When will the 38 attachment limit be increased?

JessieHoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It was fine until I start to wear various jewelry and other mesh attachments. They chew the attachment slots like crazy. Now I am 33/38 even when naked. So I am just wondering when we can get more than 38 attachments. I will be fine to pay some fee for this if Linden make the attachment limit increase a charged service.

This may or may not be one of the perks in the new Premium packages (I think Ebbe said this at the town hall but please don't quote me).    BUT personally I think there are too many already and it is the folks that wear all those attachments that are the major cause of AVATAR LAG amongst us.   So, again personally, I hope it doesn't happen. I am currently wearing NO ATTACHMENTS so it can be done -- LOL

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

This may or may not be one of the perks in the new Premium packages (I think Ebbe said this at the town hall but please don't quote me).    BUT personally I think there are too many already and it is the folks that wear all those attachments that are the major cause of AVATAR LAG amongst us.   So, again personally, I hope it doesn't happen. I am currently wearing NO ATTACHMENTS so it can be done -- LOL

I understand your concern and I hate lags as well. But most attachments I wear has no scripts in it, yet skill they take up slots. Especially jewerly and accessories - they have "left and right, ear, finger, wrist and ankle" parts. Each of them takes a slot. That is why my slots are quickly filled. And there can be a poorly-optimized script put in a single attachment that consumes huge resource, even it only counts as 1 attachment.

1 hour ago, JessieHoo said:

I understand your concern and I hate lags as well. But most attachments I wear has no scripts in it, yet skill they take up slots. Especially jewerly and accessories - they have "left and right, ear, finger, wrist and ankle" parts. Each of them takes a slot. That is why my slots are quickly filled. And there can be a poorly-optimized script put in a single attachment that consumes huge resource, even it only counts as 1 attachment.

Scripts are not the only issue. Have you looked at your avatar complexity figures?  I am not picking on you but I see folks in venues with so very many attachments on and even worn animated pets etc. And they are the ones complaining bout lag :D.   I just changed outfits and have 13 slots filled now which of course includes my mesh body and head.   

The problem is that while some folks will pay attention to their attachments they are only a fraction of the ones that will not. That has been proven over and over again.   

So yes, you may someday if you opt in (maybe) see more attachment points. So I guess that is OK news. The jury seems to still be out on that though so no promises. 

• Like 2

Don't forget that your HUDs count too. So, if you remove your unused ones, like the body alpha, head animator, and possibly also consider using a TPV and using the inbuilt AO. Firestorm and Catznip (I think) now have a favourites button where you can store your HUDs for super fast attach and detach.

If you are skilled at editing, you might be able to save some slots by linking Modify items. This might be possible with earrings or any modify rigged items you have.

Otherwise, such a change would be a fairly big one (even if it seems small). When attachment points are added anyone on older viewers will see a mess, possibly even crash. As XP isn't really supported much any more but people are using that operating system it's another straw on the cammels back that will force them to spend US$600ish to keep playing.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Don't forget that your HUDs count too. So, if you remove your unused ones, like the body alpha, head animator, and possibly also consider using a TPV and using the inbuilt AO. Firestorm and Catznip (I think) now have a favourites button where you can store your HUDs for super fast attach and detach.

If you are skilled at editing, you might be able to save some slots by linking Modify items. This might be possible with earrings or any modify rigged items you have.

Otherwise, such a change would be a fairly big one (even if it seems small). When attachment points are added anyone on older viewers will see a mess, possibly even crash. As XP isn't really supported much any more but people are using that operating system it's another straw on the cammels back that will force them to spend US$600ish to keep playing.

Thank you, I have not tried the favorite button and I will see how it works.

3 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

What the hell do people attach to fill up 38 spots?!

weeeell !  seeing as how you are wondering

am inworld right now. So lets see, from the top

1. hair
2. neko ears
3. left jewel earring
4. right jewel earring
5. eyebrow jewel ring
6. eyelashes
7. undereye jewel studs
8. nose jewel stud
9. facelight
10. jewelled choker
11. mesh body
12. chibi wings
13. spine jewels
14. neko tail
15. body star point lights
16. jewelled left arm warmer
17. jewelled right arm warmer
18. left wrist jewelled bangle
19. left hand jewel bangle
20. right hand jewel bangle
21. left hand jewel finger rings
22. right hand jewel finger rings
23. jewel fingernails
24. right hand particles emitter
25. left hand particles emitter
26. mesh top
27. mesh unders
28. mesh skirt
29. tummy jewel
30. left ankle jewel
31. right ankle jewels
32. slink left foot
33. slink right foot
34. mesh jeweled heels
35. ankle straightener script hud
36. smile hud
37. dance hud
38. AO hud

when I want to wear my other body jewels then I have to get naked :)

just say that with everything above my Complexity is 76651. Which is where I am pretty much at with all my outfits

ps. It doesn't really matter to me how many attachment points we have. I will easy find a way to use them all, however many there are

