly impossible to customize the avatar with the exception of clothing or using a totally custom avatar. This is because they have yet to give us a way to change the shape of the body, and what is available for the facial features is so little that no matter what you do you still end up looking like everyone else. This could be alleviated with the introduction of custom skins, but there is no word on when that's coming.

I've taken a long break from Sansar, but once they get the mechanism in place that will let us really change facial features and body shape, I will be back. I do think the avatar has great possibilities.

• Like 2

Forgot to add pics of my avie ... 

783668356_sansar1.thumb.jpg.7bf22cd93961cdd8f72d9525f3701314.jpg

I personally think my avie is too skinny. I would shorten the legs a bit add some flesh to the thighs and widen the hips a bit.

sansar2.thumb.jpg.996ca8fa2c9767fbbba4c1fc9a3f5d9f.jpg

I've made make-up for my avie and blue eyes to cover the dull brown ones. All items worn except for the hair, fishnet stockings (I'm wearing black socks over the stockings), and boots were made by me.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Blush! If I look at my terrible attempt, then yours it's clear who did a better job.

Personally it's just way too hard for me to get into Sansar with an avatar that looks like someone who's seen the better side of 40. Hopefully seeing the avatars of the very skilled (Sansar concurrency is 15, so there should be 15 of you, come on gals and guys) and especially how they grew on from the seriously old and chubby options the Lab want us to wear can only help grow that world.

• Like 1

Being an granny in RL, I'm happy that the avatars in Sansar have an older appearance. I'm constantly trying to age my avatar in SL, but it's nearly impossible without looking like I'm 80 with gray hair. Mid thirties is ideal for me. Love being young again. :)

I don't think you're going to get much response here as those who are active in Sansar aren't necessarily active in the SL forums.

On 9/16/2018 at 12:17 PM, Blush Bravin said:

If you go over and make an avatar and really study the shape and details (elbows, ankles, shoulders, etc) the model is really quite good. The problem, and it's a HUGE one, is that it's nearly impossible to customize the avatar with the exception of clothing or using a totally custom avatar. This is because they have yet to give us a way to change the shape of the body, and what is available for the facial features is so little that no matter what you do you still end up looking like everyone else. This could be alleviated with the introduction of custom skins, but there is no word on when that's coming.

I've taken a long break from Sansar, but once they get the mechanism in place that will let us really change facial features and body shape, I will be back. I do think the avatar has great possibilities.

i hope they never do that becuz  females will go crazy elongating there avatars to non human  standards an makin tiny waists with huge rumps n fat legs that ***** n lets face it in rl they dont look that way no 1 does 

21 minutes ago, Quinn Lysette said:

i hope they never do that becuz  females will go crazy elongating there avatars to non human  standards an makin tiny waists with huge rumps n fat legs that ***** n lets face it in rl they dont look that way no 1 does 

I decided there was really no good reason to respond to this, so I deleted my post.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, Callum Meriman said:

Let's share pictures, and maybe please a "how I did it" of our Sansar avatars.

921001ce001daa5bd155449558ce8b73.gif.b6372a01ae1e65b538199d8cb6c77297.gif

lol Callum I think he's been meditating far too long and gone totally 'out of body'.

Yank him up to do some yoga asana poses, get more grounded.

Well I have to say that I am not thrilled with the avatars. Actually the SHAPE if fine but as Blush said we can't change much so we end up all looking the same. The MESH is good but the skin needs some work and I personally would like smaller hands but I am guessing that they are large for all those "Bento" (that we can't use yet) riggings. I know by accident that there is another new avatar out there. I even have a copy (don't ask) and the head is shaped differently. I am guessing that they won't make tons of changes for awhile though as it would break existing content somewhat.

That being said, some other things have been "broken" with changes so I could be way off there. 

