Strange things have been happening

Liamsrealm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Within the last month I have had some strange things occurring while logged into to second life.

Firstly within the past month my account has been logging out when I go afk for 10 minutes or more, I have checked to be sure my firestorm settings are set to "never". and everything in my viewer seems fine, so I asked in the firestorm group if they had any ideas, they said check net power and connections, so I shut off the computer and re plugged everything in, but the problem came back and still persists.

Secondly after moving from one sim to another thinking that the sim I was on may be the problem. The sim I moved to has no other residents. But two times now while standing in the middle of my home it was like I was being griefed, I had a white cloud move through my home and knock me around a bit before it dissipated. The second time I had on an anit griefing hud but when actived it said there were no other residents and I checked, no one else had been on the sim but me. I also have my parcel deeded to my personal group, and the setting is group only for the land access.

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

Well, those are definitely two unrelated things.

Shutting off and rebooting will fix many things, but it won't change a sleep setting.  You need to check in System/Devices.  Find your network interface driver.  See if it is set to go to sleep after 10 minutes or so.  It may also help to check your power plan settings. 

Since the white cloud attacking you appears not to be an actual resident, perhaps it is an object sent into your sim by another resident outside it.  This could happen if the land is set to "allow object entry".  Also check About Land and look in the Objects tab.  See if there are any objects on your land that don't belong to you.  If you find any, use your other object finding tools to determine where and what they are, and return any suspicious ones.  Finally, is there anyone except you in your "personal group"?  Perhaps an ex-friend?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the help, I had no idea that someone could send scripts from other sims/parcels.. That explains it. There is no one in my group that would do anything devious (short list) just people I know in RL and are not very tech savvy.

If they can send a script to bounce me around (outsiders) then perhaps they can send a script to knock me off line. I made the appropriate changes in the land options, so we will see if that has been the cause, at least there was another advantage to my sim move, cheaper tier and no neighbors using to many scripts making the sim laggy. Again thank you, you may have solved the riddle and perhaps had they not sent the griefing script at me, I may have never figured out how I was being kicked all the time.

• Like 1

I see, well, they must have at some point. I assumed that if I had "access" to the land restricted to the group only that rezzing objects would be limited to that as well. But I went into the land options and took off script and rezzing and limited all that to group only.

I'm still having a problem with being kicked when going afk. Iv'e searched high and low for a setting on my computer that might be the cause, I run windows 10.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liamsrealm said:

I'm still having a problem with being kicked when going afk.

What is the exact log off/disconnect message that the viewer gives you when this happens?
If you can take a screenshot of it the next time it happens & post it here, that would be very helpful.

The exact wording is very important & can be very telling about the cause.
Thanks!

• Like 1

OK, so the next thing is to determine if the problem is actually the SL region, or something about your internet connection.  Does this problem, with the same error message, occur wherever you are, or only on a certain region, or regions?

Oh, and an unrelated thought.  Does the problem occur ONLY when you are AFK?  Or do you get logged off after a few minutes whether you are AFK or active?

• Like 1

Well, so far just when afk (minimized viewer) and it's only been in the past month, so the only two sims I have went afk are the two sims I owned the parcels in. Both sims are private sims not connected to mainland. Strangely, as much as I have been testing this recently (purposely going afk for periods of time) After I posted my last post. I tested when I logged back in and for 5 hours straight, no problem at all, even logged an alt in for testing.

• Like 1

I'm not clear if you found these settings: NIC Sleep Settings Both wired and wireless have sleep settings.

You probably should look through you modem/gateway settings to see if there is something in there. Unlikely. But, you can Google your gateway model and get instructions and recommendations for settings.

You may want to check your viewer's 'BackgroundYieldTime' setting in Debug Settings. In 2011 Torley was recommending 200ms... 40 is the default. With newer computers smaller numbers like 40 should not be a problem. You could play with this setting to see if it has an effect. If you multitask or are running multiple viewers and your computer is having problem keeping up, this setting may make a difference.

You may want to set your AFK time out to 5 minutes, close the viewer, relaunch the viewer, and reset to NEVER with another relog. If the settings file is wacky on this point this should force a clean up.

You can open the secondlife.log file and read the file end to see if you can determine what is happening with apparent AFK logouts. Specifically check the lost packet numbers as they often trigger a logout.

Over the last month I've been wondering what is up with my connection. Testing says it is fine. Plus, I see a number of regions going red on the World and Mini (radar) maps. They come back in a few minutes. But, it has made for some interesting navigation while flying and sailing. But, there is NO flood of "i'm getting logged off..." complaints. So, I tend to think it is me or the viewer. But, I see the same oddities with Catznip and Linden viewers. So... I'm left wondering and testing.

There are free region restart trackers and performance meters. So, you can monitor your region to see if it is the SL simulator.

7 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You may want to set your AFK time out to 5 minutes, close the viewer, relaunch the viewer, and reset to NEVER with another relog. If the settings file is wacky on this point this should force a clean up.

I have always set to "Never" also my comp power settings are "Never" as well.

7 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Over the last month I've been wondering what is up with my connection. Testing says it is fine. Plus, I see a number of regions going red on the World and Mini (radar) maps. They come back in a few minutes. But, it has made for some interesting navigation while flying and sailing. But, there is NO flood of "i'm getting logged off..." complaints. So, I tend to think it is me or the viewer. But, I see the same oddities with Catznip and Linden viewers. So... I'm left wondering and testing.

There are free region restart trackers and performance meters. So, you can monitor your region to see if it is the SL simulator.

I have tried quite a few viewers too, just to make sure it wasn't an undiscovered bug in FS. I think it just may be something going on with SL

12 hours ago, Liamsrealm said:

I have always set to "Never" also my comp power settings are "Never" as well.

I have tried quite a few viewers too, just to make sure it wasn't an undiscovered bug in FS. I think it just may be something going on with SL

My point was to cycle the setting to make sure the settings file is rewritten.

As you are about the only one talking about the problem, it is most likely your computer or connection. When something happens on the SL side we see the question/complaint popping up all over. Firestorm support is flooded with reports of generalized issues. I haven't been seeing that.

That your problem goes across viewers, that leaves your account and connection...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.