• Like 3

There's one more trick - rez your rigged apparel, link it, pick it up as one item and wear it on one attachment slot. In my demonic getup I had to do that with an outfit as I ran out of attachment points. Shoes, sabatons, kilt, breastplate, vambracers, cape - one attachment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ellestones said:

@Orwar

yes defo agree about linking as much rigged stuff as we can. Why rigged mesh is sold No Mod just makes me want to smash things :)

Same. For that reason - and because several creators feel a NEED to make EVERYTHING materials enabled, usually without the slightest inclination of restraint, to the point that everything looks like it was made out of latex. <.<

• Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Same. For that reason - and because several creators feel a NEED to make EVERYTHING materials enabled, usually without the slightest inclination of restraint, to the point that everything looks like it was made out of latex. <.<

Oh yeah baby! Nomod latex sweatpants with over done boner outline!

Haute couture pour homme en SL

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

The favorite wearable button has fast become one of my favorite FS features ever!

How in the heck did I not discover this when I installed the last Firestorm release?  o.O

I created my own similar thing - a special named folder at the very top of my inventory with links to the things that I wanted to be able to quickly detach/attach.

• Like 1

Demos... try a demo before you buy anything.

I used to just look at fit. Does the item fit or is it loose or too tight and I poke through? Not much else was a concern. Now I ALWAYS check ACI (Avatar Complexity). While I now know that is inaccurate it is the easy check. I sometimes press Ctrl-Shift-R to see how dense the polygon count is. Amd now... Script load is a problem and I check that too.

I used to run between 2MB and 3MB of script. Now, I have to take off most of my HUD's just to stay in the low 3MB numbers. When I fly or sail I have a special outfit containing a copies of my Slink body and feet with scripts removed, saving 1,280KB of scripts. I use my classic head look to save another 384KB (GA.EG Jennifer head, teeth, and AO HUD). OMG, when I use my nude starter body to begin an outfit it is right at 5MB of scripts as I have all the HUD's on and FS is having a panic attack from all textures in the HUD's.

Now I look at the FS Wearing tab to see how many attachments I have. That nude starter outfit uses 20 of 38... Four of those are HUD's I'll take off once the outfit is complete. But while dressing I may use 5 to 6 HUD's from fat packs to get the color combinations I want. 

So, I have 15 slots available for the outfit... I have to start juggling HUD's if I go over 15 or so attachments. Combining left and right hands and feet or all hands and feet could free up some attachment points taking 4 or 5 to one. But, Slink is no mod as are most mesh body parts.

The simple solution is to ave the Lab give us more attachment points. Maybe as a premium perk. But, more attachments has an impact on performance

Designers and Lindens have talked about increasing the attachment limit. So, I think the idea is on the 'Linden mind'. But, how to do that and provide performance too?

I suspect there will be no change in the attachment limit until after ARCTan (the revised ACI & LI) algorithm is revised and begins to have an effect. BoM and Animesh are factors that may have a big impact on script load and attachment count. My belief is until the Lindens see how these new features shake up the SL design world and we see how users make use of them, or not, there is little if any chance the limit will change. But, I've been wrong before.

9 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

What the hell do people attach to fill up 38 spots?!

This is me using all 38 spots and still short one to be able to wear everything,because I still needed to wear one hud..hehehehe

36136634763_cb8f960d36_b.jpg

I don't go walking around with all this stuff on,but they are nice to have for photography :)

• Like 3

It's probably important for some residents to realize that you cannot play some games like Horizons, Linden Realms, Tyrah and the Glytches, and PaleoQuest if you have maxxed out on your attachments. All of those games require you to attach HUDs or other objects -- often auto-attached, because they are managed by the Experience -- so if you have no attachment points left, you're out of luck.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

How in the heck did I not discover this when I installed the last Firestorm release?  o.O

I created my own similar thing - a special named folder at the very top of my inventory with links to the things that I wanted to be able to quickly detach/attach.

Best part is, it's a button too. I put mine right next to resync animations.

99c5ab38b05a1b2c4e334623c92b0d77.thumb.png.263dfe6d154c3b8ab278d487c81123f6.png

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.