I logged in to take a photo. For those "not there" taking photos is SO NOT EASY. There are almost no camera options (maybe better in VR I know not). So here "I" am in my new Snow Daze abode which I am extremely happy with.   Happily I am using my 45 day free Marvelous Designer trial which is great fun. Since I have a background in 3D AND in sewing (for a living and also taught college classes) it is pretty much like play after a day or so of learning the fundamentals. So clothes will not be an issue. Everything you see in the photo besides the hair is mine. I like that in new platforms, we stretch because of need.

1924090670_wnowdazesept23.thumb.png.e3cacf9cd9492f7114b1a03dbcf41459.png

Honestly I would be pretty happy with some skin choices and some head modifications. I know they are on the drawing board. There are just plenty of other things on the drawing board that are more important -- people animations come to mind LOL.

It's probably been eight years since I made clothes. Really fun. And eventually I will have learned enough to make things that are "really me" :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

The most fun I've had in Sansar has been getting Marvelous Designer and "sewing". I have been a seamstress since high school and at one point even sewed for a living while my son was very young so I could stay at home with him. I did quite well sewing from my back room. I used the demo for the two months offered to those with a Sansar account and then purchased it from Steam when the demo ran out. Fortunately, Steam was running a sale on MD so I got it for a great price. 

You probably already know this but just in case you don't or for anyone reading this who might find the info useful, hit F4 to free cam. You can then use the wasd keys to move that cam anywhere you like and rotate using your mouse around your avatar or completely away from your avatar for taking pics. Hitting F4 again will return to 3rd person view.

I've noticed the clothing you're making in the Sansar store, Chic. I like em!

Forgot to mention, back in the spring the devs told us that the new avatar head would be out in the fall sometime. They said that it won't have sliders but that we'll be able to push/pull the face to change it much the same way you do in Black Desert. So I am eagerly waiting for it to be released. They also said that once they get the head completed they would work on the body. The avatar is actually two pieces with the head being a separate piece. That's the reason they said the new head would come out before the new body. Also, it's not likely that changing the head will break any content. That's not the case for the body.

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

The MESH is good but the skin needs some work and I personally would like smaller hands but I am guessing that they are large for all those "Bento" (that we can't use yet) riggings.

I agree the hands are a little bit too large, but I'll take those large hands over those tiny hands we see so often in SL. I haven't heard anything about Bento being in Sansar or coming to Sansar. Is that something new they're talking about?

6 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Forgot to mention, back in the spring the devs told us that the new avatar head would be out in the fall sometime. They said that it won't have sliders but that we'll be able to push/pull the face to change it much the same way you do in Black Desert. So I am eagerly waiting for it to be released. They also said that once they get the head completed they would work on the body. The avatar is actually two pieces with the head being a separate piece. That's the reason they said the new head would come out before the new body. Also, it's not likely that changing the head will break any content. That's not the case for the body.

I agree the hands are a little bit too large, but I'll take those large hands over those tiny hands we see so often in SL. I haven't heard anything about Bento being in Sansar or coming to Sansar. Is that something new they're talking about?

No chatter on Bento-like things but there area a LOT of joints in both heads and hands -- maybe they are there for WAY down the road (remembering that very nasty tiny "crotch" triangle in the SL default avatar *wink*.

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

No chatter on Bento-like things but there area a LOT of joints in both heads and hands -- maybe they are there for WAY down the road (remembering that very nasty tiny "crotch" triangle in the SL default avatar *wink*.

It was kind of shocked when I first heard that the Sansar avatar face has over 125 bones by itself! But after watching how the face responds to our voice as we talk, I can understand why it took so many bones to get the job done. I have to say I actually enjoy watching the face animate while people talk in Sansar. You almost get a feel for the person's personality it's so realistic.

Look of the day is a beach outfit with a tropical theme. Bright colors fit well with the flora of Scurry Waters.

Taking photos is HARD in Sansar (well at least in desktop mode - I can't speak to VR). Not much control, no real zooming. No poses (sigh). But it is a fun look!   

Sep29.jpg.b86eba0b41d97b584f2607cfa8d40a50.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Not much control, no real zooming.

Hit F4 to free cam and you can zoom in or out as much as you like. Press F3 to return to 3rd person view.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Hit F4 to free cam and you can zoom in or out as much as you like. Press F3 to return to 3rd person view.

