Calling all SL British Users!

Benjamin Opel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been with Virgin for the last 18 years, and have no complaints at all.   Including a reduction for my loyalty bonus, I pay £28.78 a month for the basic TV and Landline phone packages plus the VIVID 100 fibre broadband package (100 Mbps, unlimited).     There's an addition line rental charge which I  pay annually -- £196.00 a year, with the discount for annual payment.   Call outs are free, should I need one (which I haven't for years) and service is very reliable.

I would recommend Virgin without hesitation as broadband provider (I don't use the TV and I usually use my mobile for phone calls, so I can't comment on that side of things).   I had a bad experience with Virgin Mobile but Virgin Media are quite satisfactory as far as I'm concerned.

• Thanks 1

I've been very happy for years with BT.  Stable, fast connection and very few outages (very early morning for a few minutes usually).  I pay about £60 a month for broadband on the fastest speed, unlimited weekend calls, and mobile plan.  I've never had a cause for complaint, and the few times I've called them, to enquire about changing packages, were very pleasant experiences (friendly, patient, knowledgeable people who look for ways to save me money).

Virgin here too. Since the late 90s, although Virgin didn't take over until much later - initially Yorkshire Cable, then Blue Yonder, and then Virgin, as companies swallowed companies.

Virgin has the fastest broadband in the country (350 Mbs/sec). Nobody else in Britain can hold a candle to it. I don't take the speed because I've no use for it, but it's there if wanted.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Benjamin Opel said:

Thanks guys -- forgot to add that Virgin Mobile is not available in my area! Wish they were though, I do want VM.

Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media?   People are recommending Virgin Media -- I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't use Virgin Mobile again (they're a separate business under the Virgin umbrella).

36 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media?   People are recommending Virgin Media -- I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't use Virgin Mobile again (they're a separate business under the Virgin umbrella).

Eek, sorry, I meant Virgin Media! I am actually with Virgin Mobile, and haven't had any problems!

14 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

I am actually with Virgin Mobile, and haven't had any problems!

if you don't have any problems, then great.   It was their customer service department who really messed me about, turning a minor nuisance into a major inconvenience, but when I wasn't having to struggle to keep my temper with Customer Service, they were good.    I still prefer my current providers, Three, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I've been very happy for years with BT.  Stable, fast connection and very few outages (very early morning for a few minutes usually).  I pay about £60 a month for broadband on the fastest speed, unlimited weekend calls, and mobile plan.  I've never had a cause for complaint, and the few times I've called them, to enquire about changing packages, were very pleasant experiences (friendly, patient, knowledgeable people who look for ways to save me money).

BFLd2iS.png

Hmm, £40 per month is soooo expensive. I'm currently looking at Vodafone Broadband. Speed up to 65mb for £25 per month! Online reviews seem good too.

Honestly......

TalkTalk. They are the cheapest I have found and in the last year I have only had 1 incident of downtime. They are always fast and I never notice any slowdown during peak hours and you can usually wangle a good deal out of them over the phone. Before I upgraded I was getting standard broadband, unlimited for 11.99 a month where as other people were paying closer to 20+. 

Stay away from BT as they charge through the nose for the same services found cheaper (and better) by other providers.

Virgin can be good and has very high speeds but only if you live in the right areas to receive them and still not as cheap as other providers.

Out of all of them though I would recommend TalkTalk. Cheap and fast and efficient.

13 minutes ago, InkScape said:

Honestly......

TalkTalk. They are the cheapest I have found and in the last year I have only had 1 incident of downtime. They are always fast and I never notice any slowdown during peak hours and you can usually wangle a good deal out of them over the phone. Before I upgraded I was getting standard broadband, unlimited for 11.99 a month where as other people were paying closer to 20+. 

Stay away from BT as they charge through the nose for the same services found cheaper (and better) by other providers.

Virgin can be good and has very high speeds but only if you live in the right areas to receive them and still not as cheap as other providers.

Out of all of them though I would recommend TalkTalk. Cheap and fast and efficient.

Had a really bad experience with TalkTalk.. my internet connection would literally drop every hour if I were downloading or uploading too much. Paid a lot of money to cancel with them early. Would never go back with them.

I mean, times may of changed since then tho? lol.

20 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I didn't say it was the cheapest, just that I'm very happy with it and have had no problems. I'm not going to change now.  What you decide on is of course, your choice.

As BT owns the infrastructure, if you're with any provider, you're *technically* with BT, but paying another provider for the service. You're paying so much money for a service you can get cheaper elsewhere. Potentially saving you hundreds each year!

48 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

As BT owns the infrastructure, if you're with any provider, you're *technically* with BT, but paying another provider for the service. You're paying so much money for a service you can get cheaper elsewhere. Potentially saving you hundreds each year!

Potentially giving me headaches as the connection drops out or customer service stinks, but I hope it works out well for you :)

23 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

This......*points up*. BT for me..........?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrsSeren said:

So my dad is account holder for Broadband; we use Vodafone however I personally find that it can randomly drop out and my dad ignores my rants on this.

I think a lot of it depends on your current setup connection and a bunch of other factors. How far away you live from the exchange etc. etc. Touch wood, ever since upgrading to Fibre, I've had 0 problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.