Let us remove the firestorm experience...

InkScape

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a little puzzled by this, though. The jira lists only Linden Experiences associated with this permanence, but somehow Firestorm has such an Experience, too? So do all the TPVs get one of these if they ask for it? How about other user groups that do new user training in their regions? How about still other groups that can make a compelling case that their users shouldn't (accidentally?) exit their Experiences?

This doesn't seem super-worrisome in this case, but if I'm understanding it correctly, it is... special, in a special way.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm a little puzzled by this, though. The jira lists only Linden Experiences associated with this permanence, but somehow Firestorm has such an Experience, too? So do all the TPVs get one of these if they ask for it? How about other user groups that do new user training in their regions? How about still other groups that can make a compelling case that their users shouldn't (accidentally?) exit their Experiences?

This doesn't seem super-worrisome in this case, but if I'm understanding it correctly, it is... special, in a special way.

The experience is nothing to do with TPVs.
It's for the Firestorm Community Gateway.
I'm not actually sure if any other Community Gateway orientation region has one of these "special" experiences to be honest.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

tail flicks side to side,
butt wiggle prepared,
ears are perked,
eyes locked on the mousy hole,

Nuuu, not to hunt him, I has chocolate mousy treats in paw

Nah, but Patch will eventually be caught by someone of the LDPW as this ancient verse of prophecy teaches us...

Three crumbs for the nezumi under the sky,
Seven for the mole-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for onion mesh doomed to die,
One for the Ebbe on his high throne
In the Land of Linden where the wonders lie.

One crumb to rule him whole, One crumb to find him,
One crumb to bring him home, and in the darkness bind him,
In the Land of Linden where the wonders lie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

The experience is nothing to do with TPVs.
It's for the Firestorm Community Gateway.
I'm not actually sure if any other Community Gateway orientation region has one of these "special" experiences to be honest.

Presumably it's there so that the Community Gateway can do something like attach HUDs to new residents, or teleport them, because the designers of the region didn't want to have to explain, at that point in the orientation process, how to teleport/accept an inventory offer and wear a hud/whatever it is, and also don't want to deal with new residents not clicking the agree dialog when asked for experience perms (because they don't understand it, or they're not looking or something).

It seems perfectly sensible and innocuous to me, and I think anyone who is prepared to accept the minimal risks involved in using a third party viewer certainly shouldn't object to the far smaller risks involved in having this experience.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, InkScape said:

So I'm on a new alt, talk about desperately trying to find SOMETHING to complain about. Grow up. As for the viewer comment, its based on experience....on both my gaming rig and my MacBook, Alchemy performs faster looks better. Its a simple fact. And not just me, a few of my friends are using it and reporting the same thing. What I would like to know is why are you so angry?. Surely my original post hasn't rattled your cage THAT much. Perhaps time to evaluate your life choices.

You all get so upset over so little. My post was simply stating that I would like to be able to remove the experience. I am more than well aware that there is zero chance of it being abused. I just don't like the fact that its forced upon you to the point of being irremovable when the chance of the average person ever being near that experience again is 0. I see no harm in stating this. You all need some chill in your lives.

Well, y'see...you posted with a new-ish alt, but also stated you're a long term resident.  And proceeded to complain about an extremely popular viewer.  And then put in a plug for a different viewer in the same post.  It's really easy to see that as a competitor using an alt to post disparaging remarks.  You should've seen it coming, really.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have a super brilliant idea: Create another account, something like InkScape20 aka Ink Scape 2.0 (which looks way more professional because of a higher version number), and login with the Linden Lab viewer for the first time, evading the Firestorm Community Gateway. Problem solved!

P.S.: Did I mention InkScape20 would look far more professional?

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

It seems perfectly sensible and innocuous to me, and I think anyone who is prepared to accept the minimal risks involved in using a third party viewer certainly shouldn't object to the far smaller risks involved in having this experience.  

Again, it isn't about the Firestorm Viewer. The dedicated Team members who volunteer at the Gateway offer assistance to any new resident (even older residents) whether they are using Firestorm or the official Second Life Viewer. And they do so much more than that! I am continually amazed and astonished at the level of dedication and creativity from this part of the team, and I'm sure they probably don't get the credit and thanks they deserve. *tips my hat to the Gateway Peeps* 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 9/16/2018 at 10:04 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

Presumably it's there so that the Community Gateway can do something like attach HUDs to new residents, or teleport them, because the designers of the region didn't want to have to explain, at that point in the orientation process, how to teleport/accept an inventory offer and wear a hud/whatever it is, and also don't want to deal with new residents not clicking the agree dialog when asked for experience perms (because they don't understand it, or they're not looking or something).

This is mostly it.  We've been working with them and their gateway, doing some testing and analytics.   To protect and ensure the smoothest on boarding experience with the least amount of resistance to a new user, I gave this experience the unique flag that allows for this to happen a good long time ago.

Any other questions, you know where to find me!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.