OK going to try that. THANK YOU!     Actually I CAN zoom in OK LOL but difficult to get "a fashion shot" like I am used to. 

I just tried that and I was already there LOL. BUT pan and zoom are not the same as "camera controls" in SL. *wink*.  After a decade with those I miss them :D.  

Oh I agree it's much easier in SL. But with patience and using mouse with WASD you can get about the same results. Now we just need poses. At least there are a few animations that you can fudge it with using one of the dances or high 5 .. or one of those. 

After a couple of weeks with Marvelous Designer I am getting there and it really is fun.  I see lots of other new to MD folks putting things on the market. So far, I think I am one of the few that is making demos for clothes. As we have always said on the forums TRY THE DEMO and I really believe that is only fair.  Hopefully some more folks will get into that. I have only purchased one item in Sansar (hair) and it had a demo. I doubt I would have spent my Sansar dollars had it not :D.

So today I remade some things for a lounging look which is very "me as Chic" and even though she doesn't look all that great face-wise, she is at least getting a vast and fun wardrobe.   Now mostly I will just be making things that she want LOL.    I have been hanging out in the dressing room so much that the song is beyond painful LOL but I have it on VERY LOW now. 

Oh I also started making more high resolution garments but I am leaving the more "practical" ones up for folks with low end computers. Choices are good I think. 

756883145_sweaterandterryset.thumb.png.9b505177be527549ec66ee9ff56a2740.png

• Like 2

We have begged for a way to offer demos other than just doing a texture with the word demo on it since we've no guarantee that at some point they won't make it available to modify the materials on clothing the way you can on objects in a scene. Many of us held off doing demos because they've said they want to offer a demo ability that would let the person try on the clothing in lookbook only and not be able to wear it outside of lookbook unless the garment was purchased, but as yet that function has only been talked about and not implemented.

I haven't made any clothing in months though the last thing I made I went ahead and offered a demo version much the same as you are doing with yours. But if they do implement the ability to tint clothing it will be a very simple matter to take that demo and tint it black and wear it.  Hopefully, they will get the demo function working sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

After a couple of weeks with Marvelous Designer I am getting there and it really is fun.  I see lots of other new to MD folks putting things on the market.

Impressive work Chic, those textures are very realistic.

7732c2fe4c47b579b6a3aa09be05bb32.png.18d1b1c0be9016cc39bcdd667722f511.png

Are there two shadows on the floor (as there realistically would be with multiple lights) or is that shading on the carpet?

Posted (edited)

Ah I see, the dressing room has two shadows.

My skills are not as good (yet?) The best male choice I can make so far seems to be Mick Jagger.

So, while I wait for an avatar that looks under 50, I shall Embrace the Jagger! Now to see what I can do in MD.

dae29f06f33cd7c4c836122f4b5ef207.gif.1c07f585d98ab991e9a533a446a3bb6e.gifjagger.thumb.jpg.f1f8f477cda68e5e12585ca70a96a0fb.jpg

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

There was talk on Discord about more changes in the LookBook so far as navigation which is really pretty awful if you are trying to take something akin to a vendor picture. Most folks want "more" and little desktop me agrees although I don't say anything there any more as it is a very toxic (that should be in caps) place. Not just my opinion LOL.  But I do drop in and easedrop since the devs do drop morsels of goodness now and then. 

Made a salsa dress today which was fun.   Mostly just playing and getting a really vast wardrobe for the future since I don't imagine I will be a fashion blogger there :D.

Go forth and do great MD things. You only get MD free from Sansar for a certain time period (60 or 90 days? I forget) but you can also get it free for 30 days at the makers. There are plenty of things that will NOT import into Sansar (at least at the moment) so be sure and pay attention to that since there is little reason to learn and make things that you can't get into world.  :D.   So design choices have a lot to do with what you CAN do. At least mine. 

Those pants above are actually terrycloth and look pretty much like that -- on a desktop anyway.   

• Thanks 1