What mesh bodies do you use?

Tess Falworth

DO you know how to open and wear? I have been to a full permission sand box. I rez the box out. It says click to wear.. It wont open... I did get the skin to open but I walk around with a card on my screen following me HUGE CARD says eyebrows base etc.. LOL

I am a mess...

1 hour ago, skrafty said:

So I need a body, a head, body skins, head skins, and body applier and a head applier too!

you just need to be sure that the head skin applier and the body skin applier are made by the same maker and they are in the same colour... otherwise you are gona have some matching issues.

1 hour ago, skrafty said:

DO you know how to open and wear? I have been to a full permission sand box. I rez the box out. It says click to wear.. It wont open... I did get the skin to open but I walk around with a card on my screen following me HUGE CARD says eyebrows base etc.. LOL

if the box that the item you want to unpack says wear me.. then just click and wear;   a menu should come up asking you to accept a folder,  accept that.. then in your inventory you will see in recent.. that folder which should contain all the appliers,  pick the one you need and click on it and add .. the applier should show up on your screen and you then click on that to get the applier to go on to your body or head which ever one you are using.  If the box does not say wear me then you have to rezz it,  then click on it and click on open.. then the folder will go into your recent items in your inventory.

15 hours ago, skrafty said:

WHere would I go to get the  Maitreya  body with bento hands included and skin? If I bought a Head in tan.. does the body and skin come with??? I am a little lost here. LOL

I bought the Entity Catwa head in Tan

14 hours ago, skrafty said:

So I need a body, a head, body skins, head skins, and body applier and a head applier too!

14 hours ago, skrafty said:

I cant even open these things. I am a real mess...

These are understandable questions. You're thinking. Every person new to SL goes through the process. Even when you go through the initial sign-in classes you'll have questions. They do not do a complete job of explaining SL and how to do things or even what things are. I think their idea was to get people started without overwhelming them.

So, now you are in and it is a bit overwhelming...

So... Google is your friend on this sort of thing, games and tutorials. While horribly biased for politics and news, it has everything 'game'. GOOGLE

The SL Wiki has introductory videos that teach most of what you need to know. And of course, YouTube has a load of them. You can filter Google and YouTube by 'date' to get the more recent information. Anything you find is going to require some thinking and head scratching if you are missing a key point... which is: SL is continuously changing. You'll have figure out what is out of date and ignore it. No easy thing. We'll help.

Old stuff is about the "Classic" body and newer stuff a mix of "Classic" and "Mesh". It gets confusing because we tend to mix it all up together. Plus, we use SL jargon and that has to be learned. It requires a flexible mind to understand.

The avatar is a special render in the SL system. Everything else is 'prim' (primitive) objects and they render differently. Mesh is prim and that adds options not possible with the Classic avatar. To be clear on the difference read through Mesh vs Classic Bodies.

The mesh bodies are somewhat like cars. Each manufacturer does their thing, similar but different. Most Ford and Chevy parts are not interchangeable. With mesh bodies that is especially true of clothes. However, tire makers make their product fit almost all makes of car. This is true of mesh hands, feet, bodies, and heads. You can pretty much mix and match all the parts. Skins are very much like tires in that skins tend to be made to work with most mesh body parts. And because of that you can put most skins on your Frankin-body avatar, mix brands. The mix of brands complicates things but generally works. But, there are gotchas. So, read the label and try the demos before buying and when still in doubt ask.

Join groups like NCore shoes and Blueberry or Addams in-world groups or if you have a favorite designer join their group. Those are great places to ask 'does X work with Y?' and 'how do I ...?' type questions.

You'll find that some things are meant to be opened, others wore, and others 'worn and applied'. There is no easy way to tell you which is which. It isn't YOU that is the mess when it comes to opening, wearing, or applying. You learn and get a sense of that with experience. After 10+ years I still end up unintentionally wearing a box on my head or rezzing a HUD on the floor now and then. :/ 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is kind of an old thread at this point, but I wear Belleza Isis and I'm always really sad when designers don't include it in their mesh options. Honestly I think the most used bodies are by far Maitreya, and then Belleza Isis/Freya and then Hourglass. I think more people used to wear Hourglass but I see it less and less every time I'm out and about in-world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jade Glazner said:

I know this is kind of an old thread at this point, but I wear Belleza Isis and I'm always really sad when designers don't include it in their mesh options.

Yes, my alt wears Isis and I have noticed when shopping for her that a lot of designers are leaving it out now and just creating for Freya and Venus.

I have Maitreya, all Belleza bodies and Kemono on this toon. I much prefer Belleza to Maitreya (and would also prefer the Tonic and Slink bodies which I own on other toons) but feel like I have to wear Maitreya most of the time as it's hard enough to find the style of clothing I like, let alone find it for a range of bodies. I purchased it begrudgingly.

3 hours ago, Jade Glazner said:

I know this is kind of an old thread at this point, but I wear Belleza Isis and I'm always really sad when designers don't include it in their mesh options. Honestly I think the most used bodies are by far Maitreya, and then Belleza Isis/Freya and then Hourglass. I think more people used to wear Hourglass but I see it less and less every time I'm out and about in-world.

I’m seeing things made for Isis more and more, usually if the maker has a set for Maitreya and Hourglass when they include Freya they include Isis too. Not always but I’m seeing it more and more.

Its a nice alternative for Maitreya

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am in the minority, but I am an Altamura Bento addict. I own two of them and pair them with my own shapes and with a variety of makeup options. Altamura was my first mesh body. I got it because the head was attached and I didn't want to fuss with matching skins. I was a late adapter from the classic bod, and wanted simplicity. 

