Picture-Taking Annoyance

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

And everyone has the right to use the viewer that best suits them. ? I was wondering myself why it had stopped asking, thank you for the thread so i now know and so I am happy Beq and Whirly and Willow were kind enough to point to the cause - the Lab made another ill considered change.

I concur with them, it's absolutely best to watch the jira and possibly make comment there so your views are not completely ignored. 

Jira is there to give us an auditable voice, and always the best place (possibly only) place to list a point of view so a Linden reads it. Here on the forums it's way too much hit and miss - as you very well know - to the proper (or any) Linden seeing it.

Myself, I am super happy a change is coming in the viewer I use to revert the action. It's really a silly one and has messed my photos up a lot. Hope your preferred viewer is fixed soon too.

No.

Jira is not that thing.

I'm banned from the Jira because I insisted that a bug was really a bug and not a feature -- a feature that a certain Linden was wedded to.

So I can't even read Jira and that is not the solution -- far fewer people read the Jira than even the forums so the forums of course are a viable means of expression, and I have

seen Lindens respond to forums concerns many times.

This annoyance comes JUST as we are forced to rely on saving photos to hard drive to put on a drive or upload to social media BECAUSE the social media/photo thinger is busted. It has taken a lot of the fun out of SL for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

It's just really frustrating for QA & devs to hear from someone that there is a bug & "many people" have the problem & then never get a factual report for said bug from anyone.
If no-one reports the bug through the proper channels, it isn't going to get fixed.
Quite honestly, most reports of "broken" mesh physics turn out to be user error when they are investigated.
Getting mesh physics right is a tricky thing, even for the best creators.

If I had L$1 for every pseudo-report of a bug in Firestorm that "all my friends are having" that turns out to be not a bug or nothing to do with the viewer at all, or even nothing to do with SL at all even, I'd be an SL millionaire by now.

IF there is a real bug, we want to know about it so it can be fixed.
Being given the run around just wastes everyones time.
Perhaps we are a little touchy because this kind of thing happens so often, but that's just the way it is. For us, hearing from a 3rd party about a possible viewer bug over & over again in various forum posts & not being able to get any clarifying info so it can be looked into is extremely frustrating.

Well, they're free to unban me at any time.

I used to contribute significantly to the Jira.

Imagine, there was a time when the viewer said "Second Life is brought to you by....name name name Prokofy Neva name name."

True story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'm banned from the Jira

Sorry to hear you were banned Prok.

All you can hope, I guess, is that the Lab see what the FS team are doing by making it optional and grab that patch for themselves.

Have you thought of attending an Developers Users Group and asking Oz? Maybe that will prod him to merge the change back upstream?

18 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I'll file a LL JIRA issue asking for the change to be made optional & link to this forum thread.

I've often wished there was a small text entry box up the top of the floater. Type "something" in there and the photos are something_001, 002.... change it to "nextplace" and the photos are nextplace_001 and so on.

Edit: Ooops, didn't mean to quote you specifically Whirly :) sorry! 

Edited by Callum Meriman

I noticed this, but I generally am in the habit of hitting save as, and specifying where the pictures go when I take my first picture after logging on, ever since some racy pictures were automatically put in a file that is shared with my computer and my husbands.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

I've often wished there was a small text entry box up the top of the floater. Type "something" in there and the photos are something_001, 002.... change it to "nextplace" and the photos are nextplace_001 and so on.

Edit: Ooops, didn't mean to quote you specifically Whirly :) sorry! 

Use Save As on the first picture, all the rest assume that name until you do a Save As again.

32 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I noticed this, but I generally am in the habit of hitting save as, and specifying where the pictures go when I take my first picture after logging on, ever since some racy pictures were automatically put in a file that is shared with my computer and my husbands.

You've nailed it. I'll also mention this - targeted at any Firestorm Devs: One feature that Catznip has is a preference setting to use variables in snapshots: [Name] %R %D %T - where Name is the name you choose (default "Snapshot") and the R, D, and T are Region, Date, and Time being appended to the name. All optional, of course, and arranged in any order you like, etc..

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Willow Wilder said:

Oh those Kitty Bunz haz lotsa goodies, but they like to hide stuffs. ?

OMG yessss. Definitely LOL

But for those who love hunts, it's perfect! I've found almost all the Firestorm features (that I'm interested in) in Catznip by now. Hahaha

• Like 1

be cool if it could be a little like lightroom upon export an image where it gives you 'options' either like date, custom  name + sequential number etc... have that set in the dialog bog. Could even include an option of using he sim name or username. But it is  quick thing I suppose to set the first image name than to spend hours of dev time on that .....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.