Later, I tried Lara on an alt with a few different heads to see what the fuss was about. I did like Catwa heads, but was not overly impressed with the Lara body. In the end, I moved the alts to Altmura. A side benefit, these bodies it seems to me are less laggy.

No, I am not being paid or compensated for this post. 😘

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes

19 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I am in the minority, but I am an Altamura Bento addict. I own two of them and pair them with my own shapes and with a variety of makeup options. Altamura was my first mesh body. I got it because the head was attached and I didn't want to fuss with matching skins. I was a late adapter from the classic bod, and wanted simplicity. 

Later, I tried Lara on an alt with a few different heads to see what the fuss was about. I did like Catwa heads, but was not overly impressed with the Lara body. In the end, I moved the alts to Altmura. A side benefit, these bodies it seems to me are less laggy.

No, I am not being paid or compensated for this post. 😘

Where do you find clothes for them?

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Cesartje said:

I am a guy, so I use Beleza Jake and Exmachina Davide. I always considered getting a kemono to use with my anime head.

Ah what a good goy using my brand  😂🤣. Btw I suggest you all to try the demo and give a chance to my avatar, is easy to use and in 2 years none of my customers have complain about  complexity!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

as for FEMALE bodies, I have made a poll. This is the result after a bit over 1K entries, the poll is still open and has roughly 2K entries but without any significant changes of the results shown

if you still would like to vote, you can do this here (doubles are getting deleted) https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSckoLJvMOBkyut9VnE3DN0EhAsAByybJShD8tCBr3vCCckuag/viewform

meshbodysurvey-2019.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 2:27 PM, xxSaltandPepperxx said:

correct, though Legacy was not out yet in 2018. And it picked up very quickly

On 10/6/2019 at 4:33 AM, janetosilio said:

I agree, things can change quickly in a year.

On 10/4/2019 at 9:16 AM, xxSaltandPepperxx said:

meshbodysurvey-2019.jpg

I believe the title of the chart is a misnomer by omission; in my mind it should read "[...] Forum Users Choice" and by that because the sampling is a tiny fraction of the grid at-large, unless the chart creator/survey manager can provide and cite sources other than the forums. Though the information is interesting, it is heavily skewed, data-wise.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:14 AM, janetosilio said:

Polls are interesting. That one shows Maitreya is firmly #1, with Legacy taking Slink and Belleza's lunch. Meanwhile, Strawberry Singh's yearly poll has Maitreya at #1, but Freya and Slink Hourglass with respectable numbers.

https://strawberrysingh.com/2018/12/03/berrys-2018-mesh-body-parts-survey/

Says I need to look at ad blockers and browser settings to see them... disabled blockers, allowed cookies... can't see either the poll or it's results (I presume a nearly year old poll can no longer be voted in, but I wanted to see the results...).

5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I believe the title of the chart is a misnomer by omission; in my mind it should read "[...] Forum Users Choice" and by that because the sampling is a tiny fraction of the grid at-large, unless the chart creator/survey manager can provide and cite sources other than the forums. Though the information is interesting, it is heavily skewed, data-wise.

I’m not sure where she got her sampling from. But even still, 1000+ is nothing to sneeze at. She could’ve solicited responses from groups in world. I seriously doubt she got 1000 responses from this forum.

My only real take away is that Legacy has made a significant gain. That’s not really surprising, the amount of people asking creators for Legacy stuff in group chats alone tells me there are a significant user base. At least three times while I’m logged in, someone comes into one of the groups I’m in and goes “Did they start making things for Legacy?”

I wouldn’t call the data heavily skewed though. It’s going to be skewed just because it’s from a blog where most followers are going to tend to like the same type of things she as the blogger likes. Which...is how blogging works. Still 1000 responses is worth noting. 

You’re right though, it is interesting. By the time Strawberry does her poll in December, we could see different numbers. What I’m seeing though, Legacy is taking primarily from Belleza and Slink. That’s the trend I’m seeing already.

14 hours ago, janetosilio said:

By the time Strawberry does her poll in December, we could see different numbers. What I’m seeing though, Legacy is taking primarily from Belleza and Slink. That’s the trend I’m seeing already.

I'm wondering if Strawberry resident will publish a poll this year, because Strawberry Linden :)

Legacy takes away from Belleza Isis, certainly, though the Belleza brand is kind of an offshoot in this regard: Originally, when purchasing a Belleza you got all three bodies; they weren't available individually (that was the case when I purchased mine too long ago to remember exactly when). Now that they are available as individual purchases, the specific body type does matter now as it is a purchasing decision where before it was yes or no to the entire brand. So I wonder how that breakdown actually works (how the belleza should be tallied: individually or as a brand - because I use more than one sometimes.)

The "in thing" for the last couple years now has been to go for the overweight look (not trying to insult everyone, but not gonna sugarcoat what it is, either) and the Freya (or Isis, I forget which, now) makes it far easier than most other mesh bodies to achieve that look decently, save for the Slink Curvy, Legacy and , yes, Piggu, which iI believe is actually the best looking overweight of all of them in terms of shape and proportional modeling at least.

Since the Legacy is geared toward the overweight look, it makes perfect sense that it is the Isis/Freya and Curvy markets that it's eating through. I don't have the Curvy (I have the other one, not a fan, though) - and one thing is clear: the Legacy and Belleza are very high-quality models in terms of attention-to-detail, such as knees and shoulders and armpits, where others fall amazingly short.

In short, the truest competitors in this "high-quality" space will be these three, with Legacy as the newest shiny. As for popularity, most popular does not mean highest quality or better. As long as we each feel we get6 the benefit and value for the price paid and we are happy with that, nothing else really matters, right?

Yes, for those wondering, I do know Strawberry's last name, I call her resident with a lower-case R. :P 

Edited by Alyona Su